Gay couples look alike?

Cosota

Experimental Member
Media
People think my partner and I look similar..but when we met he was a big muscle guy and I was the skinny blond twink. So it wasn't that we were looking for the same type or anything. Now I'm bigger than him...hahah Even My family thinks he looks like "us". lol *meaning he looks like he could be my brother* Actually he looks more like me than my real brother does. LOL

see..

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/63512_1622531489936_1435921992_31674567_5962984_n.jpg

I was about to say to AirC3 that he is wrong but then I saw your photo and gave up. It's a cool picture, I love it.

Topicboi

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I find that someone who looks like me would be very compatible because I fit what I would like. Tall, pretty boy/young look, thin athletic build and big ass dick. Not to mention I am a very nice and laid back intellectual type and most younger gay men like to play with and put down my kind which is distressing.. I think it's called jealousy.. :(

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
The phenomenon of dating a person who looks more like a relative is real. It's called assortative mating, and it is quite prevalent in the gay community.

I remember making the same observation on a 90 minute boat ride between Boston and Provincetown last summer. Many of the men in relationships look like they were dating their brother. I brought this topic up in a general conversation, and a gay professor identified this phenomenon as assortative mating.

So, the OP is not being deceived.

Daddy Lucas

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My man and I have been getting this "are you brothers?" line for the past 33 years. One time when being introduced to a friend's father, the dad asked us that question. His son said: "No Dad, they're partners!" he replied: "Ohhh, what law firm do you work for?" LOL

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The men that I've been in long term relationships with (including my current) have been older and don't look like me in the slightest. I'm naturally drawn to people that look different from myself, although personality wise you can see similarities.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
. And I don't have a sister, so I can't even imagine what it would be like to date someone who looks like your sister, and again is something I haven't even thought about.

That happens, a good friend of mine is marrying a woman who looks EXACTLY like his sister, it's freaky they all joke about it and the two women get mistaken for twins all the time. :eek: *shivers"

arthur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Actually I think the OP has a point here. Often (not always) gay men seek out partners that remind them of 'someone they know'. Not sure if this is a sign of comfort or pure narcissism. And to save the vile responses I personally have done it many times myself and in fact think I'm guilty of doing it with my latest.

Also we cannot discount that gay men can be found to be copying each others looks for fashion or 'clone' simply to fit in. This also could contribute to 'twin daters'....

hairyversmuscle

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
No I don't think all gay couples look a like but a lot of them do. here is my theory and yes, I look VERY similar to my boyfriend, as a matter of fact, we look more similar now then when we met over a year ago. We are frequently mistaken for brothers. He has blue eyes, I have brown and he is 6" taller than me.

Theory #1: Most people wake up, shower, fix their hair, wear clothes, that they feel make them look attractive. Therefor if I think I look attractive as a buzzed head bearded guy, I likely find that look attractive on other guys or I want to look more like the guys I find attractive. Meaning that it is easy to be attracted to a look whether its on someone else or yourself!

Theory #2: As gay couple grow more close and live together, it is far more likely that they end up wearing each others clothes, then shopping at stores together and buy clothes that again look similar.

Also, one thing a lot of people don't realize is that gays and lesbians really segregate themselves into groups within their own community. There are the Bears who are mostly hairy stocky guys, mostly bearded. There are twinks, who are younger thin guys, there are the leather dudes etc... so that becomes your social circle therefore, thats where you meet guys to date and become a couple with. There are even internet websites targetted to for specific groups. bear411.com is one to meet bears and pretty much everyone on that site could be described the same way. Recon.com is to meet guys into leather - same deal, everyone sort of looks the same!

Hope that helps. My advice as you come into your sexuality is, fall in love and be attracted to whoever you want to be attracted to whether or not they look liked you or are the same gender or different.

Edison

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My partner and I have been together nearly 30 years. We are often asked if we are brothers. We tell them "NO" as that would be incest.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Great photo, Indy! :biggrin:
Since people are posting ages regarding their relationships, I'll share mine as well.
I'm 37, 5'7 and African American. My hubby is approaching 60, 5'8 and Italian. To say that we look nothing alike (beyond a similarity of height) would be an understatement.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am rarely if ever attracted to someone who looks like me, though I prefer someone not much taller or bigger than me. I never got the whole "twin" thing, and have changed clothes more than once so that whichever ex and I weren't even dressed alike.

airc3

Sexy Member
Media
Wow, some interesting responses. As I said in my OP, I am generalizing and never meant for my question to apply to ALL gay couples. It just seems like something I've noticed and wondered if others saw the same. Some do, some don't.

In terms of "look alike", what I meant was these couples often dress alike, have similar body types, facial features, hair styles, and sometimes even the same damn glasses. Maybe these couples are the only ones I notice because they "look gay" or something. It was just an observation.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks Nudeyorker, Petite, Countryguy, and Cosota. :) With regards to age...we're 16 yrs apart. He looks MUCH younger than he is. Defintiely shows what exercise, not smoking and living healthy will do. :) Also, when we started seeing each other...the only similarity we knew of THEN was our eyes were the same. *till I saw his navy pics.* lol THEN I kinda was irked. lol

In one of the pics...I took it home and didnt say anything and just left it out so my mom would see. She said, "Where did you have this pic taken?" When you mom even thinks it...you know it's true. lol