Gay+Religion

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
My view is that when it says 'The Kingdom of God', it means the state of contentment / happiness.
When the Bible was written, Gays were not accepted, so it was necessary to point out that being openly homosexual at the time it was written was not going to lead to a happy life.

Times have changed - but the Bible hasn't

I said it before and I'll say it again - The Bible is about life before death

cm70874

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You're an ignorant jackass who obviously misunderstood both of my posts. If I were a religious bigot, I'd be shit talking every homosexual on this site that came across me. Because trust me when I say that I make sure people I don't like KNOW that I don't fucking like them. Kinda like you, Domisoldo. I really don't like you now that you tried to call me out to be some kind of asshole, homophobic bigot. This happens to be the first time I've commented on a biblical post and WHADDYA KNOW... a stupid son of a bitch who was too ignorant to look at a post subjectively and without bias happened to run his big mouth off to me and try to make me out to be the scapegoat. It is gay people like you that produce homophobes who constantly berate you. Its your own fault that you're constantly on the defensive, defending your homosexuality, because of your damned ignorance. Its people like vxie and a few other dudes on here that prove that there are definitely intelligent, cool gay people that are fun to talk to and are not ignorant as you obviously are.

A loophole? Did I come off as "holier than thou?" Did I even EVER fucking mention that I claimed to be a Christian? I've never told anyone on this site my faith and I never will because I know that the potential of someone ignorant and pathetic such as you may mistake my claim to faith as being that of a homophobe or bigot.

And lastly... who the FUCK are you to judge me? I wasn't judging anyone in my posts... in fact... go read the disclaimer in my first post, you fucking moron.

You are the SHIT!!!! :smile: Well said.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I cannot speak on this website of religion as their are naked pictures on this website..and how can someone call themselves religious if either they
are exposing themselves..or looking for naked pics. But I can speak of
spirtuality..and I think that beyond sex...these is this feeling that one
wants to feel some how connected to a higher level of being.

rdberg1957

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The overriding message is to be gentle with yourself. Things are changing. In the mid-1970's, many considered gay people to be worse than murderers. As more gay people have come out, it has become very difficult to hold on to those beliefs. When those with hostile beliefs come face to face with real people, many of them change. So then, whatever your religious beliefs are, change them if they make you miserable, keep them if they contribute to your well-being. This I heard from an African-American Christian counselor.

Gonzo3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
:rolleyes: .AWWW......NOW .....NOW..... Guys calm down ,this is why we are well advised not to discuss two things in life.....Religion,and Politics,..(its all a matter of opinion no one person,or religion has the monopoly on truth) its divisive and leads to this ,Mistrust,Anger and Hatred of are brothers and sisters,......fellow seekers and traveler's on the path....."There are many pathways on the mountain"....PEACE.. OUT..... :smile:

Gonzo3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
:rolleyes: .AWWW......NOW .....NOW..... Guys calm down ,this is why we are well advised not to discuss two things in life.....Religion,and Politics,..(its all a matter of opinion no one person,or religion has the monopoly on truth) its divisive and leads to this ,Mistrust,Anger and Hatred of are brothers and sisters,......fellow seekers and traveler's on the path....."There are many pathways on the mountain"....PEACE.. OUT..... :smile:
.........:smile:

Sinnerly

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is amazing how much this stirs people.

As an atheist, I recommend seeking proof.

Since you can't know someone's true thinking, know your own.

How do YOU feel? If you actually believe in Hell and Heaven, and that it's a sin, then live as a sinner . . . or don't. But if it seems like the hate may be stemming from another place, well, simply know yourself.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just once I would like to see the only scripture found in the New Testament that says anything about being gay quoted like this.

1 Corinthians 6:9 - 10 (King James Version)

9: "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God"

Why isn't this scripture ever quoted like this? Just so we are clear, all those that have ever had sex before they are married, had an affair, have ever lied, been drunk, stole a paper clip from work or condemned others are all the same as being gay according to this one scripture. And does abusers of themselves with mankind mean jerkin off? Damn, there will be no men in heaven I guess. So let the stones start flying from all you perfect christians.

Good point. This is a man - Paul - writing down his beliefs. The same man states some demonstrably wrong things, for example that women should not address a congregation, and if they have anything that they want to know they should ask their husbands at home. "It is a shocking thing that a woman should address the congregation". (I Corinthians 14 35). If we were to follow all the teaching of Paul we allow women only a secondary place in the church, more or less require them to take husbands, and by implication see women as second class people. Doubtless there are some fundamentalists who do think this, but the teaching of Christ sees this as wrong - the idea that all (women as much as men) have direct access to God. The point is that Paul is not always right. He is an error-prone man who makes mistakes, who additionally has been translated and interpreted by generations, so that what we have today is a version of what he wrote which in the end is just his view.

By the way Paul actually says that these various groups (which together comprise the majority of humanity) cannot possess the kingdom of heaven unless they have been through the "purifying waters". (I Corinthians 6 11). Presumably these waters are the Grace of God.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The bible's hatred of homosexuality, as many other things about the Christian church(es), is purely economic. A church/religion that is starting from nothing needs followers, having to bring each of those followers into the fold is wasteful, so you need the the already indoctrinated followers to have and indoctrinate offspring.

Homosexual copulation does not lead to reproduction, thus limiting that path of indoctrination.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The bible's hatred of homosexuality, as many other things about the Christian church(es), is purely economic. A church/religion that is starting from nothing needs followers, having to bring each of those followers into the fold is wasteful, so you need the the already indoctrinated followers to have and indoctrinate offspring.

Homosexual copulation does not lead to reproduction, thus limiting that path of indoctrination.

I'm not sure that I agree with this post as it stands, but I think it raises a key issue - that we could look for a reason behind Paul's outburst against homosexuals.

* It is possible that he was simply reflecting unconcious prejudices that he had, and that we really shouldn't read too much into it.
* It is possible that there is an implicit cultural/ethnic point - he is condeming homosexuality which was something the Greeks generally accepted, and he is doing it in a letter to Greeks.
* It is possible that he was himself a repressed homosexual, and that this comment reflects his own issues.

The anti-homosexual comment in Corinthians is one man's view. It is not the word of God. It is the words of Paul.

boerkie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yet you found a loophole in The Bible that gives you a free pass to expose your fully erect penis on LPSG.

You're good!

Do consider becoming a litigation lawyer or a spin doctor for the McCain campaign (who evidently needs help pandering to the religious bigots club).

domisoldo, you make me smile! chewing on this thread, will be back...

Cynix

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^ Jason, like I said, I think too many people misinterprate the Bible and pick at odd bits. I used the example of 'hate your mother and father', which I think shows how the Bible can be easily misinterprated these days.

Also, I must point out that a lot of stuff was lost in translation. It was written in Greek (I think) and in translation, the true meaning sometimes does not come across. For example, the Greeks have 5 words for different levels and kinds of love, whilst we have just one, rendering some verses confusing and meaningless because they are not translated properly...

I might be wrong, but due to my knowledge, the bible was first written in Hebrew and then translated to Latin (-> Vulgata), Greek came much later...

since most things have been said already I can only emphasize...

you are what you are and if god didn't want you that way you wouldn't be... full stop

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't want religious doctrines and judgments. I want spiritual understanding. I want spiritual integrity and direction. I want my peace of mind, wisdom and strength during the hurricanes of life. I want to say the right things at the right times. I want God to come down here and speak for himself/herself. Sort all these misunderstandings out once and for all.

Jaycat

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't want religious doctrines and judgments. I want spiritual understanding. I want spiritual integrity and direction. I want my peace of mind, wisdom and strength during the hurricanes of life. I want to say the right things at the right times. I want God to come down here and speak for himself/herself. Sort all these misunderstandings out once and for all.

Lol that would be extremely nice and releaving.

*DRUM ROLL*

COUGH.....COUGH..... GOD thats you que......

OH NEVER MIND!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The "bible" was NOT first written in hebrew, nor first translated into Latin.

It was ASSEMBLED by the council of nicea which determined what would be christian teaching nearly 250 years after Jesus died. Many sources were gathered to create the 'anthology that is the bible... Some in Greek, some in Hebrew, some in Demotic, some in Aramaic.

And many many documents were voted OUT of the anthology... it went thru revisions over an 11 year period.

The hotbutton topic at the council ( which the Vatican still has the minutes of ) Was whether Jesus was in fact divine, or not... 259 years after he died and it was still not decided....
A very large contingent of "christians" argued, compellingly, that making Jesus divine would destroy his teaching... since he claimed that anything he had done, ANY man could do... which would clearly be a lie if Jesus were actually God.

Another hot button issue was that of the immacualte conception, which 90% ot today's Christians mistaken believe refers to the virgin birth of Jesus.
It does not.

It refers to the fact that Mary, being human and thus born with the stain of original sin ( in a time before baptism) would be an unfit vessel to birth God... SO they simply DECIDED that she must have been the first person on earth since Adam and Eve to be born "immaculate", that is, without the stain of original sin.

Many early Christians protested the doctrine of Immaculate conception, because it set Mary apart as "semi-Divine", and there fore set her up as an object of worship, which violates the first commandment as idolatrous.

Well, guess who carried the day?

So there you have it... the Bible was put together by a committee.

Jesus was VOTED to be divine long long after he died... and Mary was invented to be immaculate- as the result of a debate... making Chritianity no different than the polytheistic beliefs that predated it, with a host of minor semi-dieties referred to as saints.

AND, the books of the bible, copied by hand for a thousand years, are chock full of mistakes, incorrect translations and outright embellishments and lies.... as can be proven by OLDER manuscripts of the stories that are entirely different in content.

Really... Its not a magical tome... its a corporate handbook.

Look into the truth of the founding of your faith and all its majesty melts away and you see Jesus as the L Ron Hubbard of his time.

Move on... the world, today is a far better place, and has only materially improved as a RESULT of secularized governance and liberalized science.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good point. This is a man - Paul - writing down his beliefs. The same man states some demonstrably wrong things, for example that women should not address a congregation, and if they have anything that they want to know they should ask their husbands at home. "It is a shocking thing that a woman should address the congregation". (I Corinthians 14 35). If we were to follow all the teaching of Paul we allow women only a secondary place in the church, more or less require them to take husbands, and by implication see women as second class people. Doubtless there are some fundamentalists who do think this, but the teaching of Christ sees this as wrong - the idea that all (women as much as men) have direct access to God. The point is that Paul is not always right. He is an error-prone man who makes mistakes, who additionally has been translated and interpreted by generations, so that what we have today is a version of what he wrote which in the end is just his view.

By the way Paul actually says that these various groups (which together comprise the majority of humanity) cannot possess the kingdom of heaven unless they have been through the "purifying waters". (I Corinthians 6 11). Presumably these waters are the Grace of God.

Yes, there are fundamentalists who do think this. I went to a church that preached this, and most of my extended family still believe and preach this. I left the church at age 17 over the issue of sexism, and never looked back (although I have gone to Unitarian Universalist churches since). Now, I know that there are Christian denominations that are not fundamentalist, and do not see women as second class people. I could maybe see myself going to one of them, but I have some lingering difficulties.

As for my beliefs regarding homosexuality, I was raised in, as you might have guessed, a very homophobic family and community (my parents are only slightly homophobic though, while the extended family and most of the community are extremely so). Due to some of my own experiences growing up (such as the fact that many people in my hometown thought I was gay because I was very nontraditional...), however, I managed to not be homophobic myself.