Gays and musicals

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

TripodMillenium: Well.... I couldn't tell ya....

I like plays and maybe opera..... but general musicals aren't really my thing

2. TallHungLB

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    First off the gays liking musical thing is very stereotypical. I'm sure if a true poll were taken those liking musicals would probably be split pretty even between gays and str8's.

Now with that said I'd think that gay men are (stereotypically) more creative and musicals tie into that creativity.

3. txquis

Gold Member

I'm gay,
    and I like musicals...and opera, and theater...
    that is what i took my degree in, and what my profession was
    for 5 years.
    But do all my gay friends enjoy it?
    Nah.
    In fact, the biggest musical theater fans i know personally happen
    to be straight.

Still,I dont know why some gay people like musicals...
    or the theater in general.
    Perhaps it evolved from some need for escape or
    release from the closeted era of most of the 20th century.
    It certainly seems like some of us gay ones are creative,
    talented, etc...but again,
    so are straight people

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Maybe it's an indicator of future lifestyle when, as toddlers, they learn to count thusly:

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight" *while snapping fingers and dancing*

:rolleyes:

5. txquis

Gold Member

You are right, Pecker!

I wanted to be a VonTrapp Family child so that Julie Andrews
    would teach me to sing.
    My little sailor suit gets me lots of action, too, btw.
    LOL

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

:lol:

7. jonb

Gold Member

I think a lot of it involves conflating sexual orientation and gender, and musical theater of course is very feminine.

Or it might have to do with a conflating the two meanings of gay; I have yet to see a musical tragedy.

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

I've always found higher numbers of gay people in the arts- musicians, actors, artists, etc. I tend to think of gay people as (generally) more creative and open-minded thinkers. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of straight people who are brilliant artists and the like, but the numbers of gays in the creative fields seems to be higher than in the general population. Here's a theory, perhaps being in a situation where one's lifestyle is under such scrutiny causes one to be more introspective in dealing with other things that come up in life. Also, when I meet gay people, I know they were more likely to have been in theatre in either high school or college (if not both) and are probably more into it. Usually a fun thing to strike up a conversation about.

Me, although str8, I was in theatre in high school and college, as well as choir, swing choir, chamber choir, solo and ensemble. Took ballet for nine years, oh what a gay man I'd have made!

9. Imported

Gold Member

OneEyedCat:
    I've always been into theater and music. I was one of the leads in Huck Finn as a kid and proceeded from there. My last attempt was an audition for GREASE at a conservatory. I did well in terms of acting and singing, but I just could not dance lol. I played sax in high school, sang in a few local bands, was in a few photo montages etc. I would guess by percentage that there are more gays involved in theater (particularly at the professional level) A few of us breeders can spread our wings too, however. To me, it is simply an exploration into the psyche. I wish I had taken ballet hehe. I suppose my eccentricities helped attract me to performance. I'm stone straight tho too. I have been fortunate to have made a lot of gay friends in such endeavors.

OEC

10. intheloop

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I got rhythm
    I got music
    I got my man
    Who could ask for anything more ?

I'm gay and I seriously don't know why I like musicals. I like opera too... I guess it's just the music and the rhythm and the drama and the fun and... yeah all that stuff combined.

Music is what I like the most and I like it in almost every genre and type :D

11. madame_zora

Gold Member

*joins in duet with Intheloop*

I got daisies in green pastures
    I got my man
    Who could ask for anything more?

12. txquis

Gold Member

Love the song, but
    I dont "got my man" right now though, I'm single.
    Would Gershwin mind if we changed it to "I got my MEN?" :)

13. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Should only gays or lesbians play gays or lesbians onstage?

Periodically we hear some huffing and puffing when a Caucasian is cast as an Asian or a Hispanic or a Black, etc.

Recently, Hugh Jackman's brilliant portrayal of Peter Allen in The Boy from Oz caused little or no grumbling from gay men who may have done as good or better in the part..

Is it because there is still a stigma such that producers fear it would keep the audience away?

14. EnglishMan

EnglishMan Well-Known Member

If you're single perhaps the lyric from THE MASTURBATION TANGO from a little known musical called TALLULAH DARLING! is more suitable.

MASTURBATION
    I CANNOT LEAVE MYSELF ALONE
    MASTURBATION
    I DRAW THE BLINDS AND START TO GROAN.
    I FEEL A STIRRING IN MY LOINS,
    OH DRAT IT!
    AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO'S AT IT?
    MASTURBATION.
    I EVEN DO IT ON THE PHONE!

15. txquis

Gold Member

ROTFL.

Yes, i've found myself single again, and now I have a song
    to go with my new hobby.
    :D

16. Onslow

Gold Member

I tend to only like them if they have a storyline to go with them which I can find somewhat interesting. I absolutely love Carousel (I even have the old records from both the original Broadway run and the movie) However some musicals are just not of interest to me. The same holds true in other genres as well. I enjoy some old westerns (maybe it's my Gabby Hayes crush that I never got over) others just leave me snoring. Furthering this thought, the same also applies to science fiction, romance storylines, comedies, etc. etc. I need some story which will grab my attention (or Sean Connery in almost anything but even he failed in Zardoz and that Darby O'Gill lunacy).
    One thing I can tell you is I myself am not particularly musical. I can listen to music and even identify most tunes howver I cannot sing or dance (who'd of thunk it an old queer who can't dance, where's the justice?). I used to struggle at playing the piano but the only people who seemed to like it were deaf. No, I just am not into music--sorry. I had a friend over one afternoon and he commented on the dead quiet and asked if I ever listened to music, sadly the c.d. player wasn't even plugged in but for his sake I obliged. In all fairness I do listen to music occasionlly but I can go weeks even months without giving it a thought. Am I turning un-gay?

Gee, now I'm going to have to wonder if I really am a queer. First I have that Republican voting thing and now a lack of love for musicals. Let me think... well I still like men, naked and burly men, hairy men, barrel chested men, breathing men, short men, tall men, (the list goes on and on) so I guess I'm queer for now but I will have to work on that musical thingy. Ever see a guy with only 1 leg dance? It ain't pretty.

17. txquis

Gold Member

Until the 1960's, the musical was a part of mainstream culture,
    not aimed at gays, but at everyone.
    Even the writers/creators were primarily straight and primarily Jewish (Cole Porter
    excepted on both counts).
    Songs from musicals were part of the "hit parade",
    and big sellers, right up to the time of the Beatles.

Even today, the main numbers in the audience of a musical
    are families...not a sea of homosexuals.

So, just when did this feminine/gay thing come into it? hmmmmmmm. :huh:

18. jonb

Gold Member

I didn't know someone could look gay. Does that involve wearing a mesh shirt?

As for huffing and puffing, I don't think the glitterati are even aware of it sometimes. ("How could those Indians be offended by OutKast's performance?")

19. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Of course I could post a lot in this thread, but I just don't have the energy. It would turn into a saga of epic proportions, and we wouldn't want that!

20. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well, DMW, if we can't hear the whole "saga", how about just the "sa" part. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted