Gay Divorce

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Gillette, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess it only follows that where marriage is possible divorce is also possible. Like any other relationship between two people having it end is a possibility.

I think in my head I had a romantic notion that a gay marriage would be stronger because there has been so much opposition to it. The right to marry being a hard won victory it would be cherished all the more. Naive maybe.

Thoughts?

For those still struggling for the right to marry, how do you feel about this?

2. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

IIRC, the first gay divorce in Ontario actually required more changes to existing legislation than gay marriage did.

3. Northland

Gold Member

All relationships have the risk of ending. People are people no matter what their sexuality may be and with any couple the possibility always exists that one or the other may feel stifled or corseted by the legal ties.

In the last year I have seen two seemingly good relationship couples meet their ends. One was female, together 14 years, the other two men together for 8 years- both couples were legally married. In one set of circumstances, they just grew apart- job, friends, the basics of what first brought them together had changed. With the other couple it was a matter of the one no longer being able to handle the 'free' lifestyle that the partner had (although there were other things as well).

Same sex marriages are still a relatively new thing; however, same sex relationships have existed for quite a number of years- some quite successful and lasting until the death of one of the two; others, fizzling within a year even though at the start everything seemed perfect.

On a happier note; I also know two men who have been together for more than 50 years and are still deeply in love as well as several other couples- some male some female- which have remained united for a quarter of a century or more. The statistics seem to fall in line with those of my acquaintances who are heterosexual- a portion have stayed together and others have been married and divorced several times over.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Interesting questions, G.

I don't really think that having to "fight harder" to achieve legal status would make much difference. People will make good or bad decisions, for good or bad reasons, regardless of their orientation. Some will make the decision to marry either lightly or seriously, regardless of orientation.

The interesting part, though, is how the law treats such things. Joint property and assets, and custody (if a child is involved) are considered seemingly randomly by the courts... and the courts, with frightening frequency, favor a huge disparity between responsibilities and rights.

For instance, it is not uncommon for same-gender couples to opt for artificial insemination in order to have a child. In most of the US states, their relationship is not legally recognized, the non-biological parent is prohibited from legally adopting the child; but if the couple splits, the non-biological is required to pay child support... with no legal means of ensuring visitation. All the responsibilities, no rights.

If my partner and I were ever able to marry legally, I'm not sure that we would. I would like to, simply for the legal protections, but I'm not sure my partner would want to get married again.

Even at that, even with full legal documentation of joint property & assets, wills, and such, the courts tend to disregard the legal documents of same-gender partners.

Draft saved Draft deleted