Gay couples look alike?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by airc3, Feb 21, 2011.

1. airc3

airc3 New Member

Albums:
    Is it my imagination, or do most gay couples look alike? I've been looking more and more at gay couples and it seems like gay guys seek out other guys that look a lot like them. It just seems . . . weird.

Does anyone else notice this? If so, why do you think this is?

I ask because I think I'm starting to come to terms with my sexuality. Problem is, I don't really like my body type. I'm very bulky/stocky and hate it.

Obviously I'm generalizing here, but just curious if anyone else sees the same thing.

2. BigD_2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In a word? No. Gays do not in my experience seek out their own look in a partner, any more than straights do.

Now it is true that there is a certain "look" of a number of gay guys between 18-35 in urban areas who go out at least 1-2 nights per week - so if you see two of them together, they will look sort of similar. That is, they are between 5'7" and 6'1", have dark hair that is spiked up, wear clothes one size too tight, have hot muscular bodies because their lives center on the gym, and take off some to all of their clothing from the waist up to show off their hotness.

I am not meaning any of that negatively...that's a "look" that is out there, more so among gays than among straights I think, and if you see only those people then they will all start to look similar yes. It's also true that there are big beefy hairy guys who are bears....and a lot of then have a kind of similar look (fat and hairy, to be blunt)

As a homo, I have many close gay friends, and many of us have had many boyfriends, and none of us have looked like our partners.

3. maxcok

Gold Member

Maybe you're confused by the fact that they are the same gender.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Actually there are a lot of Gay guys who seem to be attracted to carbon copies of themselves, and they frequently end up dressing alike and having similar haircuts. I've observed this fairly frequently actually. By no means do most, and certainly not all, Gay couples do this but it's not uncommon.

5. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I do know one May-December couple where the younger man looks exactly like the older man when he was a young man. It's like he's gone back in time to have sex with himself.

A lot of people think that hetero couples look more and more alike the longer they're together. Maybe there's something to that? The day I gave birth, two nurses said my husband and I look alike, like siblings. I am half Asian and I look like it, my husband isn't and he doesn't look like he is. Both times we just looked at each other like, "Are these people crazy?"

I also know a lesbian couple who look adorably alike. I don't think it's an accident at all. Instead of seeking separate identities, they seem to be emulating each other.

6. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I must be the exception :smile:

I don't think we look alike at all, and certainly don't dress alike :wink:, lol

7. varina1

varina1 New Member

:frown1:
    We are another exception. We look NOTHING like each other at all..... works for us :tongue:

8. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
  9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

You both look fantastic. You do look like brothers, but that's good thing.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My partner and I don't look anything alike! The lady we bought our house from thought we were brothers, but she was half blind and crazy!

11. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Wow, you do look like brothers! Especially the eyes. You're a hot couple.

12. AM_092

AM_092 Guest

I don't agree with the OP's statement, but I do think that they look more compatible if they look alike...

13. catman

Gold Member

all statistics are half right...

14. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wow OC,

You both would like extremely similar if the head and facial hair with the same. Same eyes, etc. I think it's cool :biggrin1:

15. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    It makes sense that gay men would be attracted to someone with a similar look to themselves if they were comfortable with their own appearance.

I would be attracted to myself if I weren't myself. (If that makes any sense?)

16. OMGmybf

OMGmybf Member

Albums:
    People actually mistake my boyfriend and i as brothers, twin brothers to boot. But we really don't look alike. yes, similar height and body build. But we don't actually look alike. People just see we both have black hair and similar body builds and assume. If they actually looked closer they'd see we look nothing alike. And we sure as hell aren't alike in personality. But i definitely never seek out look alikes. it just happened in this case that we can be mistaken as looking similar.

17. azladd

azladd Active Member

Albums:
    A friend and I were just talking about this very same thing. I don't think that the original poster is saying that ALL gay couples look alike, but I would say that many do with regards to what you have pointed out. Even with regards to those who are "buff" or "twinks", and even now with age.

18. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

Is this like when older Jewish women start looking like their little pug lap dogs?

19. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

On a separate note, i've always thought i looked similar to Chace Crawford, with a dash of Orlando Bloom, a pinch of Eric Bana and just the tiniest smidgen of Penn Badgley.....hence, i seek them out!

I mean, come on.....any one of the above and myself would make a "totally hot couple" ;)

20. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This reminds me of that episode of Top Chef where the two gay guys were getting married, and the both were named Tim. This look alike thing though, is an aspect of gay sexuality I've never even thought of. Maybe it's because unless you are fairy/very androgynous, you can only look so much like someone of the opposite gender. And I don't have a sister, so I can't even imagine what it would be like to date someone who looks like your sister, and again is something I haven't even thought about. And what if your boyfriend looks like your brother? AND your brother is straight? Weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted