gay:straight ratio on these boards

wongdongy: I have always considered myself part of the majority of guys because I am straight. However it seems that on these boards there are almost just as many gay men as straight men. It makes me curious as to if the whole 1 in 10 thing is anywhere near accurate, or as to if maybe there is a correlation between being well endowed and your sexual preference.

Hopefully I'm not stirring up controversy, it's just something I noticed.

Donk: For the record, I am straight.

I don't think you can draw grand conclusions about the statistical sexual preferences of human beings by the perceived ratio of participation on an internet site devoted to the penis. I'm no scientist, but I'm sure most would agree that this is hardly a scientific sample. While obviously many of us straight guys are interested in the penis-related issues on this board, it is not surprising if a high proportion of homosexual males are attracted by those issues. After all, a gay male relationship involves twice as many penises as your average heterosexual relationship.

digibacker: Donk pretty much hit the nail on the head. A board about large penises is guaranteed to draw a disproportionate number of gay men versus straight. Also look at the stats -- there are over 12,000 members here, but only a select few seem to post on a regular basis. I'd say that a large majority of the "lurkers" out there are gay.

(I'm gay so this is an opinion from the inside.)

As an anecdote to the "1 in 10" thing... it's still highly debated. Many "gay is wrong" groups try to push that number down to around 1 in 4. But from my own quirky experience, I found that 1 in 10 may be right. I used to work at a company with 35 employees. While I was there I thought I was the only gay guy in the company (I was closetted), though one other guy was a bit suspicious (I never tried to find out). After I switched jobs, I found out a different, former co-worker was gay, along with someone else he knew of. And we were all suspicious of the first guy I mentioned. Kinda adds up to 3.5 out of 35. ;)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=digibacker link=board=meetgreet;num=1054023431;start=0#3 date=05/29/03 at 13:52:23] Many "gay is wrong" groups try to push that number down to around 1 in 4. [/quote]

Saying that 25% of men are gay as opposed to 10% .. would you really call that pushing the number down? I would think that claiming homosexuality is more than twice as prevalent as the generally accepted percentage would make it harder to present the view "gay is wrong" if it were really that common!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Okay, then: 10% of the population is between 4 and 6 on the Kinsey scale. (0=completely straight, 6=completely gay, 3=even bi.) Hence the 10%.

Of course, there's so much more than gender. There's what you'll do, and who with, too.

like_a_UB_Bull: I learned in my psych class that it's about 2-3%. It was actually presented to us as a true or false question, I figured false because I had heard 1 in 10. He made a point to dismiss the "1 in 10" theory, though I forget on what grounds.

p.s. Thought I'd mention I'm straight, since I don't post much.

digibacker: [quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=meetgreet;num=1054023431;start=0#4 date=05/29/03 at 15:31:54]
Saying that 25% of men are gay as opposed to 10% .. would you really call that pushing the number down?
[/quote]

Egads, I'm such a twit. :p Thanks DMW... I meant 4% instead of 10%, so that would be 1 in 25 instead of 1 in 10.

(Can't believe I did that...)

ORCABOMBER: Personally being straight (usually ::) ) ,I don't feel that there's a problem as such with the gay or bi members of the board being here, heck you could argue that in reverse; "get the straight bastards out"!

As for the ratio, I never even really noticed y'know, it's not something I pay too much attention to.