Gay guys with straight guy friends?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by MarquisMike, May 29, 2010.

1. MarquisMike

MarquisMike New Member

Albums:
    This question is for the gay guys on here: how many of you have a circle of friends that consists mostly of straight men? I've only met a couple gay guys like this; most seem to have only females or other gay dudes for friends.

As for myself, I have exactly zero close straight male friends...the only time I really hang around straight guys is when they're dating my female friends. I'm not sure why this is (I don't have a track record of hitting on straight dudes, I'm pretty masculine, and I'm a relatively outgoing person), but it's been the case ever since I was in preschool, haha. Not particularly happy with the situation...gay clubs and talking about the new sex and the city movie get old fast. Any advice :confused:

2. luv2watchdick

luv2watchdick Member

Albums:
    I have two straight male friends I've known since Highschool, almost 20yrs of friendship. They didn't care when I came out years ago, but they're not trying to run out to the nearest gay bar with me..But then again I never asked lol! Just be yourself, you'll meet a lot of people. Gay and Straight.

3. gt1984

gt1984 New Member

Most of my friends are straight, I would say 80-90%. I really only have 5-6 good gay friends, any more then that is too much drama. Does make finding a BF hard tho...

4. D_Navengil Nutroll

D_Navengil Nutroll New Member

i have a number of straight guy friends. and they know where i stand. i would never hit on them and they know it. it is more like guys i can hang with and watch football with and talk trash with that gay friends would not be into. two of them really helped me through some troubled times.

i love you guys. love us back, and you get rewarded by having a friend forever. we are not all trying to get in your pants.

5. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most of my friends are straight, and although it does make meeting a man very difficult, I wouldnt change it for anything.

6. Contour

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    All my mates are straight! As far as I know atleast.

7. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Most of my male friends are straight, though I do have plenty of gay male friends also, I don't live a ghettoized existence so I suppose that's why.

8. lopo2000

Gold Member

I can say from 100% of my male friends, only 5% of them are gays. Being friends with them can be a difficulty, since the straight people in my culture are taught not to 'entertain' homosexuality. So, when they could sniff my queerness, that can be an issue. But, now I'm learning how not to be 'bent' that much...

9. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have just a few friends. I guess they are a mix. What I find at work is that a few straight guys really like me and always tell me this too. Yet they go out for drinks, workout, whatever with out me. I know, the bottom line is, they think someone else will wonder if they are gay if they are with me. I have a partner and I don't want them. It just kond of bothers me they can't make the jump socially. I try not think about it and just enjoy the moments we do have.

10. bulgespotter1

bulgespotter1 New Member

i am gay... And most of my friends are straight males.

11. B_lrgeggs

B_lrgeggs New Member

Well, besides the few gay friends I have discovered through the internet ect..I rarely discuss sex with my friends...so its hard for me to say.

12. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most of my best friends are straight men.

13. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I found this an interesting question, even tho i find much more interesting why it is the way it is.
    I mean for those who don't have straight friends, do you think it is because of you, the places you go your activities etc. I mean you obviously have a drive to meet other gay men, and i can see that leading to such a circle of friends, or do you think it is because of the straight guys who are uncomfortable and maybe even afraid to spend time with gays, i mean many straight guys seem to think gays hit on everything that got a penis.
    And they might also be afraid to be considered gay by others who see them with a gay friend, and some might even be afraid about some rub off, those who maybe never questioned their own sexuality and are not as sure about it.

That might even go further than just that, knowing about the sexual preferences of your friends, shows that you are open about your sexuality and they about theirs, and i can see that many poeple are not that comfortable with that. So they might not be friends with you because of that and not because your gay.
    Many reasons that are plausible to me, i really find that interesting.

And what kind of prejudices do exist from the gay point of view, are there similar things you might be concerned about when it comes to making friends among straight guys.

14. mtsuenigma

mtsuenigma Member

I'm in a fraternity (NO guys, don't even go there...lol), and it's comprised of mostly straight guys, with a few gay guys thrown in the mix. We go to football games, basketball games, drink lots, and do all kinds of other "straight guy" stuff. It's cool, and their girlfriends all love me :)

15. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Most of my friends are straight or bi. It's mainly because I've become friends with them through the activities I do or through common interests. I'm sexually attracted to men, but it's not a common interest I tend to build friendships around I guess. I also have attraction to women, which makes it easier to have some common ground with my straight male friends if we end up talking about sex. I've had more gay male friends in the past, but to be honest, they've often been a bit too dramatic, which isn't my thing, and don't tend to be into doing "guy" stuff.

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I have several close straight male friends. We have been friends sometimes, since high school. I also have lesbian friends, straight female friends, and gay male friends. I don't get the big deal?

17. Crex

Crex Active Member

Albums:
    With the exception of my best friend/roommate/sex buddy, ALL of my close male friends are straight. And I have a lot of them. As of now, I'm just starting to come out and the three or four close straight friends I've came out to over the past year have been awesome, and they have never once implied that they are afraid of me hitting on them, or whatever.

I agree that I make friends based on common interests and mindsets, not on my sexuality. I actually do not have any openly gay friends aside from the one listed above, because most of the gay guys I've met in my area reflect a negative homosexual stereotype that really upsets me.

The way they talk, act, and think is just not something I can or desire to associate myself with, because the really flamboyant homosexuals are the ones that I feel are setting the gays back in terms of societal acceptance and equality issues. They literally act is if they feel like they have to live and breathe the stereotype, and I hate that because I do not fit that category whatsoever and I don't want to be grouped with those people just because of my sexuality.

18. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    90% of my male friends are straight. I tend to be around straight guys a lot more than gay ones. It does make it difficult to find a good bf.

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

I have straight male friends.

20. Shandforthe Shroomstick

I use to have a close straight friend, but this was back when I was in school, and being the only guy close to me, it turned into crushing on him. BADNESS lol. Now a days, I don't have any close male friends. I have a hard time connecting to guys. Guess it's a self conscience thing, idk. Couple guys I talk to at work, but that's about it. I find it easier to befriend females lol. Not so quick to judge you, i suppose.

Although, I do believe that every straight guy should have a gay friend. I know my friend from school liked it, because he could talk to me about things he couldnt talk to his other friends about. Relationships, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted