Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just wondering how many other gay men out there don't like pride parades/events. I've been to pride once. Didn't like it. It wasn't for me. For some reason it made me very uncomfortable. Keep in mind I'm out to all and don't make a big deal out of my sexuality. The older I get the more I see how it perpetuates negative steriotypes for gay men and women. For some, it also seems like a chance to be hyper sexual in public. Which I don't understand the need for as well. I realize a lot of people are going to tell me I'm wrong for feeling this way. Keep in mind I'm not out to win a popularity contest... That's not how I roll! I'd just like to see how many others share my opinion/view point.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Just wondering how many other gay men out there don't like pride parades/events. I've been to pride once. Didn't like it. It wasn't for me. For some reason it made me very uncomfortable. Keep in mind I'm out to all and don't make a big deal out of my sexuality. The older I get the more I see how it perpetuates negative steriotypes for gay men and women. For some, it also seems like a chance to be hyper sexual in public. Which I don't understand the need for as well. I realize a lot of people are going to tell me I'm wrong for feeling this way. Keep in mind I'm not out to win a popularity contest... That's not how I roll! I'd just like to see how many others share my opinion/view point.

They should combine all of them into one day

at lest there would be less street closers and less traffic

secret_agent

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've never attended a pride event because all the screaming and queening and letting off pink balloons just makes me cringe. Was this what so many men marched for in the past, the right to be silly and high-pitched in public? Inevitably anybody who questions the near-nudity and excessive behaviour is accused of being old or boring but is this carnival silliness really necessary when it can so easily provoke a backlash and threaten the hard won freedoms. It is almost as if some guys are fuelling the flames of controversy simply because they can. A dignified equality would be better than a flamboyant parade.

Just my opinion. Please don't shout at me.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
agree 100% OP
and guys below/above me. will respond with my personal reasons at length
when i have more time .. but totally agree with you guys .. just never been my thing ..

Reactions: kanhak

Cloppo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it is what you make it. You cannot lump everyone into one category. I do like to see the diversity that you see at Pride events. I do go to the parade, but then usually go get a bite to eat with friends after. I may go to a small get together later on- barbecue or something. And to counterpoint, tell me how many heterosexuals go out of their way to promote negative stereotypes about themselves ? And, there are plenty of people left who are chomping at the bit to take rights away or discriminate in this day and age. Fighting for freedom is not about one day. It is a daily thing. I think one's own discomfort with gay effeminate men is internalized homophobia. Whether butch or femme, all of us gay men like cock and ass(in one variety or another).

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not gay, and I know you didn't ask for my opinion, so disregard it at will. Gay pride parades have little to do with me, really, so this may be a viewpoint I've simply adopted by the homosexual people I know.

I support pride parades fully, I think gay people have every right to celebrate their own sexuality, but they (the pride parades) still rub me the wrong way. It seems to me that they serve the purpose for some homosexuals to confirm every negative stereotype in the book, just for the heck of it. I know these stereotypes are, for the most part, pure garbage, and that they deserve to be ridiculed. But I can't help thinking that doing it in this manner damages their purpose more than it helps. There's no need for these stereotypes to exist, 'cause they are an excuse for stupid people to discriminate against homosexuals.

Like I said, the gay people I know feel this way. They want nothing else than to not be judged on their sexuality. For people to get through their thick skulls that they are no different from other people and that they don't want to be treated differently just because of their sexuality. And along comes a huge party parade that makes a giant event out of the supposed character traits of all gay people. I understand why this make my gay friends feel indignant.

I think these over the top pride events reinforce negative views of homosexuality for the reasons all of you guys mentioned. It's a carnival atmosphere with screaming nearly naked queens decked out in fetish gear making out and groping each other in public. It doesn't help the cause in my opinion and makes people hate gays even more. Could you imagine an event like this for straight people? I don't think anyone could because it would be called indecent exposure or lewdness which are still crimes.

HFOStimmer

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think these over the top pride events reinforce negative views of homosexuality for the reasons all of you guys mentioned. It's a carnival atmosphere with screaming nearly naked queens decked out in fetish gear making out and groping each other in public. It doesn't help the cause in my opinion and makes people hate gays even more. Could you imagine an event like this for straight people? I don't think anyone could because it would be called indecent exposure or lewdness which are still crimes.

Ditto

LargeSide

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response

Basically my same thoughts.

I don't have anything against those that do enjoy the pride events, but I'd much rather avoid the noise/crowds and enjoy a relaxing day instead.

Reactions: subcub4hotties

Cloppo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You are kidding ? I cannot even count the amount of lewd behavior I have seen by heterosexuals in the last 40 years of my life. So, they get a pass for the other 364 days out of the year ? This thread is an example of why so many gay men could use a good therapist.

Reactions: Stratavos

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like them. From Dykes on Bikes to the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence to the Asian twinks running around in their underwear. It is a celebration and if you don't like it, don't go and don't watch on TV. It's that simple.

Reactions: jb9

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks AG08
feel i dont need to add my own thoughts to your very accurate description of how it is/how i have felt re it all from the outset.
my main grief re fellow Gays are the extreme behaviours some tend to allow themselves to exhibit, embarrassing to the max in my books.
i can understand the enthusiasm but some appear to believe its there right to express to all, Gays and Straights alike that 'we are Gay and Proud'
its just not necessary, am sure it makes more than a few of us cringe ..

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I dont like any kind of parades... just too boring.

Some pride parties are fine, no problem with that.

@secret agent
If you really think sutch events could create a backlash and threaten gay freedom, everyone should support gay pride. Cause in this case it shows gays dont have all the freedom they want and the sociaty isnt liberale

secret_agent

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't want to argue with Cloppo or anybody else as all are entitled to their opinion.....but to say that I am displaying internalised homophobia because of some discomfort with effeminate homosexuals is a bit harsh. Many many gay men have come through a difficult youth and unjustly been accused of being effeminate even when they weren't simply because an unsympathetic society once thought gay men were all effeminate. No wonder that as they get older they would avoid the excessive effeminate behaviour which stirred up society's hatred.

Yes I know the incremental changes and freedoms have been hard fought battles but surely the successes of the past are not celebrated by guys displaying bulges in jockstraps or dressing up in female clothing . As you get older some of seek a little dignity in middle age.

dutchbottom68

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know about the Pride that you attended… But here in NL the GayPride is an all week event, and has a Canal parade. Besides the Famous and outrageous parade there are all sorts of events to go. There are poetry and literature events, workshops, there are memorials, there are international speakers who tell us about the problems they have living in, or coming from a country where being gay is dangerous. Most people don't even know that is all part of the Gay Pride week.. Here(in Holland) we celebrate diversity and freedom, the Canal Parade is (in)famous for the extravagant and loud crowd… I guess that is a part of it all, not all of it…

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my city it is a fairly low-keyed event hosted in the city square. Social service organizations have booths, there is entertainment and food, gay and straight people meander about, people bring their children, the police are on hand and friendly. What's not to like?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't dislike pride events but the NYC event has become too big and crazy and too much hoi polloi attending for me. I prefer the Honolulu event and participate and even have a booth. Stop by next year!

Attachments