Gays in the Military

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
General Hillier, A Canadian General said it perfectly.

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."

punk09

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
The Congress funds the military, theoretically can declare war, and passes laws defining how the military conducts itself. The President is subject to those laws and by extension so is the military.

The Judiciary has a say over how the military functions.

The Secretary of Defense is not a potted plant.

The military is a creature of civilian government.

The military only exists to the extent that civilians are willing to fund it and the service it provides civilians is security.

There is only one civilian in my chain if command, and that is the Commander in Chief. Other than that my oath states I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic, it says nothing about being a public service.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Doesn't the civilian judiciary usually defer to the military (perhaps recent decisions regarding terrorist suspects notwithstanding, which is a whole new thicket)?

Have you heard of the Uniform Code of Military Justice? The military has a separate judicial system.

Also, I don't think all of the Constitutional rights afforded a citizen are fully guaranteed to those in a military environment.

punk09

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
When the military "goes off the reservation" in the conduct of their duty with respect to statute law, Federal courts have jurisdiction. As you point out, torture, military commissions, indefinite detentions and the like are adjudicated in Federal Court.

The military does have an internal justice system, but that does not exempt it as an arm of the executive branch from judicial review.

I am not certain, but I'd imagine that there is some level of civilian review of military justice under certain circumstances to ensure that proceedings conform to constitutional and statutory standards.

At the end of the day, the military only exists because civilians pay for it and have control over it. Most service members get this. Some don't, and they skate on the edge of insubordination when they go there.

Doesn't the civilian judiciary usually defer to the military (perhaps recent decisions regarding terrorist suspects notwithstanding, which is a whole new thicket)?

Have you heard of the Uniform Code of Military Justice? The military has a separate judicial system.

Also, I don't think all of the Constitutional rights afforded a citizen are fully guaranteed to those in a military environment.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't want to give the impression that I have any personal problem whatsoever with civilian control of the military.

At the end of the day, the military only exists because civilians pay for it and have control over it. Most service members get this. Some don't, and they skate on the edge of insubordination when they go there.

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Congress funds the military, theoretically can declare war, and passes laws defining how the military conducts itself. The President is subject to those laws and by extension so is the military.

The Secretary of Defense is not a potted plant.

The military is a creature of civilian government.

The military only exists to the extent that civilians are willing to fund it and the service it provides civilians is security.

However, the only civilian I am authorized, even by congress, to take orders from is the President of the United States, no other.

Oh, and don't think for a second the military exists because civilians are gracious enough to let it exist.

punk09

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
However, the only civilian I am authorized, even by congress, to take orders from is the President of the United States, no other.

Oh, and don't think for a second the military exists because civilians are gracious enough to let it exist.

When you agree to obey all lawful orders, you agree to obey all orders that have pass civilian muster. You answer to civilians.

Are you suggesting that if the civilian authorities exercised their constitutional powers to downsize the US Military to a $50b per year purely homeland defense operation, that those lawful orders would not be followed?

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you agree to obey all lawful orders, you agree to obey all orders that have pass civilian muster. You answer to civilians.

Are you suggesting that if the civilian authorities exercised their constitutional powers to downsize the US Military to a $50b per year purely homeland defense operation, that those lawful orders would not be followed?

The fact of the matter is that they wouldn't. Nor is that an order. You really have no idea how the government works does it?

Congress holds the purse strings, they pass laws, the Executive executes. If they President says NO, the military does not do it.

The ONLY civilian who has any control over the military is the President. So no, I do not answer to civilians, I answer to the President.

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

punk09

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The president delegates authority to the civilian leadership at the Pentagon. Service members answer to many more civilians than the President, all of whom answer to the President who shares power with the Congress and Judiciary over how government, the military included, runs.

Elections could put into power elected officials who could legally reform the military in ways that would make gays in the military look like integration in 1948.

And if the President did not faithfully execute Congress' laws with respect to anything, the military included, federal Judges could compel the President to follow the law or the Congress could impeach the President. Likely? No, but that's how the system works, checks and balances need not be enforceable to be effective although it helps.

There is no such thing as the unitary executive, you take your orders that originate exclusively from a civilian political process.

shadow28

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I'm in the Canadian military - Navy (no jokes please) - and this is really a non-issue. A country's military is a reflection of its society, and we are way ahead of the US on this. There is no DADT - it's if you're gay, you're gay and no one gives a shit.

OK, so no one wants to come out during boot camp, but that's the same as in any group situation right off the bat - you get to know your peers, then very quickly realize that no one cares. They care whether or not you're a shitpump, whether or not you will have their back during the next operation... they do not care what goes on in your bedroom.

I think that the US military is way behind the social trends, way behind the US population in general on this issue, and everyone knows it, but all the big four-star generals and even the commander-in-chief himself seem to be lacking the tiniest bit of courage required to change all this DADT bullshit... why?

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm in the Canadian military - Navy (no jokes please) - and this is really a non-issue. A country's military is a reflection of its society, and we are way ahead of the US on this. There is no DADT - it's if you're gay, you're gay and no one gives a shit.

OK, so no one wants to come out during boot camp, but that's the same as in any group situation right off the bat - you get to know your peers, then very quickly realize that no one cares. They care whether or not you're a shitpump, whether or not you will have their back during the next operation... they do not care what goes on in your bedroom.

I think that the US military is way behind the social trends, way behind the US population in general on this issue, and everyone knows it, but all the big four-star generals and even the commander-in-chief himself seem to be lacking the tiniest bit of courage required to change all this DADT bullshit... why?

Its not that Canada is "ahead" in anything. The military is NOT a progressive movement and should never be treated as one.

It isn't that people don't want to 'accept' gays or are scared of them. In fact, it has very little to do with that. Which is what people really need to understand. The law does not ban gays from serving in the Military. It only bans them from serving openly. And reasoning is very similar to the reasoning against integrating females. You put people who are sexually attracted to each other in close quarters and you will only develop problems.

Because whether someone is straight, gay, black, white, male female, it would be naive to think a 19 year old from any of those categories would be capable of supressing any of the sexual urges they have.

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Once again, that is the a strawman argument.

It's actually "straw man," (two words) and no, mine is not a straw man argument. You essentially equated homosexuality with diseases and maladies.

The fact that you refuse to recognize the consequences of your own actions isn't anyone's fault but yours.

Again, you're only 22. There's so much in life left to learn for all of us.

punk09

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
What part of "lawful orders" do these people not get? Where do these laws spring from, the minds of commanders? No, laws are passed by a civilian congress, signed by a civilian president and evaluated for constitutional legitimacy by a civilian judiciary. The money to fund the military is paid for by civilians in taxes.

What part of "I'm not going to fund anything over which I have no control" are these jingoists missing?

When congress passes and the President signs overturning the ban on gays in the military, there will be only one response from the military: "YES SIR!"

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
What part of "lawful orders" do these people not get? Where do these laws spring from, the minds of commanders? No, laws are passed by a civilian congress, signed by a civilian president and evaluated for constitutional legitimacy by a civilian judiciary. The money to fund the military is paid for by civilians in taxes.

What part of "I'm not going to fund anything over which I have no control" are these jingoists missing?

When congress passes and the President signs overturning the ban on gays in the military, there will be only one response from the military: "YES SIR!"

Amen. :240:

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's actually "straw man," (two words) and no, mine is not a straw man argument. You essentially equated homosexuality with diseases and maladies.

The fact that you refuse to recognize the consequences of your own actions isn't anyone's fault but yours.

Again, you're only 22. There's so much in life left to learn for all of us.

And that would be a Red Herring.

And no, I did not equate them. You attempted to create a Straw Man argument by taking what I said and attempting to use an extreme example. When in fact I said nothing of the sort.

Go to school. Learn something. Come back.

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Lawful Orders - General orders or regulations are those orders or regulations generally applicable to an armed force which are properly published by the President or the Secretary of Defense, of Transportation, or of a military department, and those orders or regulations generally applicable to the command of the officer issuing them throughout the command or a particular subdivision.

That is straight from the UCMJ. Notice no where in there is civilian or Congress mentioned. Only the President and a few Cabinet positions, but only in certain circumstances.

And yes, if the President says we must do it. We will do it. However it will be a BAD thing.

B_Jingoist

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If the lawful order was to take your platoon leaders' hard dick up your ass, you'd lube up that poop chute of yours, bend over and answer that one with "YES SIR!" as well and be thankful that you get to walk away alive.

No. That is not a lawful order.

Playinpitt

Legendary Member
Media
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Allright, I usually steer clear of these political flame-bait posts on LPSG. I come here to see, meet, read about and enjoy big cocks and the men that are fortunate enough to wield them, not talk politics. Even though most politicians ARE big dicks, it doesn't mean they *have* big dicks. That being said, despite my inherent distaste for the "excessive bias" that is a defining quality of Jingoism, which is the source of his handle, I actually think Jingoist is giving himself unwarranted bad press.

Buried in his posts are lots of statements that actually show him to be an ally socially, just resistant to a change within his military construct. And as far as that goes, that's actually kind of okay.. In many ways a good military is a conservative, slow to change military.. Nations get into trouble with aggressive militaries that go over-reaching and try to initiate social change on their populations. e.g. Soviet reformation, Pol Pot, North Korea. A healthy nation is IMHO better served by a military that is inertia laden and unlikely to change at the drop of a hat or a change in the wind.

That said, since much of this thread seems to be throwing rhetorical mud at his wall of opinions I thought I would address some of his statements with knowledge.

1) the only civilian the military answers to is the one in the chain of command.
On the surface he is correct. Beyond budgetary allotments the remainder of the civilian government has precious little control over the military. However where he is wrong is that the ONLY civilian in his chain of command is NOT the President. There are many civilians in the chain of command from the civilian statisticians, planners and administrators in the State Department and the Pentagon that issue instructions and commands down stream that become orders (lawful or not, is another matter). That is how Wolfowitz, Feith and crew were able to architect and implement the invasion of Iraq. That one is simple. However it is also incumbent on that civilian government to encourage and goad that military establishment to grow, improve and adapt.

2) Militaries that incorporate open homosexuals in the ranks are less effective / give him an example of a military that does so that is as effective/lethal/powerful/ etc as the USA military is now without that complication...

Israel.

They not only allow openly gay members and WOMEN! in all roles including combat, they are granted equal benefits and support infrastructure, including housing and survivor's benefits. With no disrespect to our Military, who I honor, respect and support, if the Israeli military were scaled up to the USA's size and budget, they'd kick our ass. If you include their dark ops and special forces they are the deadliest, most effective, most disciplined and ready military force in the world, bar-none. And they admit ALL comers, all faiths, all genders all orientations and all philosophies. If you want to serve and protect Israel and you are a muslim, they will take you and find a useful role for you. They're my ace in the hole. No one with any real military experience and knowledge can refute that. However I would add the Australian, British and Canadian forces are also top notch and again scaled to our size and budget would compare very favorably to ours. The simple fact is we spend more on our military than any other nation in the world. Seven times more than China (#2) and 10 -20 times more than any of the other western cultures. It is that budgetary investment on our part and reduction on other nation's parts that has more impact on "effectiveness" than any inclusion or segregation of potential candidates. Sorry, that is fact.

3) the ancient ephebophile traditions in Greece, Crete, Persia, Rome etc were abusive dominance based relationships. While he is right that the receptor was typically the younger male and it was considered shameful for the older male to be receptive in these cultures, it does not extend that a) it was shameful for the younger males nor b) the relationships were abusive, borderline on rape. It was an honored and expected role. The erastes-eromenos relationship was a crucial social construct and a lifelong bond where the older was a sponsor and a patron of the younger helping and guiding him throughout his life even long after their sexual relationships may have ended or modified after the younger's marriage (usually @ 30). So no.. it was NOT a "prison-bitch" situation. In fact it was the heterosexual marriage that had more of that stigma where the bride was abducted, her head shaved and dressed as a man on the wedding night and it was considered unseemly amongst the Spartans for a man to spend too much time with his wife.. Often he would have to sneak out of the military compounds to go see her even if his goal was simply creating heirs. The inherent heteronormative / homo-denying academic culture of the past 100 - 400 years has done a lot to "straight-wash" this and "clean it up" to shore up the current heteronormative dominant social mores.. but the historical sources and archaeological facts are clear.

But this does open an interesting line of thought in that it is true: in many modern Islamic cultures, due to strict gender segregation, boys are for pleasure, women for babies. But that is actually a closer construct to the current military policy. i.e. "fuck all the guys you want, just keep it quiet, don't fall in love with them and marry a woman eventually and make babies".

In a nutshell, that third point along with the refutation of his first stance is why the policy is dangerous for America's military readiness and should be changed.

1) Forcing an honorable soldier (used to include all branches, not to disrespect the Marines, Navy, Coast Guard or Air Force) to *lie* in order to serve is a paradoxical implementation of Military honor.

2) to deny those same honorable and dedicated Soldiers the same benefits and opportunities given to others they serve with is wrong and disincents service by the best candidates. As it stands foreign nationals in our military have more rights, benefits and protections than gay/lesbian citizens serving (didn't know that non-us citizens could serve in our military? well it's true, not only can they, they are a sizable percentage of active duty ranks). The spouses of Guatemalan, El Salvadoran, Brazilian, etc Soldiers get survivor's benefits and immigration assistance as well as deployment support and housing allowances. My military buddies who have died in Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa had the final post-humous indignity of having their boyfriends/girlfriend denied counseling, support and assistance and in at least one case turned away from base when trying to collect his personal effects. This is disgusting and disgraceful. And this says nothing of the shortage of competent Arabic linguists we currently have because gay linguists have been discharged. That to me is the ultimate in STUPID POLICY IMPLEMENTATION. Who might have a better incentive to help battle a fundamentalist Islamist enemy than a gay arabic speaker?

Quite simply our Armed forces should and MUST want the best candidates in the proper roles and denying some of those candidates based on an innate characteristic, or forcing them to behave dishonorably (lie) and then further dis-incenting them by not rewarding or supporting them equally betrays and undermines that goal.

Oh, and I will sign off by answering Jingoist's inevitable (if unspoken) question of "Have you been in the military?" with my standard smart ass response:

"never more than one at a time." :smile:

But as I hinted at above, I have dated, been friends with, loved, been related to and supported many in my life and know quite a bit about the workings of the institution and its culture, thank you.