Gay Films

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Have to agree with NCbear...

Big Eden is an amazing little film....the scenery alone is worth seeing (the landscape kind not the...)

Really terrific, solid acting, and really like little movies where you go "oh! I know her from such and such, an he has been in...."

The lady who played Drew Careys boss has a hoot of a role....

(I also like the 'notes'on the DVD...(turns out it snows VERY early up there...)

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Norman, Is That You? Redd Foxx & Pearl Bailey - 1976 (Not on DVD but should be!)

Some Of My Best Friends Fannie Flagg, Gary Sandy and Rue McClanahan - 1971 (Also not on DVD but should be!)

The Gay Deceivers - 1969

Happy Birthday, Gemini - Rita Moren and the late Madeleine Kahn - 1980 (Another not on DVD but should be!)

To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything - Julie Newmar - 1995

More titles to come when I can find my "want" list

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Priscilla Queen of the Desert - I can watch it over and over again and it's always funny.

I really liked Brokeback Mountain from 3 years ago, too.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Beautiful thing is great. I also really enjoyed Get Real. The main character's best friend in the movie (I forget the name) is just amazing, and really steals the scenes she's in.

Maurice was magnificent.

And lastly, I'll recommend Billy Elliot which isn't exactly a gay film (although there is a gay character), but it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Real tear jerker.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I get teased about watching Billy Elliot, the last scene still brings tears to my eyes...

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Sum of Us starring a very young Russell Crowe. I second (or third) Maurice and Another Country. Beautiful Thing is very sweet. I don't consider Mysterious Skin to be a gay movie. It's a molestation, PTSD, rape movie that I use in a graduate level class on trauma.
Dave

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Here are more (hopefully no duplications already mentioned)

La Cage aux Folles - 1978
La Cage aux Folles II - 1980
La Cage aux Folles III - 1985
Liberace:Behind The Music - 1988
Making Love - 1982
Naked Boys Singing - 2007
No Ordinary Love - 1994
Red Dirt - 2000
The Deep End - 2001
Fortune And Men's Eyes - 1971
Torch Song Trilogy - 1988
The Ritz - 1976 (finally on DVD!)
The Gay Deceivers - 1969
Partner's - 1982

More to come! (Note: some titles have minimal gay subject matter or character(s)

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Go Fish
All Over Me
The Incredible True Story of Two Girls in Love

Good Boys
A Year Without Love
The Houseboy
Boy Culture
Before I Forget
Savage Nights
Love Valour and Compassion

madboy75

Experimental Member
Media
Go Fish
All Over Me
The Incredible True Story of Two Girls in Love

Good Boys
A Year Without Love
The Houseboy
Boy Culture
Before I Forget
Savage Nights
Love Valour and Compassion

Wow... i am really going to have to check some of these out... I have seen Love Valour and Compassion and Boy Culture

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow... i am really going to have to check some of these out... I have seen Love Valour and Compassion and Boy Culture

Savage Nights is only available on VHS but you can pick up a cheap copy at amazon. *film based on a book of the same name by Cyril Collard.*

i so forgot Edge of Seventeen.

D_Mylor Mentallydaft

Account Disabled
Media
Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble. Every queer man/woman should see those movies at least once.

I very much enjoyed Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin as I'd read the book but if you have a history of rape/molestation and PTSD about such events, proceed with extreme caution!

I really enjoyed Gods and Monsters and I've been told that The Living End and Red Dirt are also good.

I thought that Milk was an excellent movie but I can see why some would not like it.

FYI I do not consider Brokeback Mountain to be a "gay" movie at all, as this was a movie about bisexual shepherds instead.

I thought that Get Real was an OK movie even if I did see it while in highschool but it is centered around that age group. I enjoyed Edge of Seventeen but the ending annoyed me since it seemed so rushed to me.

Another Gay movie was very funny but the sequel Gays Gone Wild was pretty bad and not as funny.

I've noticed that movies that sometimes get billed/classified as "gay" movies are anything but that. I saw one called Innocent that was more about a family of Chinese immigrants from Hong Kong and the one son just happened to be gay and there were very tiresome and cliched things that happened to him that have been shown before tons of times and have been done better like an older white male chickenhawk lover, sex/cruising in public, and other things and the gay male character was just a small part of the movie.

I saw a gay movie tonight called "R U Invited 5 guys and a sex party" and some parts were sad, funny, and well written but it was mostly full of twinks, bitchy vapid and self centered swishy queens, a drag queen/Transsexual, an older sugar daddy lover, and other boring and tiresome gay male stereotypes/character types that you constantly see in movies. I would not say that the director/writer of this movie is against open relationships but he did show/portray what frequently happens with them and how they can break people apart more than bring them together.

I also loved Pedro Almodóvar's queer movie La Mala Educacion or Bad Education.

dude, the more you post the more you actually frighten me.... seriously...

the sum of us, great movie russel crowe's response to his film romper stomper

my beautiful laundrette- can't believe any one brought that up, great film.

mysteryous skin- great film, very very harsh

brokeback mountain - yes you could call it a movie about bisexual cowboys, or maybe you could call it a movie that follows a very lonely closed off man through his miserable day to day who finds love with only one person in the world..... but you're right man your way is much simpler and easier to put on a label

short bus, not a movie JUST about being gay but about open sexuality