Gay Marriage Got Slaughtered

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm shocked, given the turnout this year, and the Obama support.

Arizona - ban
California - ban
Arkansas - ban
Florida - ban

Wow.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is the one huge, crushing disappointment from the election. In the UK we dont have gay marriage but we do have "civil partnerships" which are exactly the same, except just for us gays. If gay marriage is not possible then I am sure that civil unions / partnerships will become the norm soon (at least that's what I am hoping for). Obama never supported gay marriage but he does believe in same sex unions akin to marriage.

Prop 8 may not have gone in our favour but this is far from the end of the issue.

jerkdude75

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If civil partnerships, civil unions and whatever other name given to the institution are synonymous with marriage, then call them marriage. I don't believe in separate but equal because that's rarely the case. We've already had that fight in this country.

Let's just imagine for a moment that marriage and civil unions are 100% identical in every facet except name. That would still create an emotional "otherness" that's unfair regardless of the way it's labelled.

It would be different if the gay community said "we don't want to mimick straights and have the same name to our unions." What we have is a situation where the fear mongers, the frightened and the just plain ill-wishers (for lack of a better term) are forbidding this.

Still, I'm grateful to live in a time and place where this is now a part of our dialogue. Things will change. Oops, did I inadvertently slip the campaign slogan in there? hehe

B_Austin Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I honestly don't see why marriage is such a big deal. I'm gay and in Canada if you live with someone for two years, it's a common law relationship and you can apply for spousal medical benefits, life insurance if your partner has extended health through work. So basically, even if you choose not to marry, the law says you are sort of married anyway.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, but this is about the US, Austin.

gay people deserve the same rights. I can't believe they even allow a ban on gay marriage. Wish they did it over there like here. Allowed, end of discussion. (same for adopting children)

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
...and in Canada...
Well, in that case, it's obvious that the whole country is a den of sin, swirling down the toilet bowl to its ultimate destination of Hell, and deserved self-implosion. Thank Heavens that Cali hasn't followed your treacherous unenlightened path. I feel so relieved and protected. :rolleyes:

enviroboy23

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I honestly don't see why marriage is such a big deal. I'm gay and in Canada if you live with someone for two years, it's a common law relationship and you can apply for spousal medical benefits, life insurance if your partner has extended health through work. So basically, even if you choose not to marry, the law says you are sort of married anyway.

Well, here in America we can't apply for the same status and rights. Therefore, it's a big deal to us.

Got it now?:mad:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Judging by his number of posts on the subject, I'm guessing "glee". :rolleyes:

Figured. My issue in California what was done with the proposition. I thought it was an AWFUL precedent that a bunch of Democrats abused their power with. I was clear a number of time I couldn't care less on this matter. I really don't have much of an opinion. Sorry if not being part of the solution, somehow makes me the problem. I don't see it that way. As I do with many propositions (the ones that don't cost money) I sometimes just don't vote on them.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Figured. My issue in California what was done with the proposition. I thought it was an AWFUL precedent that a bunch of Democrats abused their power with. I was clear a number of time I couldn't care less on this matter. I really don't have much of an opinion. Sorry if not being part of the solution, somehow makes me the problem. I don't see it that way. As I do with many propositions (the ones that don't cost money) I sometimes just don't vote on them.
I think this would hold more water if you posted as passionately, and as prolifically, on even ONE of the other propositions. :wink:

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The only difference between Marriage and Domestic Partnership is the name. Straight couples can have a domestic partnership if they want it. If you wanna get "married" say, "Hey me and my boyfriend are getting married." It's just a term. At least in California it is.

I don't get why it's such a big deal. I must be brainwashed by Christianity or something.