Gays Who Hate Gay Culture

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What's gay culture? What's American culture? What is hetrosexual culture? No one definition I'm afraid but the one I'm putting out for discussion is the gay sex-obsessed culture.

I would tend to put this into a sub-culture category. Though I agree with Lex that being sex-obsessed is a male thing.
In this day and age, I believe there is more of a diversity in the gay community and each person finds their own comfort zone.
If it's not for you, create your own.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
personally, i just wish gays could get along a little better with each other. stop expecting everyone to be like you. "he is effeminate...ew", or "he acts straight, he is trying to hide it". "that fat lesbian has a buzzcut". if someone enjoys the gym or frequent sex, so what?

live and let live. do it on your own terms, and note others will do the same.

i'd like to see karaoke go away. in dc, many clubs have it, and it's irritating as hell. it should be illegal for a drunk fag to be given a microphone when music is involved. beyond that, i don't care what you do or how you act. :)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
personally, i just wish gays could get along a little better with each other. stop expecting everyone to be like you. "he is effeminate...ew", or "he acts straight, he is trying to hide it". "that fat lesbian has a buzzcut". if someone enjoys the gym or frequent sex, so what?
I agree, and there doesn't seem to be too much problem in The Eagle, Green Lantern/Toolshed, Titan/Ramrod, or JR's. Just don't wear an improper fashion or be over age 24 in Cobalt or Be Bar or Apex.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Do you live under a rock?
That question doesn't bode well for you. Your blanket statements on the gay-community don't either.

The degree of their factualness is immaterial, at the moment. I think you’ve somehow got it in your head that there’s some significance behind society’s anti-gay stance, and, in consequence, have formulated your views of the gay-community from that point.

I submit to you this notion: that “anti-gay stance” has no “significance” behind it whatsoever. And it never has.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That question doesn't bode well for you. Your blanket statements on the gay-community don't either.

The degree of their factualness is immaterial, at the moment. I think you’ve somehow got it in your head that there’s some significance behind society’s anti-gay stance, and, in consequence, have formulated your views of the gay-community from that point.

I submit to you this notion: that “anti-gay stance” has no “significance” behind it whatsoever. And it never has.

My views of the gay community are formulated from my own personal experiences within it. Society's anti-gay stance didn't play much of a role in the formation of my views. You may have had different experiences but that has been mine. Perhaps the experience and perception of "gay culture" depends a lot on who you are. Could be wonderful for some and not others. Half full half empty.

steeler_999

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've always felt kind of alienated by most gay people, but then I feel that way about most straight people, too.

Whenever you go out into some social situation, there are a few people with pushy personalities who are the leaders, and who try to force their values and tastes on everyone else. And the rest of the people are conformist followers, who want to be part of a group and who try to be exactly like everyone else around them, without ever having anything in the way of an independent thought enter their heads.

The process seems to be the same, regardless of the subculture.

There are at least two main gay subcultures: The mindless, promiscuous sex subculture, consisting of people who consider their reason for being to have sex with anything that moves. And the gay rights activist subculture, consisting of people whose reason for being is to promote the idea that gay people are persecuted victims. Neither subculture looks like much fun to me. But, to each his own. The world is full of things that aren't very appealing.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Again, I challenge you that obsession with sex is a mostly MALE dynamic (and an expressly overall American one due to our own repressive culture).

I don't get whatever "it" is that is inherently "gay" about a guy wanting to fuck. Men think about sex, regardless of orientation.

I think that what you are pointing out are examples of MALE behavior that you tend to experience expressly within the confines of the GBLT community.

If you spent time around straight men (I have and do) you will notice that there are far more similarities than differences.

You're saying that this sex-obsessed behavior is not unique to gay men. Yes, I agree with that. But would you say that there is no gay culture that revolves around sex?

aristarchus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are at least two main gay subcultures: The mindless, promiscuous sex subculture, consisting of people who consider their reason for being to have sex with anything that moves. And the gay rights activist subculture, consisting of people whose reason for being is to promote the idea that gay people are persecuted victims. Neither subculture looks like much fun to me. But, to each his own. The world is full of things that aren't very appealing.

I recognize there is some validity to your definition of these two gay subcultures, but I must say that I think this is quite an incomplete inventory of gay "subcultures." I consider myself as gay as one can get, and as part of a gay community with a lot of members, and most of my socializing is with gay people--but oddly enough, none of them belong to either of the two subcultures you mention. (Obviously I know people in both those subcultures, but am not often in contact with them.)

The groups that you mention are highly visible (because that's their point) but it would be as much a mistake to define the whole "gay community" by them as to judge the size of an iceberg by what you can see above water.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've always felt kind of alienated by most gay people, but then I feel that way about most straight people, too.

Whenever you go out into some social situation, there are a few people with pushy personalities who are the leaders, and who try to force their values and tastes on everyone else. And the rest of the people are conformist followers, who want to be part of a group and who try to be exactly like everyone else around them, without ever having anything in the way of an independent thought enter their heads.

The process seems to be the same, regardless of the subculture.

am not saying this to be mean, but get out more. we all don't fit into convenient categories. some of us are slobs, some are pretty, some are not. some act like a "normal joe" and others don't. like most of society, we run the range, despite what the media says. there is not enough disk space on this board to tell you the variety of people i have encountered in my 44 years on the planet.

living in a large city has advantages. you meet all types.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You're saying that this sex-obsessed behavior is not unique to gay men. Yes, I agree with that. But would you say that there is no gay culture that revolves around sex?

That is exactly what I said in the post you quoted. Obessions with SEX is a MALE thing, not a "cultural" thing. Go back and re-read what I wrote.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've heard that in general lesbians don't enjoy penetration, but I wonder if any like sucking dick? That could be a new subculture called the chupacabras.

I hate to burst the straight guys' bubbles, but most of the lesbians I know would be rather happy if they never saw a penis again. This is why they fuck women.:rolleyes: If they wanted to be objectified and used as a blow up doll, they'd be calling on you. Many, many are the days I wish I could learn to like cooch.

I have to agree with Lex here, sex obsession is a MALE thing. Straight men are equally blatant about it, and believe me, it's equally obnoxious. The strip club industry revolves around it, the world of prostitution, rape, molestation- all the VAST and overwhelming majority of it revolves around the behaviors of MEN. Strippers and hookers are at least being paid to deal with it, as well they should be, but don't imagine for one hot minute that it isn't inflicted almost constantly on women who are not interested in dealing with it as a major life issue.

Do I seem angry? Hmmm? Well it's because I'm personally sick to death of MEN acting like "these guys" are someone else, and not them. Oh I know I'm about to get the littany of guys swearing they treat all women respectfully- I'm bored in advance. The truth is, we make friends with gay guys to get a moment's peace from your fucking demands.

How DARE a straight guy insinuate that sex obeseeion is a gay thing! It's a MAN thing, and if it grosses you out to watch gay men behave like that, let me assure you that's what women hate about straight men too. I hope you chastise your straight brothers for their behaviors as much as your gay brothers, because it's something we really need to learn- to delay gratification without turning into a monster.

Gay men are not tethered by the lower sex drives of women, and I think that subconsciously it pisses straight guys off to know that gay guys get laid more.:tongue:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hate to burst the straight guys' bubbles, but most of the lesbians I know would be rather happy if they never saw a penis again. This is why they fuck women.:rolleyes: If they wanted to be objectified and used as a blow up doll, they'd be calling on you. Many, many are the days I wish I could learn to like cooch.

I have to agree with Lex here, sex obsession is a MALE thing. Straight men are equally blatant about it, and believe me, it's equally obnoxious. The strip club industry revolves around it, the world of prostitution, rape, molestation- all the VAST and overwhelming majority of it revolves around the behaviors of MEN. Strippers and hookers are at least being paid to deal with it, as well they should be, but don't imagine for one hot minute that it isn't inflicted almost constantly on women who are not interested in dealing with it as a major life issue.

Do I seem angry? Hmmm? Well it's because I'm personally sick to death of MEN acting like "these guys" are someone else, and not them. Oh I know I'm about to get the littany of guys swearing they treat all women respectfully- I'm bored in advance. The truth is, we make friends with gay guys to get a moment's peace from your fucking demands.

How DARE a straight guy insinuate that sex obeseeion is a gay thing! It's a MAN thing, and if it grosses you out to watch gay men behave like that, let me assure you that's what women hate about straight men too. I hope you chastise your straight brothers for their behaviors as much as your gay brothers, because it's something we really need to learn- to delay gratification without turning into a monster.

Gay men are not tethered by the lower sex drives of women, and I think that subconsciously it pisses straight guys off to know that gay guys get laid more.:tongue:

God, do I LOVE a good Fag Hag.

MUWHAAA!!

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
To be honest, I know more gay men (and women) who aren't anything approaching promiscuous...some even loathe those who exhibit that type of behavior! To notion that gay men and women's lives, exclusively, are fueled by insatiable sex-drives is ludicrous.

What’s even sadder is to see gay people believe the rubbish they’ve been spoon-fed.