Gay+Religion

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Jaycat, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Jaycat

Jaycat New Member

Albums:
    I just came out and i've always been a chrisitian. I was wondering some of your guys' beleifs. It scares me, the whole "your gay so your going to hell thing". I just want your guys' two cents, it will be appriciated, thanks.

2. D_one and done

D_one and done New Member

I have a traditional christian family so Im well acquainted with all the bible tootin' gay bashers and their tactics. Being gay should in no way affect you being a christian. Even if being gay is considered a "sin"(which is debatable), in God's eyes its no better or worse than any other sin. sin is sin. If that is the religion in which you believe, then you can no more go to hell for the "sin" of being gay than you can for the sin of stealing or lying.

Theres my two cents :) hope it helps

3. visualalert

visualalert New Member

I'm an agnostic but have been religious (Christian) in the past and am not hostile to any religion except Islam. Since you are a Christian, I suggest you pray about it. There are gay-friendly denominations that might help you come to terms with your conflict.

The thing I'd recommend the most is that even if you encounter haters in the Christian world, don't become one yourself. Some Christians will hate you; don't hate them back.

And realize that you must have realized you were gay and Christian before you came out. So God knew ahead of time. That's probably the relationship you should be most concerned about - you and God - vs. you and the people you came out to, who are probably worrying you more at this point.
    Trust me, they will get over it. Being gay, at least in the US, is no longer a big deal.

4. Gonzo3

Gold Member

Albums:
    Always remember GOD LOVES YOU (..I have called you by name you are mine...) and made you as you are complete ........always try to respond too life in the right way and you will be happy.....dont worry about sin its only a word.... god is not concerned with words but actions....GAY or STRAIGHT .......god bless you..........BE HAPPY...:smile:

5. Brendnj

Brendnj New Member

You know the gay haters that validate their own bigotry via the bible. I would suggest taking their comments with a grain of salt. Conveniently altering and taking out of context material that has been translated thousands of times over hundreds of years is a far from accurate way to gauge your own life.

Have your own relationship with whatever power it is you believe and live your life to the fullest under your own besiege.

6. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

Jaycat - GOD DOES NOT MAKE ANY JUNK!!!

Jesus spoke about many issues of his day but NEVER spoke about homosexuality to any degree. The only people Jesus condemned were the hypocrites - he called them white-washed sepulchers (a place for the dead). Especially at this time of the year - know that you are blessed and held in the arms of our Creator God, in whatever form or shape you see him/her/it.

Happy Easter - if you want to talk more, send me a message.

7. chaz7491

chaz7491 Member

there are places where some of us don't care about your sexual orientation. you are who you are and how that is determined ( i believe it a genetic predisposition)
    is of no concern to me. you are a child of God just as am i. C.

8. aschlong

aschlong Member

Albums:
    Isn't Christianity all about love? Are all those who preach against falling in love with another man really preaching bigotry? We are all animals as well, so lust should not be a problem, except there are people afraid of that lust. I lust after cock, doesn't make me a sinner. I think where you are from might raise more insecurities about being gay. My parents are Irish, and went mad when I told them, but now they are really cool about being gay, and actually pleased I will not have the hassle of children.

9. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    The Bible is not the word of God, but inspired by God.
    Yes, there are passages in the Bible condemning homosexual lust, but many things have to be reconsidered to fit to modern society, as the Bible was written for the society 2000 years ago, when things and views were different.
    Note the word lust. The bible nowhere says that homosexuality is wrong, it simply warns that a man should not lust for a man like he may lust for a woman, as this may lead to troubles in their lives.

I believe much of the Bible is misinterprated, often by people who want to 'prove' it is wrong.

The Bible is very extreme simply to put forward straightforward points. Note that it says that 'you should hate your mother and father'. nobody in their right minds can take this literally. it was said in the context placing forward the argument that love for God (God = love) is paramount when compared to love for one's parents.

Anyway, as I waas saying, these passages are outdated and designed simply to tell the reader that lusting over men is likely to have the same effect and lusting over women.

I hope some of you consider this argument...

*- Just the opinion of a humble dumbcow*

10. Gonzo3

Gold Member

Albums:
    ...:smile:

11. Corius

Corius New Member

This is a subject which needs more airing on this site and others. I am no less a man of faith because of my sexual orientation and I can match those who would bash us with insights from that same Bible which are more in line with the real world where people both believe and enjoy the gift from God of their unique sexuality. I WILL BE BACK!

12. Jason

Gold Member

Christianity offers a gospel of love, of God's love for us, our love for God and our love for one another. This is the central message.

Yes, if you look hard enough you can find passages in the Bible which condemn homosexuality. There are passages in the Bible which condemn those who wear clothes made from mixed fibres or don't cut their hair in the required manner. Some obscure OT passages describes brutal events which appear to be approved - genocide and rape - while the OT and NT say some pretty negative things about women.

The Bible is written by men, translated by men, interpreted by men. There is a view that says the Bible is a reflection of the word of God, not directly the word of God. All ages should take from it the broad message, but all ages have trouble with the detail, and the Bible-thumpers who argue "the Bible says" + obscure quote + "therefore you must do / not do x else go to hell" - these in my view have miss-read the totality of the Bible and missed the important, central message.

What is important is the way in which you live your life. Live your life with love: for God, for your neighbour, for yourself. These things determine the fate of your soul, not whether you happen to be gay or straight, or whether you have red hair or a big nose.

13. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    ^ Jason, like I said, I think too many people misinterprate the Bible and pick at odd bits. I used the example of 'hate your mother and father', which I think shows how the Bible can be easily misinterprated these days.

Also, I must point out that a lot of stuff was lost in translation. It was written in Greek (I think) and in translation, the true meaning sometimes does not come across. For example, the Greeks have 5 words for different levels and kinds of love, whilst we have just one, rendering some verses confusing and meaningless because they are not translated properly...

14. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

Jason - great words -

15. Gonzo3

Gold Member

Albums:
    ........DITTO........AND Who mentioned BIG NOSES :rolleyes: sorry to be flipant.

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Read this and feel better:

Homosexuality and the Bible

some excerpts:

Homosexuality and the Bible
    by The Rev. Dr. Walter Wink

Sexual issues are tearing our churches apart today as never before. The issue of homosexuality threatens to fracture whole denominations, as the issue of slavery did a hundred and fifty years ago. We naturally turn to the Bible for guidance, and find ourselves mired in interpretative quicksand. Is the Bible able to speak to our confusion on this issue?
    The debate over homosexuality is a remarkable opportunity, because it raises in an especially acute way how we interpret the Bible, not in this case only, but in numerous others as well. The real issue here, then, is not simply homosexuality, but how Scripture informs our lives today.

Some passages that have been advanced as pertinent to the issue of homosexuality are, in fact, irrelevant. One is the attempted gang rape in Sodom (Gen. 19:1-29). That was a case of ostensibly heterosexual males intent on humiliating strangers by treating them "like women," thus demasculinizing them. (This is also the case in a similar account in Judges 19-21.) Their brutal behavior has nothing to do with the problem of whether genuine love expressed between consenting adults of the same sex is legitimate or not. Likewise Deut. 23:17-18 must be pruned from the list, since it most likely refers to a heterosexual prostitute involved in Canaanite fertility rites that have infiltrated Jewish worship; the King James Version inaccurately labeled him a "sodomite."

Several other texts are ambiguous. It is not clear whether 1 Cor. 6:9 and 1 Tim. 1:10 refer to the "passive" and "active" partners in homosexual relationships, or to homosexual and heterosexual male prostitutes. In short, it is unclear whether the issue is homosexuality alone, or promiscuity and "sex-for-hire."

Unequivocal Condemnations
    Putting these texts to the side, we are left with three references, all of which unequivocally condemn homosexual behavior. Lev. 18:22 states the principle: "You [masculine] shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination" (NRSV). The second (Lev. 20:13) adds the penalty: "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Such an act was regarded as an "abomination" for several reasons. The Hebrew prescientific understanding was that male semen contained the whole of nascent life. With no knowledge of eggs and ovulation, it was assumed that the woman provided only the incubating space. Hence the spilling of semen for any nonprocreative purpose--in coitus interruptus (Gen. 38:1-11), male homosexual acts, or male masturbation--was considered tantamount to abortion or murder. (Female homosexual acts were consequently not so seriously regarded, and are not mentioned at all in the Old Testament (but see Rom. 1:26). One can appreciate how a tribe struggling to populate a country in which its people were outnumbered would value procreation highly, but such values ...

17. B_Giovani

B_Giovani New Member

Why are you hostile to Islam???

18. B_Giovani

B_Giovani New Member

Actually he spoke about hommosexuality more then once and it is very clear.

19. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Um... just as you gave up the myth of your own heterosexuality to live a truthful life, you can just as easily give up the myth of heaven or hell and live in the peace of knowing that the only thing that matters in this life is your character and how you treat others....

You don't need religion to live a spiritual life. You don't need the threat of punishment, nor the promise of a reward to act morally. That's how children too young to reason are motivated.

I really don't understand gay people wanting to believe in Christianity.
    The bible really does condemn homosexuality.
    It also condemns your children for even 'hearing' the name of some other God.

It also celebrates genocide...

And if you actually read everything attributed to Jesus, not just the palatable excerpts, you will find that he is angry, intollerant, and kind of a jerk.

Why not form you own sense of morality...
    Why stick with a flawed and hate filled belief system just because its the first story you were told? just because its the one you are most familiar with...

I heartily recommend Julia Sweeney's "Letting go of God"

20. MaxCurious

MaxCurious Member

i think homosexuality is God's solution to the population problem!

i dont mean to be offensive in any way and that's kind of a joke. i was raised roman catholic and they always taught that "God made everything" and all that. so somewhere along the line God must have made some people gay?

Draft saved Draft deleted