Gay marriage.

Are you for or against gay marriage yes or no?

• Total voters

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think if we take the ever popular religious view on marriage... two people who are over 55 should not be allowed to be married.. or those who cannot have children. If we want to stick to the good old rule that marriage is for people who want to continue on the species. I believe the catholic view is so outdated that it is totally pointless to have it as a religion.

I'm not against gay marriage, but seeing people generalize and misconceive Catholic beliefs (I was raised Catholic) for the purpose of debasing them and attacking them really bothers me. If you're going to assume their logic is wrong, at least know their logic.

The Catholic opposition to gay marraige is simply one based on the belief that homosexual acts are immoral of their own accord and therefore cannot be sanctioned by the approval a marraige gives to the sexual relationship between the two members (NOT agreeing with this, just stating the facts). Part of this does have to do with the Catholic belief that sexual acts should leave OPEN the POSSIBILITY of procreation (even if they're 55 or can't have kids), thus the disapproval of birth control and anal sex; people forget that sex act is considered a "perversion" and is thus disapproved of in any relationship (they're thorough; I'm not saying others to save space--see why I left?!). However, the opposition to homosexuality could be made independently of this, simply on the belief that Biblical teachng condemns homosexuality in and of itself. As much as I laugh at people pulling the "Book of Leviticus" bs on me (as I don't believe that's a basis for anything; but that's not the point here) it is stated there and elsewhere, and Catholics choose to base part of their teaching on it, as well as "church tradition" that states "marraige" is a spiritual union of one man and one woman (even people who can't have kids). So even if that reproduction bent wasn't in place Catholics would still oppose gay marriage. You're combining issues that are in fact seperate, but have some shred of commonality.

Anyways (I'm gonna qualify this again to avoid :crucified:) I don't disapprove of gay marraige in any way, but don't distort people's beliefs. If you want to build an argument against Catholic teaching, that's just fine, but base it on Catholic teaching, not a generalized, misguided view of what you think it may be. Good advice for any situation attacking an argument really.

And on a last note, about the last sentance, you may be of that opinion, but it really comes off as ignorant, arrogant, and discriminatory. It's apparent that you don't really know the Catholic view, so why are you condemning an entire religion? And why should you? Say what you all will about Catholics trying to force beliefs onto the rest of the country, but that doesn't give anyone the right to condemn their entire religious intstitution simply because they differ on some beliefs "and we don't like it!" I don't agree with Catholic teaching on many things (I'm obviously having premarital sex and using birth control--and on a sexuality forum, which isn't condemnable, but it'd raise eyebrows since I "shouldn't" be having sex), but that statement was completely disrespectful of others' chosen way of life. Again, they might find your way of life condemnable and completely indefensible, but by saying that, you sound no more open minded nor tolerant than they do.

Anywho, as far as I stand, I agree with the gov't pulling out of "marraige" entirely and only dealing with the legal aspect, leaving religions free to recognize what they will as spiritual marraige.

And I'm not trying to get anyone mad here, so sorry if I did. Not a Catholic anymore, not opposed to gay marraige, not a fan of generalizing and condemning others on faulty grounds or spitefully mocking and hating on others' beliefs (joking is another issue; political correctness is for the birds :tongue: )

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Please, continue playing devil's advocate.

Explain to me exactly what is meant by "getting married in the house of the lord."

Well getting married in a church..,you know that big tall building where all the christians pray in? I'd never thought I'd have to explain to a man almost in his 50s.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well getting married in a church..,you know that big tall building where all the christians pray in? I'd never thought I'd have to explain to a man almost in his 50s.
Well, to begin with, I don't believe in god, I've stated that previously in this thread. I would not be getting married in the church, I've stated that, also. But you have made the claims that even those who don't get married in the church are "getting married in the house of the Lord of who opposes it." I'm trying to understand how you say that getting married by a justice of the peace is getting married in the house of the lord.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's the difference between a civil union and marriage, DC. A civil union is a contractual arrangement recognized by the government and a marriage is one that is recognized by your church.

I would not be upset if we as gay men could enjoy all the legal and financial benefits of straight marriages and just have it called a civil union. I'm not really all that concerned with the label, "marriage". I'm not interested in having any religion recognize or bless my partnership with another man. What I want are the benefits that have been denyed me for being gay. Call it what ever you want.

There is an argument among gay marriage purists that settling for the term "Civil Unions" is a blatant example of separate but equal injustice. I can see where they are coming from but I am more practical in the matter. The name change from "Civil Union" to "Gay Marriage" will come in a few years. What is wrong with doing this in 2 steps and enjoying all the benefits now?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's the difference between a civil union and marriage, DC. A civil union is a contractual arrangement recognized by the government and a marriage is one that is recognized by your church.
I understand that perfectly, earl. Please explain it to frazzle.:biggrin1:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Personally, I reject all church, so it wouldn't matter for me, but some have real faith and truer than many self professed believers, but their sexuality is rejected by the morality and leaders of their faith's sructure.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's Frizzle. Spell it correctly next time please.

What I don't understand is, if you're recognised by state, why do you feel the need to get married in a church?
You really don't seem to understand, but I have a hard time believing you are that dense.

The relationship I have with my partner is recognized neither by our federal government, nor by our state government. I DO NOT FEEL ANY NEED TO GET MARRIED IN ANY CHURCH. I've only stated that like, what, 6 or 7 times? The state of Virginia does not legally allow same-gender couples to have any legal protections, nor does the United States of America Federal Government.

Now, if that is not clear enough, let me know, I'll try to break it down a little further for you.

*Edit: Please, someone in the UK who can concisely answer a direct question for this ignorant yank: does the UK provide for secular marriage, or is the only way to get legal marriage status through the Church of England?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
*Edit: Please, someone in the UK who can concisely answer a direct question for this ignorant yank: does the UK provide for secular marriage, or is the only way to get legal marriage status through the Church of England?

Yes we can have a solely secular marriage at a registry office. Some vicars/priests will bless the union irrespective.

BurningVenus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

So. it's official, you are the center of the known universe? Let us know when they'll be making the announcement.

Knockernail

1st Like
Media
Good question.I can't speak for anyone else, but if it were not for the legal protections that it gives straight married couples, I wouldn't really be all that interested. But my partner and I are in a long-term relationship, and it would be nice to be able to file our taxes jointly, and to have the legal protections if one of us should die.

I know it, DC, many people get married for that reason. I was just kidding :tongue: .

The point that i can't understand is why people, some people, feel the need to rule the life of others. I mean, if allowing gay marriages involves an increase of taxes, i could understand some opinions, but allowing it doesn't bring any kind of consecuence. Nothing in my life is going to change because of the gay marriages, why should i care about it?

Knockernail

1st Like
Media
Good to see you again!

Most societies have not had formal legal definitions. And no one in a position of authority who could prohibit anyone. Roman men sometimes married each other. It was later prohibited by christian Byzantine emperors.

Within catholicism, for over three quarters of it's history, it was not formally defined as a sacrament(1563)

Thanks, mister.

I'm one of those who think that christianism got harder in the Middle Ages. Then, it loosed some of its basic ideas. So i don't give importance to arguments related to religion, i think it's a question of personal issues, not religious beliefs.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
*Edit: Please, someone in the UK who can concisely answer a direct question for this ignorant yank: does the UK provide for secular marriage, or is the only way to get legal marriage status through the Church of England?[/quote]

I doubt that Rowan Williams thinks Camilla and Charles are living in sin.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
The point that i can't understand is why people, some people, feel the need to rule the life of others. I mean, if allowing gay marriages involves an increase of taxes, i could understand some opinions, but allowing it doesn't bring any kind of consecuence. Nothing in my life is going to change because of the gay marriages, why should i care about it?

I would go further. It's a principle of Civil Rights, my sense of injustice is tweaked as much as it would be by inequality to any other group. That that intolerance comes from a group whose mantra is to love thy neighbour and who wallow in the mythologised victimhood and martyrdom of their saints and christ, just makes it even more absurd.