Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
apparently they do. this guy (the mayor) appears to be delusional. The "only" thing he's sorry for is not being honest with his constituents? $67 at "Priape," and he thought it wouldn't go noticed? That's about the right price for a realistic dildo, which is possibly why he doesn't remember. lol. Nevertheless, the "high percentage" of gay politicians that "control" the Republican party? How the mayor of Mississippi's 3rd largest city (that's Mississippi, how big can it be?) is part of the control structure of the Republican party escapes me. And how the handful of politicians who have been outed, compared to the thousands of them that exist, count as a "high" percentage is interesting. I would expect that the percentage would be roughly equivalent to the percentage in the general population. If that's about ten percent, or whatever percent they're talking about these days, a fraction of that would hardly be considered high. I'm not sure we have even ten percent of the republicans in city hall of that "3rd largest" Mississippi town.

D_Jacqueline_Boozann

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, in the conservative so-called Bible Belt, he had to hide it. What? He was supposed to tell his constituents he was gay...some, would have voted for him because of his honesty, the rest, would have stoned him, just like they did Steven, presumably in the Bible. (I was not there to witness the stoning).

I admire Rep. Barney Franks (D-Mass) for his honesty and freshness: he probably at this point in his life...just does not give a damn. Can you blame him? He probably had to hide his sexuality since he was an adolescent in Boston's conservative, Catholic city.

Finally, when you become Rep. Frank's age, it is time to have fun, and his beautiful epitaph can read: "I did it my way!" -- Frank Sinatra.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He probably had to hide his sexuality since he was an adolescent in Boston's conservative, Catholic city.

You're right, Barney Frank is his own man and has had to endure indignities, including being called "Barney Fag" by a fellow congressmen.

He didn't reveal his sexual orientation until later in life, and also didn't grow up in Massachusetts (all you have to do is listen to him speak to know that; he's North Jersey all over). But yeah, Bayonne NJ was about 80% RC at the time.

The Republican Party has lots of gay men, despite its public stance on equality. During Reagan's first term I was dating a guy who worked in the White House and, judging from the hundreds of gay men he introduced me to at parties, there was quite a "Republican gay mafia" in DC at the time. I think things have only gotten worse for gays and lesbians in the Party in the past 30 years; the real loonies are are vying for control and openly associate with rabidly homophobic organizations.

Reactions: nando_monroe

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I give you that he is a Rep. but what does that have to do with your conclusion?

I believe the point of the report had to do with paying for personal items on the cities dollar and finally admitting he is gay.

Please substantiate your conclusion if you would or could.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I give you that he is a Rep. but what does that have to do with your conclusion?
I believe the point of the report had to do with paying for personal items on the cities dollar and finally admitting he is gay.
Please substantiate your conclusion if you would or could.

Given the fact that the Republican Party is officially anti-gay (see what is in its party platform and also what isn't in the party platform) and numerous GOP politicians are openly anti-gay (exhibit A: Rick Santorum, who seems to be obsessed with hating gay people and claiming that he doesn't hate anyone), the percentage of gay people who are Republicans should be about 0, and the percentage of Republicans who are gay should be about 0. Hey, gay Republicans, is it really worth it to be in a party that hates your life just so that you can be in a party that is supposedly strong on defense and against taxes? And, OK, my headline, "gays control the Republican Party," was an exaggeration; as I noted later, there merely seems to be a "high percentage" of gay Republicans, and my baseline was that I would expect close to zero. You want proof? How many names should I name (with former positions)?

Alabama Attorney General Troy King
Washington state legislator Richard Curtis
Young Republicans head Glenn Murphy Jr.
Congressman David Dreir
Cumberland County Commissioner Bruce Barclay
California State Senator Roy Ashburn
Spokane Mayor Jim West
U.S. Senator Larry Craig
Congressman Ed Schrock
Florida legislator Robert Allen
Congressman Mark Foley
Indiana legislator Phillip Hinkle
Santorum communications director Robert Traynham
Jeff Gannon, conservative "journalist"
Utah legislator Brent Parker
SE Legal Foundation (helped with Clinton impeachment) Matthew Glavin
McCarthy crony Roy Cohn
Congressman Robert Bauman
J. Edgar Hoover

This list is just the low-hanging fruit of closet cases that resulted in scandals (memo: it is possible to be an out gay Republican and NOT cause a scandal; someone should try it sometime), although with Hoover it was more like a scandal-ette, and primarily after he was dead. There are a bunch of other gay Republican politicians, in fact, they seem to be emerging at a rate about one a month this year (and I left out almost all of this year's crop).

I also left out the dozens of Republican politicians who have admitted to, or been convicted of, being same-sex (or equal opportunity) pedophiles, because while a few of them might also be gay, odds are most are not gay, just pedophiles.

Last edited:

Redwyvre

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, okay, but this is a free country and guys can tweak their percentages however they see fit. Besides some guys set a good example of how not to be. For example, years ago I saw a portrait of the late Roy Cohen by Robert Mapplethorp and I decided shortly afterwards that I didn't want to be anything like that person.

Last edited:

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Given the fact that the Republican Party is officially anti-gay (see what is in its party platform and also what isn't in the party platform) and numerous GOP politicians are openly anti-gay (exhibit A: Rick Santorum, who seems to be obsessed with hating gay people and claiming that he doesn't hate anyone), the percentage of gay people who are Republicans should be about 0, and the percentage of Republicans who are gay should be about 0. Hey, gay Republicans, is it really worth it to be in a party that hates your life just so that you can be in a party that is supposedly strong on defense and against taxes? And, OK, my headline, "gays control the Republican Party," was an exaggeration; as I noted later, there merely seems to be a "high percentage" of gay Republicans, and my baseline was that I would expect close to zero. You want proof? How many names should I name (with former positions)?

Alabama Attorney General Troy King
Washington state legislator Richard Curtis
Young Republicans head Glenn Murphy Jr.
Congressman David Dreir
Cumberland County Commissioner Bruce Barclay
California State Senator Roy Ashburn
Spokane Mayor Jim West
U.S. Senator Larry Craig
Congressman Ed Schrock
Florida legislator Robert Allen
Congressman Mark Foley
Indiana legislator Phillip Hinkle
Santorum communications director Robert Traynham
Jeff Gannon, conservative "journalist"
Utah legislator Brent Parker
SE Legal Foundation (helped with Clinton impeachment) Matthew Glavin
McCarthy crony Roy Cohn
Congressman Robert Bauman
J. Edgar Hoover

This list is just the low-hanging fruit of closet cases that resulted in scandals (memo: it is possible to be an out gay Republican and NOT cause a scandal; someone should try it sometime), although with Hoover it was more like a scandal-ette, and primarily after he was dead. There are a bunch of other gay Republican politicians, in fact, they seem to be emerging at a rate about one a month this year (and I left out almost all of this year's crop).

I also left out the dozens of Republican politicians who have admitted to, or been convicted of, being same-sex (or equal opportunity) pedophiles, because while a few of them might also be gay, odds are most are not gay, just pedophiles.
So your stance is if you don't agree with every position of a given party then you should not associate with that party. That would be a tough thing to do.

Also, the point that only gay Rep. don't come out I find hard to believe. I don't think the party that someone is associated with determines if they choose to tell the world of the sexual orientation.

I will leave that last paragraph alone.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So your stance is if you don't agree with every position of a given party then you should not associate with that party. That would be a tough thing to do.

That would be a tough thing to do, I agree. But belonging to a party that seems to hate who gays are, seems to hate the fact that gays even exist, is a lot different than not agreeing with your political party over, say, what foreign policy should be toward Luxembourg, or whether the top marginal tax rate should be 33% or 35%. Silly me, as I'm assuming that one's gayness is not a trivial or irrelevant part of who they are.

LuciferChild

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
why stupid people have to mix politics with homossexuality? what one thing has to do with another? why dont u think about how many straight went to power all this years and now look where we going to.

GoldenBoyTO

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The shop that that gay Republican mayor bought all that stuff is exactly 1.5 blocks from where I live up here in Toronto! We're famous now cause we made CNN LOL

kayman

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hmmm, not much of a surprise to me. The South is home to plenty of guys whom subscribe to so-called socially conservative values, but are 'out there' having casual sex with other males while married or condemning others for being themselves.

It's quite ignorant to condemn a homosexual or bisexual for being a Republican, but it is equally as ignorant for that said group for being a Republican for 'low taxes, small government' mantra when they are against social equality of being openly LGBT.