Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by surferboy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I decided to just lump anything that has to do with gay rights here. So like, get this. There's a new law in Texas that says gays can't raise foster children. It gets worse. The Texan government can now also look into whether you are gay or not. TAG, I love ya chicka, but yer state...Wow.

2. KinkGuy

Gold Member

But they are just one of many legislating discrimination into law.

Texas State Laws

Texas Adoption Law
    Texas permits single GLBT people to adopt. It is unclear whether same-sex couples are allowed to adopt. In some jurisdictions a person can adopt his or her same-sex partner’s adopted child. Also may be overturned.

Texas Custody and Visitation Law
    Courts have used a parent’s sexual orientation to deny, restrict or modify custody and visitation. There have been no cases dealing with transgender parents. It is unclear whether a same-sex co-parent could be granted custody or visitation.

Texas Donor Insemination Law
    Texas law appears to permit unmarried women to undergo donor insemination.

Texas Hate Crimes Law
    State law covers hate crimes based on sexual orientation but not gender identity.

Texas Marriage/Relationship Recognition Law
    Texas bans recognition of same-sex marriage. There are no other forms of relationship recognition for same-sex couples in state law or policies.

Texas Non-Discrimination Law
    Texas law does not address discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.

Texas School Law
    Texas law does not address school issues relating to sexual orientation or gender identity.

Texas Sodomy Law
    The Texas sodomy law was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court on June 26, 2003, as a result of the Court’s decision in Lawrence v. Texas.

Texas Surrogacy Law
    Texas law permits surrogacy agreements for married couples only.

3. yaoifun

yaoifun New Member

Nixxy, it's TEXAS! What we're ya expecting from one of the most republican states in the country? (No offense to you TAG, you're awesome!) But seriously, that is just wrong. What's so morally wrong with being gay? Just because you like something different than some other people means you can't even adopt or foster? That is just insulting and wrong! It's not like we're inhumane criminals :(

4. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Damn. Texas sucks.

BTW guys...no offense to me at all. I love Texas b/c the majority of the people seem to be the friendliest I've ever met. Where else will someone pull over on the shoulder of the road to let you pass? I also love Texas for the beauty of the hill country.

I certainly don't agree with any of those laws above. It's sick to me how some people won't give a kid to 2 loving people who happen to be the same sex and they would rather them be raised in a foster home.

5. KinkGuy

Gold Member

It ain't paradise (understatement of the year) but li'l old New Mexico, as backward as we are in many ways, is an amazingly progressive, socially responsible state.

New Mexico State Laws

New Mexico Adoption Law
    New Mexico permits single GLBT individuals and same-sex couples to adopt. In some jurisdictions a person can adopt his or her same-sex partner’s adopted child.

New Mexico Custody and Visitation Law
    Courts typically will not consider a parent’s sexual orientation in custody and visitation determinations unless it is shown to adversely affect or harm the child(ren). There have been no cases dealing with transgender parents. Courts will allow a former same-sex partner (with no legal or biological relationship to the child(ren)) to petition for visitation.

New Mexico Donor Insemination Law
    New Mexico law permits unmarried women to undergo donor insemination.

New Mexico Hate Crimes Law
    State law covers hate crimes based on gender identity and sexual orientation.
    Which is why Rev. Phelps showed up last weekend to protest the hate crimes charge against the guys who nearly beat a gay man to death in Santa Fe a few weeks ago.

New Mexico Marriage/Relationship Recognition Law
    No provision of New Mexico explicitly addresses same-sex marriages celebrated in another jurisdiction. The state offers domestic partnership benefits to state employees.

New Mexico Non-Discrimination Law
    New Mexico law protects against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

New Mexico School Law
    New Mexico law does not address school issues relating to sexual orientation or gender identity.

New Mexico Sodomy Law
    The New Mexico sodomy law was repealed in 1975.

New Mexico Surrogacy Law
    New Mexico law permits surrogacy agreements.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

If you believe that sexuality is a part of genetics, then you have to also believe that denying homo/bi-sexual people the same rights afforded to others is just plain WRONG.
    If my state went that psycho, I'd have to move I'm afraid. Good thing Rehoboth Beach isn't that far away.

7. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Here ya' go. Not psycho.

Delaware State Laws

Delaware Adoption Law
    Delaware permits single GLBT people to adopt and does not explicitly prohibit same-sex couples from adopting. In some jurisdictions a person can adopt his or her same-sex partner’s adopted child.

Delaware Custody and Visitation Law
    Courts typically will not consider a parent’s sexual orientation in custody and visitation determinations unless it is shown to adversely affect or harm the child(ren). There have been no cases dealing with transgender parents. Courts will allow a former same-sex partner (with no legal or biological relationship to the children) to petition for visitation.

Delaware Donor Insemination Law
    There is no provision on donor insemination in Delaware state law.

Delaware Hate Crimes Law
    State law covers hate crimes based on sexual orientation but not gender identity.

Delaware Marriage/Relationship Recognition Law
    Delaware bans recognition of same-sex marriage. There are no other forms of relationship recognition for same-sex couples in state law or policies.

Delaware Non-Discrimination Law
    Delaware law does not address discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.

Delaware School Law
    Delaware law does not address school issues relating to sexual orientation or gender identity.

Delaware Sodomy Law
    The Delaware sodomy law was repealed in 1973.

Delaware Surrogacy Law
    There is no provision on surrogacy in Delaware state law, but it appears to be prohibited

8. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I've been to texas and I liked it there. hell, who wants kids these days anyway??

9. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

A huge part of me does believe that sexuality is genetics. And I base that solely on a family I know....out of 5 brothers, 3 of them are gay.

The oldest 3 have a different mother than the youngest 2 and weren't raised the same way...just to somewhat discredit anyone that would argue that it could also be nurture vs. nature.

10. Imported

Gold Member

carolinacurious:
    Well see, there's your mistake, most of these people don't believe in genetics!

11. Freddie53

Gold Member

Well Nixxy I am just going to jump right in.

First before I get to the children. The state has no business investigating anyone's sexual orientation. The only exceptions is if a person is being investigating for the murder or violatoin of a law of a person and the state is trying to see if there was a romantic interest there a motive for killing or breaking of the law. That and something similar is the only exception. Period.

This idea of genetics, scientific studies and all kinds of tests and standarized norms is something new in human history.

I am referring here to America, I don't know how it is in other countries. But, in America, we have the freedom to live our life in our own home as we see fit. The law does set standards for children. They can be taken away. The law does provide for government intervention if one adult is being held hostage against his or her own will.

But, generally, we are supposed to be a free society. If two consenting adults want to live together, have sex together or what ever it is their business. The state's only concern is how public they make it. We do have standards for that.

It should not matter whether is is a man and a man or a woman and a woman or a woman and a man. Adults should be free to pursue relationships with other adults without intervention from the state.

Now about the children. Always the child's interest should be paramount. What is best for the child?

If one person or two persons want to adopt a child, the state needs to consider whether they are capable of being parents and if the child would be better of being adopted or better of staying in the foster child system. That is the only thing that should be considered. The sexual orientation should not be a factor at all.

Certainly, if a single parent had a child and there was a significant other living in the house and the two adults had been together for a significant time, the non parent adult is part of that child's family now. If the natural parent dies, what damage is going to be inflicted if the child is forbidden to see the adult that once was almost like or was like a parent? Very much. And to base it on sexual orientation of the adult is a foolish criteria to consider. The child has now lost two parents. Double trauma.

Unfortunately, our judges are using arbitary rules in child custody cases. What is best for the child is not considered. Children are taken sobbing away from one adult and given to another.

The worst case is the "Hey I am the parent syndrome" A father suddenly decides he wants his child whom he has never seen. The child was put up for adoption and has known this two wonderful parents. At age 11, the child is snatched up and taken away from the only parents he has known and given to a stranger and the child is not allowed to ever see his parents again until he is 18. We are protecting the rights of an adult. Screw the child.

So, I am rambling a little, but I think I have made my point. Screw even looking at labels, sexual orientation and things like that completely. They are irrevelent. WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CHILD IS THE MAIN CONCERN AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE.

If you cant tell, my treatise said let gays and lesbians raise, or adopt chlidren if that is what is in the best interst of the child. And rightwingers, sexual orientation doesn't count as a negative in this situation. It is totally irrevelent and should remain that way.

As for foster parents. If two people are living together and want joint responsiblity for a foster child, then there abiity to take care of the child and give it nurture and not abuse the child is of paramount importance. There is no need to investigate what turns each of the adults on sexually. That isn't part of raising a child. It is needless information. Only the ability of the adults to raise the child should be considered.

And a single adult should be considered as well.

12. jonb

Gold Member

Oh, you should see South Dakota. The good news is, SD doesn't have hate crime laws excluding violence against gays. The bad news is, SD doesn't have hate crime laws.

Of course, if we're talking about sexual perversion (which is what every good red-stater thinks of homosexuality as), one of the most popular politicians in recent SD history raped his foster daughter and then killed her to silence her. Then he used his power as (then) state attorney general to go after anyone who accused him of this.

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, at least he wasn't a QUEER!

14. Freddie53

Gold Member

Jana,
    I am amazaed at your understanding of the law there in South Dakota. With this change of heart, who knows, you might make a good judge.

This guy sounds like he would make an excellent "special prosecutor."

15. jonb

Gold Member

Actually, I'm convinced Bush is a queer. Anyone here don't believe Bush is a homo? Let's look at the evidence:

*A male prostitute for a press reporter. This male prostitute stayed in the Lincoln bedroom literally scores of times.
    *An obsession with gay marriage. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
    *He played lumberjack on Earth Day. Oh wait, that's transvestites.
    *Overuse of "straight" words like fabulous.
    *He's dressed as a GI and as a cowboy. Now all we need is a construction worker, a biker, and an Indian.

Sorry, but all that's more gay than most Kinsey 6's.

Jon (Whatever 10% of me's queer, it ain't my eye.)

16. Freddie53

Gold Member

Actually, I'm convinced Bush is a queer. Anyone here don't believe Bush is a homo? Let's look at the evidence:

*A male prostitute for a press reporter. This male prostitute stayed in the Lincoln bedroom literally scores of times.
    *An obsession with gay marriage. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
    *He played lumberjack on Earth Day. Oh wait, that's transvestites.
    *Overuse of "straight" words like fabulous.
    *He's dressed as a GI and as a cowboy. Now all we need is a construction worker, a biker, and an Indian.

Sorry, but all that's more gay than most Kinsey 6's.

Jon (Whatever 10% of me's queer, it ain't my eye.)
    [post=306325]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Sounds convincing to me. Actually I think Bush is power hungry. He is probably bi and doesn't appear to have any real morals. He says whatever is politicaly advantageous to him at the moment.

17. Onslow

Gold Member

Junior a Queer? Not even on a bad day, thank the merciful heavens! Always sad though that neither his brother Jeb nor his dad are prancers (for some reason Jeb just makes me feel all warm and bubbly as did their daddy George The First back when he was President).

Nope, Junior is, as far as I can tell, straight as can be (if only out of fear). This means you heteros get to keep him for all sexual escapades. Enjoy!

18. taven

taven Member

Queer? No, more like asexual. Personally I think he looks like an expulsitory shpncter looking for his butt cheeks. The difference is a sphincter serves a useful purpose.

Draft saved Draft deleted