Gay Marriage Ban initiative qualifies for California Ballot

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That state sure goes in a lot of directions at once.

I heard some survey results recently that a slight majority support gay marriage.

If it did pass it might be ruled unconstitutional by the state supreme court. It would also be pretty difficult to invalidate the marriages that have been legally performed.

I am sure that GLBT folks and allies in California are going to be peeved at having to fight another ballot initiative campaign.:frown1:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think you have it backwards kalipygian, I think the slight majority goes against gay marriage.

Maybe I miss heard, but I thought it was in favor. I was mildly surprised.
It was on NPR and I didn't start paying attention quickly enough., and it didn't repeat.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Maybe I miss heard, but I thought it was in favor. I was mildly surprised.
It was on NPR and I didn't start paying attention quickly enough., and it didn't repeat.

Well there was a post about the possible lift of the ban (Which happened), and it was said that the ban was because of a majority vote. You may be right though, the poll you heard may be more recent.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
Can someone actually explain to me what the downside to allow gay marriage is, or at least what the perceived downside is? I've never understood it at all, I've even tried to invent reasons and couldn't do it lol.

I'm serious by the way, I don't understand.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Every argument I have ever heard against gay marriage was based on religious principle in some form. Any extension from that, where someone tries to make a non religious based argument against gay marriage, usually falls under the category of "society will fall, people will want to marry animals next, "etc. None of them have ever had any real valid basis in any form or verifiable fact. It comes down to what it always comes down to---bigotry, and trying to justify bigotry by religion, or some pseudo science. Most of the same arguments were used for justifying not giving rights to African Americans. women, any of a number of religious groups, any number of races, etc. You can all claim how noble and righteous you are, but calling crap a rose doesn't make it stink any less. At least have the balls to admit you are a bigot, and that is why you oppose it.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My guess is they consider it an insult to sanctity of marriage. And will somehow make marriage mean less because gay people can do it. The whole "marriage should be between a man and a woman" spiel. And like what davidjh7 said, people are afraid of what might happen if they are allowed to get married. After all, most of them believe in an omnipotent god, and if they let this travesty happen (in their minds) that their god will unleash upon the world some horrible punishment for it. He did apparently flood the entire world for 40 days and nights because he was angry at the behavior of the humans at that time, if you believe that.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
Well I guess that's why I can't understand it, I'm not exactly the religious type. The whole thing is beyond ironic since, and I don't want to speak for anyone, but you don't really choose your sexual orientation, which in turn means if God exists.....well you know.

It's these hypocrites that makes me hope there is really a heaven. I can see it now, they get through to gates to find out it's one big steam bath with Jesus wearing a leopard skin thong and dancing to the YMCA. :wink: I can see the mouths dropping now.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Can someone actually explain to me what the downside to allow gay marriage is, or at least what the perceived downside is? I've never understood it at all, I've even tried to invent reasons and couldn't do it lol.

Because it's not in the bible! You go and let these homosexuals marry next thing you know people will want to marry a sheep.

Because it's not in the bible! Homosexuals suck dick or take it up the ass!

Because those damn homosexuals will marry and you know they will just go produce MORE homosexuals!!!! and u KNOW we just can't have that!!!

Because god made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

These are all paraphrased reasons of why I've heard people against gay marriage. It ALL boils down to religion. I've never heard any reason that couldn't be pinpointed to the bible.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
Because it's not in the bible! You go and let these homosexuals marry next thing you know people will want to marry a sheep.

Because those damn homosexuals will marry and you know they will just go produce MORE homosexuals!!!! and u KNOW we just can't have that!!!

These are all paraphrased reasons of why I've heard people against gay marriage. It ALL boils down to religion. I've never heard any reason that couldn't be pinpointed to the bible.

I mean it's not like I've head my head in the ground regarding this topic, I've heard all the same "reasoning" as well. I just didn't know if I missed something else is all since none of that makes any sense obviously.

B_coldstoli

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and who is going to stop marriages based on polygamy (because the people genuinely love each other) and even incest (if they genuinely love each other an d agree to sterilization)?

It's a slippery slope but the gay mafia don't want that discussion 'cuz it don't fit in the PC tunnel.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Hugh Mann

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can someone actually explain to me what the downside to allow gay marriage is, or at least what the perceived downside is?

No. My immediate gut reaction to people opposing gay marriage is disgust and dismissal. Ignoring arguments involving anything contained in the bible, in my opinion, the only relevant arguments that merit discussion are those involving children. I have seen NOT ONE reputable study that indicates children of gay couples are any worse off than children of heterosexual couples. In addition, all of the children I have known of gay parents are intelligent, articulate, and completely well-adjusted.

Let them marry. As a heterosexual, married male, I can assure you that the concept of gay marriage does not affect my marriage in the least, as many politicians and activists would have you believe. This idea that gays marrying will undermine my marriage is one of the most disgusting and revolting lies I have ever heard in my lifetime.

Last edited:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
and who is going to stop marriages based on polygamy (because the people genuinely love each other) and even incest (if they genuinely love each other an d agree to sterilization)?

It's a slippery slope but the gay mafia don't want that discussion 'cuz it don't fit in the PC tunnel.

Marriage is currently legally defined as something as to the effect of ONE woman to ONE man. Bigamy is against the law in everystate I think. Polygamists can campaign all the hell they want to. They can have "spiritual" wives but that doesn't change the fact that legally they only have one. Islam allows up to four wives. Doesn't mean that the state has to recognize all of them.

Marriages based on incest (direct biological connection) are illegal in the USA, AFAIK. In Germany a brother/sister have married, have 3 kids, and the brother/husband has spent no less than 3yrs cumulatively in jail, cuz he won't accept it, that their marriage is not legal and has been ordered to stay away from his wife/sister. Exactly how "incestous" are we talking? 1st cousin? 2nd cousin? exactly how far are you going to go back? Also note that MOST states do have laws against this. And a marriage valid in one state to your 1st cousin might be illegal in another.

The laws are already there on the books. Don't forget about the laws that banned marriage between someone that was black and another race. It was a slippery slope I mean just look everybody used to be black/white/oriental. and now that anyone can marry what the hell are we going to call those people?? <sarcasm>

Oh yes be fearful of the gay mafia... all those damn faggots just want to invade your house and give it a make over in lavendar and pink.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The biggest threat to the sanctity of marriage is not gays and lesbians wanting to get married, obviously: it's divorce.

Let them try and outlaw divorce and see how far they get.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I tried that question once before, Wartrac, when the idea was being tossed around by the Congress. No one would stay on topic, and the anti-gay folks made it into a shit-slinging contest - because they could not honestly answer the questions.

He did apparently flood the entire world for 40 days and nights because he was angry at the behavior of the humans at that time, if you believe that.
It was also my understanding that god promised he would never do that again.:confused:
Yes, everyone knows that sheep (and other pets) can't wait to start signing those marriage certificates.
Driving a car or taking the bus or subway is not in the bible either.
Actually, their argument is that if homersexuals marry, they can't have children. But we all know how dangerously underpopulated the world is now, and we also know that if homersexuals are allowed to marry, the straight folks will suddenly stop having children.
Ah, this is the one I like... actually, god made adam. Eve was merely an afterthought.
There are several, but whether based in the bible or not, none of them actually hold up to logical scrutiny.

You say that, but why is it a slippery slope? How exactly would polygamy harm you, personally?

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree with DC_Deep (see above). That's why I think gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and "questioning" (or unsure?) political candidates should campaign to make divorce much more difficult.

NCbear (who is speaking only half in jest here)