Gay couples can marry in California now

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sulu of star trek fame got married to his partner I hear, but its not Captain Kurk.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gay couples in Cali better get married QUICK. I think it was Fox that did a poll, and almost 80% does NOT want gay marriage. It's a sad truth, so they'd better do it now because it probably won't be around long.

Are you kidding me with this? Fox Noise?

Here is better information:

An actual field poll.

Beyond Homophobia The Field Poll: Hopeful News For Marriage Equality Supporters

Pensito Review Poll: Californians Oppose Anti-Marriage Constitutional Amendment by Wide Margin

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I find this wonderful, I just am curious can a gay or lesbian couple from another state, lets say Oregon go to California and get married, just like straight couples can go to another state and get married, I know it would not be legally recognized here in Oregon, but it would be a nice feeling that my relationship is legally recognized somewhere.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I find this wonderful, I just am curious can a gay or lesbian couple from another state, lets say Oregon go to California and get married, just like straight couples can go to another state and get married, I know it would not be legally recognized here in Oregon, but it would be a nice feeling that my relationship is legally recognized somewhere.

You don't have to be a California resident to get married here, unlike Massachusetts. So technically it's legal here, regardless of whether it is in your home state.

Personally I'm thrilled, though not for personal reasons (I have issues with marriage (read: issues with commitment) that have nothing to do with sexual orientation. That said, I hope the novelty and excitement boils over before the state Constitutional amendment comes up for plebiscite in the fall simply because I believe it's a ridiculous concept to be against, and I suspect the majority of Californians agree with me. The more it appears to be "normalized" will help when we vote in November.

I do have to admit it was hilarious to be out tonight with two friends who have been together for about 5 years and when the "hey you can married now" thing came up both of them got really uncomfortable and said at the same time "So what's up with those Lakers?"

I love that it seems like the immediate impact was the straightification of gay relationships. :biggrin1:

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've seen this movie before. California will ban gay marriage constitutionally, in this November's general election. Enjoy it while you can...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Kern County Clerk Ann Barnett announced that her office would no longer solemnize marriages for same-sex or opposite-sex couples. (Los Angeles Times story) They will still process licenses for all couples; they just will not perform any civil ceremonies. The conservative christian Alliance Defense Fund has offered legal protection to any clerks who refuse to marry any couple.

I'm interested to see how that plays out in the courts.

Hmm.... I'd be surprised if solemnizing marriages wasn't in her job description, but if it isn't, then she's right to stop all marriages rather than just same-sex. It must be an all or nothing deal.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm.... I'd be surprised if solemnizing marriages wasn't in her job description, but if it isn't, then she's right to stop all marriages rather than just same-sex. It must be an all or nothing deal.
I often make predictions about this sort of thing, but this time, I'm really not sure what she's up to.

My guess is that she will *whisper* to the straight couples, "don't worry, we'll just hold on to this until after we get a constitutional amendment. Then we can make you official, and not be forced to make them official."

I often make predictions about this sort of thing, but this time, I'm really not sure what she's up to.

My guess is that she will *whisper* to the straight couples, "don't worry, we'll just hold on to this until after we get a constitutional amendment. Then we can make you official, and not be forced to make them official."

OR she's afraid her understaffed office will be mobbed and they will be unable to cope with all the requests so rather than leave some people out (pardon the pun), they'll have to just refuse everyone. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

It must also be noted that nobody who wants to get married at city hall is interested in waiting for amendments to get passed. They want to be married NOW.

D

deleted213967

What took California so long? Gay penople have been getting married in Massachusetts for 3 years now!

It's a bigger deal for CA, being the #1 state. Had Gavin Newsom maneuvered more conservatively (using the proper legal channels) during the first attempt in the state, he may have been more successful sooner.

I wonder how the reactionary ballot measure will fare in November...

I should hope that even if it passes, the annulments will not be retroactive. That would be so cruel.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So when parts of California fall into the pacific ocean the bible thumpers will be blaming it on this. Wheres that weird ass from Kansas at now.