Gay Films

madboy75

Experimental Member
Media
Does anyone know of any good gay films.... Romantic, a comedy... even lustful.... just something worth watching. Most gay films are so cheesy? List a your top 5 worth watching.

1. I think I do
2. Noah's Arc: Jumping the broom
3.Trick
4. Friends and Lovers
5. Ok.. I am out

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have said this before on here. I just LOVE the film Big Eden. My young gay friends think it is not realistic but they miss the point. It is a love story between men in a world were the gay issues are not such a big deal. The idea being that when you remove the excuses to becoming close, love still doesn't always come easy. The characters are so wonderful. I think I watch this like once a year at least. Its romantic, has comic and heartfelt moments. Hope you like it too.

D_Jerry_Atric

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble. Every queer man/woman should see those movies at least once.

I very much enjoyed Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin as I'd read the book but if you have a history of rape/molestation and PTSD about such events, proceed with extreme caution!

I really enjoyed Gods and Monsters and I've been told that The Living End and Red Dirt are also good.

I thought that Milk was an excellent movie but I can see why some would not like it.

FYI I do not consider Brokeback Mountain to be a "gay" movie at all, as this was a movie about bisexual shepherds instead.

I thought that Get Real was an OK movie even if I did see it while in highschool but it is centered around that age group. I enjoyed Edge of Seventeen but the ending annoyed me since it seemed so rushed to me.

Another Gay movie was very funny but the sequel Gays Gone Wild was pretty bad and not as funny.

I've noticed that movies that sometimes get billed/classified as "gay" movies are anything but that. I saw one called Innocent that was more about a family of Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong and the one son just happened to be gay and there were very tiresome and cliched things that happened to him that have been shown before tons of times and have been done better like an older white male chickenhawk lover, sex/cruising in public, and other things and the gay male character was just a small part of the movie.

I saw a gay movie tonight called "R U Invited 5 guys and a sex party" and some parts were sad, funny, and well written but it was mostly full of twinks, bitchy vapid and self centered swishy queens, a drag queen/Transsexual, an older sugar daddy lover, and other boring and tiresome gay male stereotypes/character types that you constantly see in movies. I would not say that the director/writer of this movie is against open relationships but he did show/portray what frequently happens with them and how they can break people apart more than bring them together.

I also loved Pedro Almodóvar's queer movie La Mala Educacion or Bad Education.

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble. Every queer man/woman should see those movies at least once.

I very much enjoyed Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin as I'd read the book but if you have a history of rape/molestation and PTSD about such events, proceed with extreme caution!

I really enjoyed Gods and Monsters and I've been told that The Living End and Red Dirt are also good.

OMG HOW did I forget Female Trouble?! One of my faves and Greg Arakki is great! Damn he even put Mary Woronov in the Living End! LOVE him. Also did anyone mention Proof? The remake of the famous 20's child murder case based on the Bradford Dillman film from was it the early 60's? Great pic.
Tod Haynes early films are winners fer sure!

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Loggerheads is sorta gay themed and is it Gods and Monsters with Brendan Frasier.