Gay judicial nominee

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arkfarmbear, Jan 28, 2011.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

The Advocate reports that President Obama has nominated J. Paul Oetken to serve as a Federal judge in Manhatten.

2. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

J. Paul Oetken was the 2nd nomination of a Gay to the Federal Bench this month by President Obama. Oetken has been nominated for Federal Judge in Manhattan.

President Obama's 1st nomination this month was Edward C. Dumont. Dumont has been nominated to be the United States Circuit Judge for the D.C. Federal Circuit.

The Federal Bench has never had an openly Gay nominated, or to serve, as far as anyone knows.

3. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Expect the wingnuts to declare that this is Unconstitutional, that Obama should now be Impeached, and that this guy isn't fit to be a judge because his gayness makes him incompetent, insane or disabled.

4. maxcok

Gold Member

Not the first nominated, and not the first to serve:
    "If approved, Oetken would become the second openly gay judge in that federal district –along with Deborah Batts. He would be the third openly gay federal judge in the country — along with Emily Hewitt of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. Batts and Hewitt were both appointed by President Clinton.

Oetken is not President Obama’s first openly gay nominee to the federal bench. In April of last year, he nominated Edward DuMont to a position on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal District. If approved, DuMont would be the first openly gay appointee to a federal appeals court. But DuMont’s nomination — along with that of many others — has been tied up by Republican opposition in the U.S. Senate."

Why Judge Vaughn Walker, who recently struck down Prop 8 in California, isn't also on that list is strange. Though as far as I know he hasn't led any parades, it's common knowlege that he's gay, both in and out of the LGBT community. He's openly aknowledged it, if he hasn't sent out any formal coming out announcements.

#4 maxcok, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. cruztbone

Gold Member

Obama is keeping his promise to make sure the judiciary reflects the general population of the UNITED STATES. another promise kept.

6. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    We need a t-girl on the bench for cruztbone.

7. faceking

Albums:

blah blah... Pres Bush nominated Vuaghn Walker was is/was gay and presided over the Ca Prop 8 appeal. Bush Jr nominated 6 gay men in his administration out of the gate back in the day... how many does the current anti-gay marriage President have?

8. faceking

Albums:
    "But DuMont’s nomination — along with that of many others — has been tied up by Republican opposition in the U.S. Senate."
    "

Pehaps it's how he's ruled and opined.... the 'gay race' card thrown-out-at-will.

9. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dear Facekueen:

I guess if I were straight, 40, white and most likely single I'd be worried too. But I'm not. :smile:

10. maxcok

Gold Member

:confused: Who exactly has thrown out the 'gay race' card?

I certainly haven't, nor did the article I sourced and linked that you pulled that quote from.

Talk about 'opining'.

The fact is, the Republicans have refused to vote or even allow hearings on scores of Obama's judicial appointments, much less comment on their rulings and opinions. It's typical Republican obstructionism and stallling tactics to prevent the current Democratic administration from influencing the makeup of the courts.
    I have no reason to speculate DuMont's appointment has been held up by his sexual orientation at this point, since he hasn't even had a hearing.

Try to keep up. :rolleyes:
    Even conservative legal luminaries have pushed to speed up the process. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts recently criticized the slow pace of judicial confirmations.

"[T]he unprecedented obstruction of judicial nominations seen in the last Congress, and the dramatic departure from the Senate's longstanding tradition of regularly considering consensus, noncontroversial nominations, marked a new chapter in what Chief Justice Roberts calls the 'persistent problem' of filling judicial vacancies," Patrick Leahy, the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman, said in a statement.

#10 maxcok, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  11. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oooops!
    That's what I get for taking what I read as true..I should have done a bit more research before I opined on the subject.....
    But I did say Dumont was nominated before Oetken...

12. maxcok

Gold Member

No problem. The media and bloggers tend to get carried away with stuff like this without doing sufficient researh of their own. It's not surprising you'd think that.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Yeah we all knew that already, straight guy. - Vaughn R. Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So really, what's the point you're trying to disingenuously allude to? That somehow gay men around here wouldn't know or care about this because Bush did the appointing, and that you had to be the one to enlighten us all? Seriously, when will you stop your frenzied crusade to demonize the lefties? It's so beyond tired... :rolleyes:

FQ is just mad that nobody has a "card" with his sorry behind on it. Then again, if I wanted a card with a straight caucasian male on it there are many more I could think of before he would even be considered as a candidate.

#13 B_VinylBoy, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  14. maxcok

Gold Member

The further distinction being that Walker was not openly gay and probably completely closeted at the time of his nomination and appointment. Also, he was originally nominated by Reagan, and apparently had to endure endless gay jokes and limpwristed impressions by the Gipper.

15. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

I ran in the Gay Race, once. Trained for months.

Was going to enter the Drag Race, but I'm not very comfortable in heels.

16. maxcok

Gold Member

^ You should give it a try. I bet they'd make your ass look fabulous.

17. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

HELLO?!?!?!?!?!? My ass already looks fabulous! :biggrin1:

18. faceking

Albums:
    I'm not .... I care how/what/way the preside. I'm not an affirmative action fool, .... actions/results not happy-make-everyone-feel-good about themselves.

19. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^Wow, someone got drunk early today.

20. maxcok

Gold Member

^ Totally plastered. Or may his cranium's just full of ropey cock snot.

:11: Astonishing. :alcoholic:

Yer tellin me. :tongue2: I should have said "I bet they'd make your ass look even more fabulous!

If that's even possible. :biggrin2:

Draft saved Draft deleted