Gay guys know more????

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Hilaire - < snip > You are the type of person that I'm hoping more can be like. I'm sure there is a lot more we could discuss, but it seems that its not the best forum for some.
Why don't quit beating around the bush and just say what you mean? I'm not stupid. If you don't want me to reply, don't snipe at me while I'm sitting on the sidelines. "Snarky" goes both ways, you know. Fine, I'll respond to your previous post. Honestly and directly, if that's okay.

I agree that the post's direction did veer a bit. . . . However, getting snarky and making accusations just seem unnecessary. Max, if the topic bores you, you don't have to reply.
Well I probably wouldn't if you weren't taking shots at me. I think "making accusations" is a rather exaggerated characterization of my post, don't you? What I objected to was the roundabout, backdoor, and I would say disingenuous way you presented the topic - which forced you to redefine the thread when you didn't get what you were hoping for. The responses you received illustrate just how oblique (and I would say intentionally so) your presentation was from the beginning.

The original post came from the my seeing so many guys that didn't identify with being gay being told by gay guys that they were more gay than they wanted to admit, and that's just not always the case. I know quite a few people that wouldn't care about calling themselves gay if that were the best representation of who they were. This is where the talk of orientation came into play.
Why didn't you just put that out there to start with, instead of sneaking around the real topic you had in mind? Reading back over your posts, it's now clear to me what your intention with this thread was from the beginning. It was not to ask a sincere question, but rather to set yourself up to make a statement - namely that gay men have an agenda, and that they make erroneous assumptions about other men underestimating their homosexual quotient. Here, your opening post:
This is not meant to be offensive, but is it just me or do gay guys assume they know more than straight guys about sexuality? From many of the replies in these forums is makes it seem that way. Again, I'm just making a statement based on what I've seen.
I wondered why you were tiptoeing around what seemed like a fairly innocuous question, and now I understand. You weren't asking about gay men's understanding of "sexuality", you were making a statement about gay men's 'erroneous' perceptions of orientation, i.e. being able to detect homoerotic interest and energy emanating from self-identified "straight" men, in short, gaydar. The fact is, most gay men, even if they have not gone through the stages themselves, have seen enough homo denial to recognize when a fella is pretending to be straighter than he really is - even when the fella isn't ready to admit it to himself. Quite often it's obvious.

Its seems like sexuality lies much more on a continuum than some like to acknowledge.
This is very true, and emphasis added. Though again, it would be helpful if you could use the term "sexual orientation" when that's what you're actually talking about, rather than the very broad and nebulous "sexuality". Anyone who has an educated and honest view on the subject recognizes this continuum, myself included. The problem lies with how people self-identify, in particular self-identified "straight" men, who fail to acknowledge - even to themselves - where they truly fall on that continuum. The reasons behind their self-justifications and rationalizations have been discussed ad nauseum on this board, and since Hilaire has already addressed them to an extent, I'm really not interested in pursuing that any further. Rarely if ever do the discussions shake any of these guys out of their defensive posture of denial. On the contrary, it just seems to make them more obstinate.

It seems like homosexual people are responding to the assimilation pressure of a heterocetric society by pushing back in the same way. Both sides seem to be using "studies" and "scientific evidence" (without showing it) to bully people into a side that's more favorable for their group. I think this is unhealthy and unfair for those who don't fall on the polar ends or dead center on the continuum.
You are proposing a false equivalency, and you are also fallaciously generalizing and stereotyping the attitudes of most homosexual-leaning people. Perhaps your perception derives from the unwillingness many men have to acknowledge that their orientation lies closer to the gay end of the spectrum than they want to admit. Perhaps that applies to you, and that is the real reason behind your wanting to "make a statement".

Laying out the facts and the scientific consensus is "bullying"? Give me a break. :rolleyes: And why did you put "studies" and "scientific evidence" in quotes? To trivialize and dismiss the science? The definition of sexual orientation is well established, and despite your statement to the contrary, the huge body of scientific research on the subject has been well presented here in many, many discussions. It consistently supports the same conclusions. So really, where is the validity in a 'discussion' that attempts to dismiss such overwhelming scientific and logical consensus, unless one is blind to reality or being defensive and willfully irrational?

To recap, anyone with an educated honest view of the subject recognizes that individual sexual orientation falls somewhere along a continuum, and a relatively small percentage of people fall at either extreme. I have stated this myself many times on the board, to little effect I'm afraid. Many people, many self-identified "straight" men in particular, seem locked into their own definition, rationalization and denial, whether or not it comports with reality, and they can become quite defensive and combative when the subject is discussed. Hence, my acute boredom with the topic. It just seems pointless to waste any more time and energy on people who are unwilling to be rational and open their minds to reality - as I have most likely just done again.

Last edited:

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Here I am a gay dude in a long term relationship with an adopted kid. I don't know if we know more or not. I think that open discussion even if we don't agree with something is more common among gay men.

Over the past few years we have on both a singular and group bases been asked by hetero parents to talk to their kids about HIV and other STD's. One woman, a single Mom we know, raised in the South absolutely is terrified about talking to her son about sex. He's at an age where he is beginning to ask questions. She confessed to having nightmares about discussing an erection with her son using the words "woo woo" to describe his penis. We don't hide our orientation, but, we also understand parenting and I guess that this has had some strange impact. There is no individual under our roof who has not experienced heterosexual intercourse, and, it was just that it was after multiple experience something that failed to sustain anything beyond ejaculation.

The only thing I think is that gay men tend to study sexuality more than our heterosexual counterparts. We try new things, we try and study sex to make certain that we are very good at it. I am certain that there are straight guys out there that do the same, but, it just appears that we gay guys do it as a matter of competing against other gay guys for the same piece of tail when we are single. The study becomes a habit and we carry that on to other relationships of a sexual nature. I also had the advantage of coming from a medical family so that counted for something as well, but, it was one of many things. I don't really think that there is a right or wrong answer on this one.

haulthat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lie and misrepresent themselves, undeniable possibility. Lie and misrepresent the man who their with at the time... a bit less common.

Max I kinda had the same experience, minus the desire to shop after googling it because they don't come in my size and FUCK heels... just the thought sounds like an uncomfortable unnecessary waste for who? Also sort of got lucky and avoided posting something retarded on here because I don't know fashion shit. Ive never heard of that brand... I thought it was louisvuitton cause I have heard of that before... but no. On the upside I did find a wtf insane clip that is psycho slash shoes.
YouTube - Psycho-logic by Christian Louboutin

My speech lesson of the day.
YouTube - How To Pronounce Louboutin

We THINK we know more about sexuality! We know plenty about fucking and sucking with other men. That stuff some straight women talk about with us is usually on the relationship end of things...endless blahblahblah about men. They lie and misrepresent themselves sexually with us as much as they do with eachother and hetero men!:wink:

Don't be surprised if I have to bust a stereotype, but I had to google Louboutins.

Now that I'm up to speed, I'm ready to go shopping. What do you think?

These? These? Maybe these?

Sad, but true. He's having his membership revoked. :wink:

jaimer

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Ok Max, I don't mind if you reply, and it wasn't meant as a jab or to be snarky. If I were just talking about you, I would have said you as I did when I said that you didn't have to reply if it were boring to you. Some people need to be able to hear tone and read nonverbals in order to have this conversation and others prefer that this type of conversation be in more of a controlled group.

Though, you were coming off as a little snarky and accusatory:

Not really. Okay, I get it now. This thread and your long rambling posts are a roundabout attempt to justify your personal definition of sexual orientation. Like that's never been discussed here. Color me bored. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbythebay

You are conflating behavior with identity. Being gay is not acquired, finding that you enjoy having sex with men regardless of how you identify can be.

See the APA for some clarification.

This. ^ I think I'd rather talk about boots.

Both accusatory and a bit snarky.

This is not meant to be offensive, but is it just me or do gay guys assume they know more than straight guys about sexuality? From many of the replies in these forums is makes it seem that way. Again, I'm just making a statement based on what I've seen.

^ This was the op. I don't think its beating around the bush. I asked the question "...is it just me or....?" If people answered that as opposed to taking it as a question of "Why do gay men know more?" or "Do you think gay men know more?" (Both of which I did not ask) then this thread would have actually stayed on topic. I don't mind that it did though, because that is just what happens in conversation. We go off on tangents.

You seem to be taking offense to things, and I'm just not sure you've read them through before replying.

For my part, I will make a few changes in response to a couple things you've said...

...it would be helpful if you could use the term "sexual orientation" when that's what you're actually talking about, rather than the very broad and nebulous "sexuality".

I am not excluding other aspects of sexuality, but with the direction that this thread has gone "sexual orientation" may very well be the better term.

You are proposing a false equivalency, and you are also fallaciously generalizing and stereotyping the attitudes of most homosexual-leaning people

I should have said "some." Its what I meant, but I didn't write it. However, you should re-read the original posting.

My final statement about "studies" and "scientific evidence" is for people on both ends of the spectrum. Studies can be heavily biased, and when there is evidence it should be shown not just said that it exists. If you remember
the consensus a few years ago was that homosexuality was a mental illness. This was INDEED used to "bully."

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't believe that gay men know more about sexuality than straight men at all.

What we all know about sexuality is confined like everything else to what science can tell us, anything else is based on personal experience.

There are only two things which can make it appear that gay men know more, these are:- a) most gay men (in my experience) love to talk. I don't necessarily mean they pick up info from the convo's they are having, just literally, they are more likely to be bothered to make a comment on a subject, especially if its one they have a real interest in.
When it comes down to it, gay and straight alike probably don't think about sexuality beyond the point of sexual orientation, and the reason for that is that sexuality is very unique to an individual where the finer points of the subject have fewer and fewer subject identifiers. You'll need to excuse me if i'm getting you lost, i'm not good with expressing my thoughts in complexity to clarify them with ease, but i mean, beyond the obvious way we differ in our orientation, there is a lot less to talk about when we continue to analyze the differences which seperate our sexualities. How often does anyone even engage in a discussion about sexuality really, its always sex that gets talked about first, most people actually talk about sexuality as an indirect result of discussing just sex.

the second reason, (b) is that unlike straight men, gay men (and bi men) are forced to think about sexuality. We HAVE to try to understand it because we need to know, straight guys don't need to think about anything when they are not suddenly thrown off track so to speak. This doesn't mean we necessarily know more than any straight guy can do, but its fair to say that we've spent more time on the study.

So no, all in all, i don't think gay guys literally know more, its just how it seems. (imo)

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jaimer, why don't you just put up some photos of your dick, and we'll settle this argument in the right way. The biggest dick wins! (I do wish more of the str8 guys would show photos of themselves and what they're packing. Why the shyness?)

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Firstly, sorry max, I've only just seen your response.

Secondly, apologies in advance, as none of this relates to the OP. (As the OP changed the topic after his initial post, I don't feel too bad.)

hmmm . . . I've had a little experience at that, I think I'll survive. I'll get to work on the PM's, but just because I'm straight doesn't mean I have to be a pig, does it? :wink:
How's the str8 punishment going? Being a pig is certainly not required, but dressing up can be fun. Note that I've chosen the deluxe version for you.

How much is your mother worth? Aren't those the same as these I hauled out before? If so, I found them on sale here for a mere $369USD, no tax, free shipping. Maybe we should check with the fake lady to make sure they're genuine first. *holding breath for possible onslaught of metrosexual ridicule*

No ridicule max. They are indeed the same boots. I believe the pic you linked to is the editor of French Vogue, Carine Roitfeld, sporting those fabulous boots. $369USD? You may have uncovered the bargain of the decade but they must be fakes. In the UK they would cost the equivalent of $3000 USD and any reduction on authentic Louboutins are extremely rare. Please, please don't make me consult the fake lady!

<snip>
I think I'd rather talk about boots.
Good call. :biggrin1: