Gay 'cure'

Would you take a gay 'cure' to make you straight?

• No

Votes: 83 65.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • I'd have to think about it

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters

I've just watched the new X Men film and it got me thinking, if there was an injection that could make a gay man into a straight man, how many gay people out there would take it? I think if asked three or four years ago my answer would probably have been yes, but these days i wouldn't even consider it; i don't think my boyfriend would be very pleased. What about anyone else?

MH07

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
kank84 said:
I've just watched the new X Men film and it got me thinking, if there was an injection that could make a gay man into a straight man, how many gay people out there would take it? I think if asked three or four years ago my answer would probably have been yes, but these days i wouldn't even consider it; i don't think my boyfriend would be very pleased. What about anyone else?

When I was younger and less secure.

Now I wouldn't.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe...

That reminds me of the question that if you were able to cure "the gay" before they were born, through whatever genetic changes, I would actually say for people to go for it, if it would keep people from having to go through all the feelings I had to go through, all the comments, the losses, the fear, and the continuing thoughts I still have today...

Reactions: l1990

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No.

Humanity only grows through diversity.

Otherwise we become a Borg hive, devoid of difference, devoid of individuality.

The notion of "curing" implies 'dealing with a sickness' anyway, which is enough to make me vomit.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
kank84 said:

Let me tell you how thoughtless this poll/question is; utterly

There.

I would, however, suggest some people take the anti-stupid injection should they invent one.:rolleyes:

alex8 said:
No.
The notion of "curing" implies 'dealing with a sickness' anyway, which is enough to make me vomit.

Yes i realise that cure isn't the best term since it implies sickness, but i couldn't think of another one that got the message accross. I did toy with de-gay, but for some reason anything that starts with de- always brings de-lousing to my mind.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
kank84 said:
Yes i realise that cure isn't the best term since it implies sickness, but i couldn't think of another one that got the message accross. I did toy with de-gay, but for some reason anything that starts with de- always brings de-lousing to my mind.

The problem with "cure" is that it is precisely the terminology used by various crypto-fascist fundamentalist groups, as well as by the sect of scientology. It also harks back to an era of psychiatry when the medical establishment in some parts of the world really did believe that homosexuality could be (or indeed, needed to be) 'cured'.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
No. It would hurt the man I love.

I would have considered it when I was young, though. I was in love with a woman, and eveyone agreed that we made a beautiful couple. If we could hqve just made the sex work, I'd be a happily married man. She'd be furious if I showed up on her doostep straight.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Stronzo said:
The real issue I have with this poll... is the one person who has answered 'yes' so far... they would want to 'cure' their gayness.

The poll can serve only to remind us how deep-rooted a person's self-loathing can become when they are subjected to social rejection, ridicule or exclusion.

Whether there is a chance for this to lead onto a discussion that might be beneficial for people who really feel that kind of inner hatred towards themselves... I really don't know at this stage.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
kank84 said:

There are a lot of different ways you could have asked this without using the term cure. If you could not think of a term or phrase, then I suggest that you should not start the poll.

Most people who are different feel so only when reminded in someway that they are different. Even with all the self-hatred in the world, its never going to garner kind responses to ask people to change something so fundamentally connected to their identity. It implies that they hate themselves.

What people who are different often want is for the ignorance and bigotry directed at those who are different to go away. Nothing more.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
alex8 said:
The real issue I have with this poll... is the one person who has answered 'yes' so far... they would want to 'cure' their gayness.

The poll can serve only to remind us how deep-rooted a person's self-loathing can become when they are subjected to social rejection, ridicule or exclusion.

Whether there is a chance for this to lead onto a discussion that might be beneficial for people who really feel that kind of inner hatred towards themselves... I really don't know at this stage.

Hold on, I put down "maybe", most likely IF I went into another phase of depression I MIGHT, but where I am now in my life it would be no, I would like to make that clear. I should have made the more clear in my first post...

EDIT- I just noticed that there is a poll on this page and that's most likely what you referring too, also I will not be voting on this poll just so everyone knows.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
alex8 said:

I second that. You gotta love yourself if you expect anyone else to love you.

Wow. What a sad and poignant reminder.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:

There.

I would, however, suggest some people take the anti-stupid injection should they invent one.:rolleyes:
Yes this is just sick! This is insulting.

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
Lex said:
There are a lot of different ways you could have asked this without using the term cure. If you could not think of a term or phrase, then I suggest that you should not start the poll.

Most people who are different feel so only when reminded in someway that they are different. Even with all the self-hatred in the world, its never going to garner kind responses to ask people to change something so fundamentally connected to their identity. It implies that they hate themselves.

What people who are different often want is for the ignorance and bigotry directed at those who are different to go away. Nothing more.

Well said!

I find the use of the word 'cure' in this context offensive, and I find it both surprising and sad that a predominantly gay person could want to ask this question at all.
For some, and especially in the US, there are gay people that live with the constant pressure from family and peers, mostly in a religious context, to 'cure' their gayness through prayer and 'de-conditioning' and what have you.
For those that cannot withstand that pressure the added self-loathing and the loss of happiness is very real.

I am certainly not going to treat this subject like some kind of 'party game'!

And no, I have never wanted to change my preference for men - not when I was younger and not now.
And I will not participate in this poll.

I think you should rather focus on cultivating some real dignity and pride in who you are, kank84!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What is there to "CURE"???

These screwed up people always think that there is something WRONG with Gay and lesbian people, or its a curable disease...

Such a joke.
They need to spend more time on figuring out a cure for cancer or AIDS.
Something WORTHWHILE, rather than bother with trying to fix something that isn't broke!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
this thread tipped me over....

I had a similar discussion with a close family member.
She had made the comment to me "Well they think they are closer to finding the Gene that causes men to be gay"
Knowing that she said such a thing implies that they are searching for a "Cure" as the conservatives like to call it. Moreso, that she is watching for a cure for me....

It's a dirty rotten disgrace that people are putting up with this blatent display of discrimination.
People get hung up on the word "GAY". They stop dead in their tracks.

Well, I can tell you that I am Gay, and I can outperform, any comon Straight man on so many levels, that it makes the common straight boy a wuss.
(Gee...isnt a wuss also called....gay?)

It goes back to the old question, What Makes a Man, a Man.