Gay student speaks up to defend a teacher

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

With all of the news surrounding the bullying of gay people in schools, I found this story to be interesting:

Jay McDowell, a high school teacher in Howell, Michigan, was suspended last month for disciplining an anti-gay student. At a recent school board meeting, openly gay 14-year-old Graeme Taylor came to McDowell's defense with an incredibly articulate/inspiring speech.

Perhaps there's hope for gay youth out there? Hopefully more of them realize that they have very right to speak up on matters as well.

#1 B_VinylBoy, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  2. greengrass_89

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    WOW! Very brave and confident kid. I wish I was half that brave at his age or even now at 21. The gay bullying that is going on these days is really an abomination. Why is it so hard to accept people for who they really are? We all need to look at people as equals. Form relationships with people because of what we have in common, not separate and segregate because of how we differ. He hit the nail on the head. Who we love is our business. And if we are fortunate enough to find someone to love who loves us back, who can honestly turn their back on that? Who can honestly look at love and say it isn't right?

3. davidjh7

Gold Member

I truly feel there is hope for the future. Every generation is less screwed up about the issue than the last. Eventually, the haters will become the minority, and most people just won't care one way or the other, unless an issue directly affects their lives. Some old, bad ideas persist, but the worse eventually die out with the originators. I doubt I will live to see that day, but I truly see it coming. I wish I could convince todays gay youth how far we have come, in just my lifetime. I have seen it go from the most reviled not to be talked about evil disease, to pretty close to mainstream acceptance, in just 40 years. Those that are the strongest haters are my age or older, and those in my and the previous generation will eventually leave this earth, and take their vitriol with them. I just hope those kids on the edge can realize that, and hang on.

#3 davidjh7, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I think I may have broken an TOS without even thinking about it. Yikes! :frown1:

5. luka82

Gold Member

I believe you will be OK.
    The idea of this thread is fantastic.
    But shit happens.

6. greengrass_89

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm confused.....

7. noirman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have a lump in my throat. That young man is amazingly articulate and intelligent.

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I removed the link, if you have a story without video or images please feel free to add it.

9. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    That was incredibly moving. It brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing young man!

I can't find any links that don't have a photo or a video. Can we post text from articles?

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Sure thing. :wink:
    There's not a lot of stories online I can readily link to since a lot of them have the video that features the 14 year old kid. But this is some of the additional text I could come up with:

From Yahoo News: Graeme Taylor told the Howell, Mich., school board last week that he attempted suicide at age 9 because he was bullied for being gay. He was speaking on behalf of Howell High teacher Jay McDowell, who had been suspended for two days for asking a student to remove her Confederate flag belt buckle and for ejecting two students from class after a heated exchange about gay rights.

From The Advocate: Graeme Taylor opened his speech last Monday by telling school board members that their town, Howell, Mich., is known for Ku Klux Klan activity — something the board members deny. He made the case that the town will become known for being hateful as opposed to fostering dialogue and tolerance. Taylor, who lives in neighboring Ann Arbor, urged the school board to reverse the suspension of teacher Jay McDowell and grant him his pay.

According to the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus, McDowell became involved in the controversy when explaining why he was wearing a purple shirt October 20 — an act of solidarity with gay teens who had been bullied, sometimes to the point that they committed suicide — and arguing with a student who was wearing a Confederate flag belt buckle. The exchange led to the ejection of two students.

"This teacher, whom I fully support, finally stood up and said something," Taylor said. "I've been in rooms — in classrooms — where children have said the worst things. The kinds of things that helped drive me to a suicide attempt at only 9 years old."

No words can really put into perspective what the video does. And practically any story online has the video attached to it. A simple Google search on this subject will bring it up. Hope this helps! :wink:

11. Speculator

Speculator New Member

The decision to suspend her was the right one imo, how dare she reprimand a student for expressing a political preference. It's a blatant abuse of her powers and shouldn't be tolerated in a learning environment, one where all ideas should be taken into consideration and evaluated based on their realative strengths and weaknesses.

Before you guys jump down my throat consider whether you think it's ok to discipline a student for expressing another viewpoint, lets say support for the removal of troops from Iraq.

I'm not expecting any consistency from you lot on this one btw, I know that you'll happily support classroom chastisement when individuals express views that you disagree with but perform a 180 when students echo your own biggoted opinions.

#11 Speculator, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.
    Have you been to a school in recent memory? If you haven't figured it out, teachers are a form of authority within those walls. They have every right to protect the well being of other students... in fact, IT'S THEIR JOB.

First you thought that the AIDS Crisis was a scam. Then you "proudly" beat your chest in a different thread and said the n-word (while ignorantly trying to walk the shoes of a minority and dictate how they should feel). Now this. I'm tired of folks like you worrying more about the rights of bigots to speak their mind, than the rights of their victims to equal protection and a safe environment. Your blinded loyalty to supposed "freedom of speech" without any supposition to everyday common sense is so warped that it's laughable.

13. Speculator

Speculator New Member

Could you please stop throwing around wild accuations like this, I havn't mentioned anything about aids since joining this board, I'm not the least bit interested in the matter.

I'll be waiting for my apology.

Btw it's ironic that you throw the idea of free speech in my face at every opportunity but then go on to break the very prinicples you claim to abide by. But I'm sure this point is totally lost on you.

#13 Speculator, Nov 16, 2010
  14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I got you "confused" with another ideological thinker who mysteriously joined this board recently and somehow has the same exact viewpoints as you. And the word "confused" is in quotes for a reason, but I digress. So if you want an apology about that, you got it. However, that doesn't excuse you from your newest bout of ideological insensitivity. Nobody's freedom of speech is being infringed on by any sense of the word here. Everyone got to say their part, and actions were taken based on what was said.

Freedom of speech does not come with a freedom of reprimand. If you want to offend people, then be prepared to pay the consequences. Period.

15. Speculator

Speculator New Member

Just as I suspected. You support freedom of speech when you're lashing out at those you disagree with (in your mind it's ok to openly accuse me of things I havn't done, I'm only a righty afterall), but when you're on the receiving end all of a sudden you go off the idea: free speech must be sacrificed to protect the vulnerable.

If the teacher in question had been suspended for disciplining a kid that supported gay rights we wouldn't hear a peep out of you, in fact you'd probably rally behind the suspension!

It's total, unequivocal hypocrisy.

16. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

I agree to a point, but from what i can understand - and i am speaking under correction - the student that was reprimanded by said teacher was victimizing a fellow classmate because of sexual preference and not in fact expressing an opinion.
    However, (and this is where i might start stereotyping quite negatively) do you really believe that a high school student wearing a 'confederate belt' would really be tolerant of "all 'dem queer folk and faggots"?
    "Shucks, heck naw! It can't be..."

#16 curioustitan, Nov 16, 2010
  17. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Hate speech and bullying do not constitute a political view, and no civilised society would allow hate speech and bullying to shelter within the protections of freedom of speech.

The young man in this story is a rare and brave person and that school is beneath contempt for having treated the teacher who stood up for rights of pupils to be treated as equal human beings free from persecution for their sexuality in this fashion.

Young people kill themselves all the time, and everywhere because they suffer sustained and vicious persecution from their peers and others and not just because of their sexuality, anyone prepared to stand against this pernicious evil is a hero.

18. Speculator

Speculator New Member

There's no such thing as "hate speech", there's just opinions that you disagree with and words you don't like.

So let's rephrase your statement to eliminate the propaganda and make it more accurate: "People have certain outlooks that I disagree with and instead of promoting an environment where everyone can have their say I would prefer it if the state just threatened those people with violence".

This is a selfish and spiteful way of dealing with the world.

19. luka82

Gold Member

LOL
    Give me a fucking break.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Bullshit. I never once said that you didn't have a right to say what you want. If you didn't have that right, then your words would have been immediately censored by authorities without anyone here being able to read them. But has that happened? No.

What you want is the freedom to say whatever you wish (regardless of whom it offends), and not be called on it if it does offend people. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. That would impede on other people's freedom of speech and you're supposed to be the sworn protector of that right, remember? If someone is offended by what you say, they're allowed to say what they want in response. And yes, they can do it in a way that offends you too. It doesn't end when you decide to place a period at the end of a sentence. :rolleyes:

Schools and other publicly accessible institutions that are funded by a government enforce a set of rules to ensure the safety of the people who enter it. A person's physical safety and well being is not TRUMPED by your need to say n***er when a black man upsets you. Because of this, they are required to take action when they feel it's necessary. We can disagree on whether or not the teacher should have been suspended, but don't sit here and give me this bullshit about me trying to impede on your right to say stupid shit. That argument is vehemently deceitful & disingenuous.

So go ahead. Offend me with your beliefs. I'm gonna get right back in your face and return the favor. I'm no authority around here so I won't prevent you from saying it either. But if someone else does, then that's on you.

No... it's an ignorant accusation made by a bigot who thinks I'm just picking on him because he's a "righty". Sometimes, whether or not you're a liberal or a conservative are not factors as to what is right or wrong. Put your partisan hackery aside and realize the folly in your assessments.

#20 B_VinylBoy, Nov 16, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted