Gay Sex, Did Your Parents Have A Talk With You About It?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by cocktaste, Oct 30, 2010.

1. cocktaste

Gold Member

That other thread about dads having a talk with their sons about sex got me thinking, for the gays on the board, did anyone sit you down and discuss gay sex? I mean, I don't think straight parents would know too much about it. Did anyone give you any advice? Or did you learn everything from the internet? Curious.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Internet? When I came out there was no such thing. I went into a gay bar in Honolulu and had on the job training.

3. lvsxy808

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh dear go no. That's unthinkable. And I think I would have died of embarrassment if they had tried.

4. maxcok

Gold Member

No, I sat them down and discussed it, but I skipped all the cocksucking and buttfucky stuff.

5. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I'm largely straight and a girl, so maybe mine isn't the perspective you're looking for, but I'll give it a go anyway.

My mum never really gave me a sex talk that included details - she gave me a book and told me to come back if I had anymore questions - but when we did talk, she made sure that it was clear that if I found I was attracted to women, rather than men, that was OK with her. She did the same with my brother and sister. So long before I had sex with anyone, I knew my mum would accept and embrace my orientation, whatever it turned out to be. But there were never any details given, of any kind of sex.

6. erratic

Gold Member

If leaving gay-related safer sex pamphlets around "by accident" counts as a conversation, then yes. And I love them for it. ...no matter how embarrassing it was...

7. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    My folks didn't let me in on the idea of gay sex. There were no real homosexuals in my mom's pristine perfect world, they were all "perrenial batchelors" (yeah, even the 2 men living in the house backing ours). Dad didn't speak about sex much other than saying it was what 2 people did in the privacy of their home and he gave me a few general talks and even indicated that there were men that weren't be interested in women and a few even liked men. He never said gay and definitely didn't say bisexual. When I tried explaining bisexuality, he was clearly lost & finally just shrugged and asked me if I was happy. When I said I was, he smled and that was the end of it. He and his 2nd wife welcomed all my partners male and female and made them feel at home.

8. durbantom

durbantom Active Member

Albums:
    Catholic priests give advice on hetrosexual matters, even though they are not supposed to have actual firsthand experience.

From some of the pressure from the press on some parishes, it might seem that some priests might be qualified to "Have the talk " with "non hetro" people who need advice.

9. D_Evita_Zane

D_Evita_Zane New Member

Kinda the opposite for me haha. They didn't know and I kinda had to explain it to them haha (not in too much detail though).

10. jump_start

jump_start Member

Albums:
    In short, no. Instead, we learned by listening to many of my dad's tirades on the shame and economic decay that fags and dykes were bringing about in this country.

My parents never gave me any kind of sex talk, just some terrible sex ed classes. My dad constantly verbally bashed any/all things gay while growing up, so all of us kids had a healthy fear of any kind of homosexuality. Imagine the horror I felt when I finally figured out I was gay. Jesus...

They (my parents) still think that all gay men will eventually develop AIDS whether they have sex or not. The ignorance never ends with them...

11. ericbythebay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We never had a gay sex talk, my husband and I had already been together for three years when I came out to my parents. All they said was " be careful and don't get AIDS."

12. lvsxy808

Gold Member

Albums:
    While it's obviously a horrible experience for the child in question, I sometimes wonder if placing gay children with homophobic parents is fate's way of giving those parents a kick in their assholery. Because it does seem to happen inordinately often.

13. jump_start

jump_start Member

Albums:
    You know, I think you may be right.

14. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

It was never mentioned, even though my dad's uncle (who died about ten years ago) was gay.

15. catman

Gold Member

My dad simply said (with a smile) "when you grab a rope you have to swing both ways...." and left it at that.

I actually used the same phrase when I had 'the talk' with my sons. I also told them being 'big' means being responsible. period, (and if you get ANYONE pregnant you will be disowned (not really)... but never hurts..

16. Barry7680

Barry7680 Member

As a bisexual man, I had the talk with my sons explaining my particular orientation. I didn't give details or diagrams, I told them that I would answer any questions, regardless how embarassing. To be honest they really didn't want to think that their father was sexually active with anyone

Over the years, each had questions to ask. One son had short lived gay relationship, in which, he figured out he was hetero, despite the fondness he felt for the other guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted