Gay = Prostitute: FDA says so, has to be true

leatherbottom

Experimental Member
Media
FDA says gay men still can’t donate blood - AIDS - MSNBC.com

Doctor have proven test that show HIV in 10-28 days. but the FDA is still living in the 1970's. Read the story on MSNBC.

Gay = Prostitite = IV drug user

banned for life from blood donation, even when they are proven safe. Of Course only the ones that admit it are banned. Those that pass for straight are not banned, althought they may be much less safe than the ones that are honest.

some of you tell me this isn't happening here. you are out of touch if you believe this is an island of tolerance, in a world of hate.

Hate has been hiding in the dark for years, it is still there. Just because the KKK isn't on the main streets anymore does not mean the world is a hate free zone.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
It's really unfortunate that this shit still exists. Not only does it effect me, but all of the people out there that are just living life. Disgusting.

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It sucks doesn't it? I still try to get in and donate blood from time to time at my community blood bank though.

1) It makes me feel like a good person.

2) I enjoy being passive aggressive.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Doctor have proven test that show HIV in 10-28 days. but the FDA is still living in the 1970's. Read the story on MSNBC.

banned for life from blood donation, even when they are proven safe. Of Course only the ones that admit it are banned. Those that pass for straight are not banned, althought they may be much less safe than the ones that are honest.

some of you tell me this isn't happening here. you are out of touch if you believe this is an island of tolerance, in a world of hate.

Hate has been hiding in the dark for years, it is still there. Just because the KKK isn't on the main streets anymore does not mean the world is a hate free zone.
We actually had a thread on this just a little while back. No one here (on this board) is denying that this happens here (in the USA).

In fact, one of our members asked our opinions on her moral dilemma. She has a much-desired 0- blood type. She has, since 1985, had sex (once, I think she said...) with a gay man, which would disqualify her from donating. I don't know what her ultimate decision was, but after much soul-searching, my advice to her was: don't donate. As wonderful and life-giving and rare and desperately needed as her blood is, she should follow strictly by their rules, just as they apply their rules to gay men who are provably negative and want to donate, but cannot.

Of course we are second-class citizens in a theocracy.

(LB, you should have seen the letter I sent to Senator Warner just before the debate on the "marriage amendment." He was NOT amused :biggrin1: )

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
We actually had a thread on this just a little while back. No one here (on this board) is denying that this happens here (in the USA).

In fact, one of our members asked our opinions on her moral dilemma. She has a much-desired 0- blood type. She has, since 1985, had sex (once, I think she said...) with a gay man, which would disqualify her from donating. I don't know what her ultimate decision was, but after much soul-searching, my advice to her was: don't donate. As wonderful and life-giving and rare and desperately needed as her blood is, she should follow strictly by their rules, just as they apply their rules to gay men who are provably negative and want to donate, but cannot.

Of course we are second-class citizens in a theocracy.

(LB, you should have seen the letter I sent to Senator Warner just before the debate on the "marriage amendment." He was NOT amused :biggrin1: )
Since 1988(year I was born), and it was twice(in 2006) sweetums ;) And I didn't donate.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since 1988(year I was born), and it was twice(in 2006) sweetums ;) And I didn't donate.
Ah, sweet TK, I thought it was you, and I was not certain about the numbers... but 1988 is indeed after 1985... and I misunderestimated the number of times. I still love ya! I just didn't want to search back to verify. That's why I was a bit vague. And thanks for making the right agonizing decision.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Actually, Orasure gives you results in 20 minutes and is 99.5% accurate. I just had my 6 month test today at the clinic. But if you're a gay man, have been tested every three months for a year, tested every 6 months to a year after that and remain negative, there's no reason they can't donate blood.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
The situation is rather dismal considering that the highest incidence of new AIDs cases is now in the heterosexual community. There should just be a general screening and waiting period with donated blood.

In general, if restrictions are going to be placed on blood donations, the CDC should generally mandate that people who have had no more than ~2 different sexual partners within a year should be temporarily ineligible from donation. That way, there wouldn't be discrimination along the lines of sexual orientation. It's the behavior that places people at risk, not the sexual orientation.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The situation is rather dismal considering that the highest incidence of new AIDs cases is now in the heterosexual community. There should just be a general screening and waiting period with donated blood.

In general, if restrictions are going to be placed on blood donations, the CDC should generally mandate that people who have had no more than ~2 different sexual partners within a year should be temporarily ineligible from donation. That way, there wouldn't be discrimination along the lines of sexual orientation. It's the behavior that places people at risk, not the sexual orientation.
Agreed. I read that the anal tissues are particularly susceptible to absorbing the HIV virus and i'm sure that's why gay men are targeted as high risk. Problem is that heterosexual couples engage in anal sex as well and, as you said, it's the behavior rather than the orientation AND the fact that more women are being diagnosed with HIV every year should be sufficient proof.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, Orasure gives you results in 20 minutes and is 99.5% accurate. I just had my 6 month test today at the clinic. But if you're a gay man, have been tested every three months for a year, tested every 6 months to a year after that and remain negative, there's no reason they can't donate blood.
No reason except prejudicial ideas among the policy-makers, and their unwillingness to admit their initial errors. But don't confuse facts with prejudice.
But you forget... gay = bad, straight = good... at least in the twisted minds of the above-mentioned policy-makers.
Unfortunately, that still relies upon self-reporting, and an apalling percentage of potential blood donors think it's just fine to lie about it.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Ah, sweet TK, I thought it was you, and I was not certain about the numbers... but 1988 is indeed after 1985... and I misunderestimated the number of times. I still love ya! I just didn't want to search back to verify. That's why I was a bit vague. And thanks for making the right agonizing decision.
It really didn't bother me all that much. The reason I thought of it in the first place, is my aunt was in an accident many years ago, and needed tons of blood, and I wanted to give back.

I actually have a fear of needles, so it wasn't that horrific for me not to do it :p

LouisVauban

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I tried to donate... there was a huge blood drive in NYC a couple years back. I had my negative HIV testing results in my pocket. I filled out their questionnaire honestly. The admininistrator, acting much like a prudish librarian, came by and whispered, "I'm sorry. We don't allow your kind to donate blood." I flew into a little hissy fit: ""MY KIND???!!!! This is MANHATTAN, Ma'am. I am HIV- and am 40 years old, which more than likely shows that I am unlikely to bcome positive real soon. New reports say that you are desperate for donations. But, you don't want any from MY KIND?" "The law is the law, sir," said she. I asked, "And the law says I can't?" The response was the one that put me over the edge: "Oh, no. That would be descriminatory. You can donate. But we are required by law to throw out the donation."

I INSISTED the woman take my blood.

I then called my assemblywoman in outrage. Her office would not return calls on the matter. (Even though the assemblywoman is a lesbian and usually quite forceful on same sex issues.)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Doesn't suprise me. Sodomy is still illegal in most states, making having gay sex (unless it's strictly oral) illegal.

Yes, homosexuals are still second class citisens, and even where they aren't (like in the UK) by law, they are by society's rules.
Fortunately, our illustrious Supreme Court struck down the sodomy laws. Most of the states that still had them kept them on the books, just in case... and have re-tooled them so that they re-define some things, notably how you find a potential sex partner and where you go to have sex.

But again, that's a topic for another thread.

Be that as it may, I don't think it is a law that they have to throw out donations from gay men, I think that's just it's the SOP set by the American Red Cross with assistance from the Centers for Disease Control.

husky14620

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Doesn't suprise me. Sodomy is still illegal in most states, making having gay sex (unless it's strictly oral) illegal.

Yes, homosexuals are still second class citisens, and even where they aren't (like in the UK) by law, they are by society's rules.

Right about second class, but WRONG! about illegal in most states. In 2003 the US Supreme Court decided in Lawrence vs. Texas to overturn their earlier Bowers vs. Georgia, effectively voiding the remaining 13 state sodomy laws in the process. And it was only 13 states prior to that, far from being most.