Gay guys; tips to get over straight friend

Zordian

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have a friend who is 'straight' (He said he was 80% straight, and then later said 70 straight and now saying 90% straight, I don't think he knows what he is, anyway)

I have a crush on him, I don't even know why, we would never work as a couple, I just think he is really cute and it bothers me that I like him.

Any tips to end this crush?

_chrizzian_

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is probably no bulletproof way to undo a crush. But maybe disrupt your own fantasies with him. Think about unpleasent bodoy odor, farts, belching. Make him unattractive in your mind.

Not sure how well this works, but i guess this could potentially work better than rational reasoning because of his sexuality and unrequited feelings.

Reactions: Dengxiao

Player_01

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've had crushes on straight friends, it used to bother me too but now I just view it as biological and nothing to be upset by and interestingly that also lessens the intensity of crush for me.

Like part of the constant thoughts was the shame I felt about liking him. Growing up repressed, shame and sex always go together anyway :laughing:

But really, he's good looking and he's nice to me so why wouldn't my body react to that? It's just chemical. So then not being ashamed of my feelings allowed me to not be controlled by them. Now I'm just like, "oh he looks good in that pic" or "oh he's getting older", LOL.

Just give it time and don't be so hard on yourself.

11PeaceandLove11

Superior Member
Media
I think we can all relate to having a crush on a straight mate, or a sexually confused or sexually curious/uncertain friend.

Sexuality is no straight line. Sometimes we overcomplicate it.

Hang out with him as much as you can. Don't try so hard to get over your feelings. Just find something you both like doing and do it. The more you hang out with someone you will either get tired of them or grow closer-you could even stumble across the perfect balance between both.
He might even discover you like him without you having to tell him (assuming you haven't), and who knows he might try to make a move on you. I think guys tend to feel comfortable letting their barriers down and exploring more when they feel safe and can connect on a true, selfless, genuine level.\

If you genuinely like him, you just like him as a person. Cherish that.

Bottom line, just be yourself. Don't pressure anyone to do anything, and never give ultimatums. Everything happens when it's supposed to.

I have a friend who is 'straight' (He said he was 80% straight, and then later said 70 straight and now saying 90% straight, I don't think he knows what he is, anyway)

I have a crush on him, I don't even know why, we would never work as a couple, I just think he is really cute and it bothers me that I like him.

Any tips to end this crush?

Last edited:
Reactions: BiShyGuy

11PeaceandLove11

Superior Member
Media
Never thought of taking the shame away when I like someone intensely. That sounds like a good trick lol. I will have to try that if I ever get overwhelmed by feelings for someone again.
I've had crushes on straight friends, it used to bother me too but now I just view it as biological and nothing to be upset by and interestingly that also lessens the intensity of crush for me.

Like part of the constant thoughts was the shame I felt about liking him. Growing up repressed, shame and sex always go together anyway :laughing:

But really, he's good looking and he's nice to me so why wouldn't my body react to that? It's just chemical. So then not being ashamed of my feelings allowed me to not be controlled by them. Now I'm just like, "oh he looks good in that pic" or "oh he's getting older", LOL.

Just give it time and don't be so hard on yourself.

johnjohnston

Superior Member
Media
First, don’t lean on percentages or even identities. Fluidity is very common. And everyone’s sexuality is their thing. As is where someone is in the gender, sexual, affection, affirmation, romantic attachment, emotional investment, commitment spectrum. And of course, people frequently lie.

I’ve had a couple of male friends I’ve fallen for to a decent extent. One was entirely “straight presenting”. The other was inherently pan-sexual but either had female leanings or simply wasn’t ready to indulge a same-sex relationship. Ultimately, I had to cut them both off. Sexual feelings are fine. But once you really start to develop romantic attachment and emotional longing and they can’t reciprocate that, you have to move on with your life. The friendship is done. If it’s just an acquaintance, y’all can be cool. But it’s very difficult to maintain a real talk-to-you-all-the-time/hang-out-all-the-time friendship with someone you’ve developed intense feelings for and want to genuinely be with.