GED / HS Diploma

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Okay, I have a few questions regarding GED, High School Education, and things along those lines.

I live in SW missouri, Joplin, and I want to know about getting my GED. Can you get a GED while still in school? Is a GED just as good as HS Diploma? I know it may vary from state to state, but maybe someone can shed a little light on it. My brother got his GED after being dropped out of school for almost 2 years... but that didn't stop him, apparently he scored so well they want to give him a 4 year scholarship.

So you dont technically have to graduate highschool to be set for a while...

I know I can take the test, and I know I can score high, and maybe even higher if I go to the classes they have for preparing for taking your GED. The only problem is they only gve you scholarships to certain school, and I want to go to an out of state school... So that's kinda fucked.

Anyway, I want to take the rest of the year off from school, and maybe the next, to save and save, working 45+ hours a week for my move. I'm moving to chicago to goto school, so I'll have to pay to move, and pay my tuition.

And I know some may be saying, why not stay in stte and goto school for a few years then transfer to Chicago, and of course this has crossed my mind, This is my future here, I'm thinking about it from every view. I hate missouri, I hate this town, I hate the people n thie town, and I hate my life when I live in this town... Unrighteous hate, unnecessary hate perhaps... But I dont give a fuck.

I hate what I hate, and thats all that I hate.

On the other hand I Love Chicago, I love Illinois, I love the people, I love the town, I love my life when I lived in that town(city).

I guess I'm going on a bit of a rant here, but this is my future and nothing is more important to me than my future!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: The GED!

Is there anyone that can give me a little background on themself or someone they know that got a GED, or anything at all? Good or Bad... The more of both I have the better.

This is my future, and no one can choose what I do but me... but I could use a little help, a little advice, a little counsel... So please help me out!

Thanks In Advance,

Josh "Danzig" Dodson

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Lol, Idk about that. In this case knowledge is power, and I want to be Hitler... Before the whole losing, killingself, thing.

I need more insight than, "I say to do this"... That's kinda the thing us young kids are oppose to.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
received my degree the old-fashioned way: I earned it.

So someone that studies in a class, takes a test, and recieves a GED isn't earning anything?

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Josh "Danzig" Dodson

Edit: Lol, I bet I'm coming off as a huge jerk, soon no one will want to post.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
So someone that studies in a class, takes a test, and recieves a GED isn't earning anything?

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Josh "Danzig" Dodson

Well there is something to be said of someone who, of their own volition, doesn't finish High School and decides to pursue a GED.

It's something like opportunity cost ... kinda.

I need more insight than, "I say to do this"... That's kinda the thing us young kids are oppose to
... and not to be nit-picky or anything, but that's not actually what I said. I never explicitly told you what to do; I just stated where my "vote" was at.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I got a GED two years ago. I dropped out of high school when I was sixteen. I agree that it is much better to get a high school diploma! I don't know whether or not you can study for it while still going to school. My sister got her GED when she was seventeen but she had already dropped out. A lot of places do look down on a person with a GED. It's unfortunate but it is reality. I could not get into my local university (because I didn't have a diploma) so I had to settle for community college instead. I'm studying architecture but I'm not sure whether I will be able to land the kind of job I eventually want with my education. Having a GED greatly limits one's options! I've read about the difference in salary between people of differing education levels and I must say I would much rather have stood in school, graduated and went to university instead of going down the path that I have. It is possible to have a decent life being a high school dropout but I want more than that. I want a great life! With only a GED and a community college education I think I may have to settle for a 'comfortable' life. Speaking from my own experience having worked shit jobs that pay very little, you should stay in school and graduate! Especially since you are so close to graduating!:smile:

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I plan on seeking out a sort of career in music, or literature, or in performing arts in general.

I look up to people like Ian Mackaye, and Henry Rollins, and Jim Carroll.

I wouldn't say any of them have a "comfortable" life, as matter of fact. Henry Rollins is prolly the richest of the three.

I'm not going to school, and learning, to make money, I'm doing it to be what I want.

I've been approached by a few record companies after I passed out some of my bands demos and they wanted to make a sort of deal, but I wouldn't even hear them out, I just turned them down on the spot, and my bandmates knew I did the right thing.

Just think, I could have dropped out of school fully and gone, maybe, to do something so that I would never really have to work gain. But thats not what I want.

It's all about my principals.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Do as you wish then and follow your "principals." No one can live your life but you of course. Do what you feel is right for you. I wish you well. No one could stop me then and no one can stop you now I'm sure!

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Do as you wish then and follow your "principals." No one can live your life but you of course. Do what you feel is right for you. I wish you well. No one could stop me then and no one can stop you now I'm sure!

I know what you're thinking. He's 18. He's young. Doesn't really know what he wants.

And I'm not going to attempt to persuade, not only because it's probably impossible, but mainly becuase I dont give a fuck. Yea, I'm a stubborn youngster.

You can go off and become some sad, old fucker wondering what went wrong.

I don't have to worry about that.:biggrin1:

And you're right, no one can stop me. Why? Because if there is a god in the universe I swear on him, if you try to bring me down, I'll fucking kill you.

Toodles,

Josh "Danzig" Dodson
(I have no idea why people call me a jerk)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I did finish high school and got my diploma, so I really cannot comment on the difference between a GED and a diploma. One thing I will say, though, is that many schools and employers don't see those documents as the level and quality of your education, they see them as measures of your drive and determination, and your ability to finish what you start. That's even big part of an undergraduate program and bachelor's degree from a 4-year college. Sure, some of the knowledge and subject material is important, but the real, intensive career prep is in the Master's and Doctoral programs. The high school and undergrad programs are designed more to give you coping skills and measure your dedication.

Of course there are a few exceptions, but for what it's worth, most of the people I know who got a GED instead of a high school diploma did so in order to get into vocational/technical schools.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I know what you're thinking. He's 18. He's young. Doesn't really know what he wants.

Actually, that isn't what I was thinking...
And I'm not going to attempt to persuade, not only because it's probably impossible, but mainly becuase I dont give a fuck. Yea, I'm a stubborn youngster.

No need to persuade me.
You can go off and become some sad, old fucker wondering what went wrong.
Surely I can.
I don't have to worry about that.:biggrin1:

Obviously.
And you're right, no one can stop me. Why? Because if there is a god in the universe I swear on him, if you try to bring me down, I'll fucking kill you.

:eek: :scared:

Toodles?

Josh "Danzig" Dodson
(I have no idea why people call me a jerk)

I think I may have an idea.:rolleyes:

Spoogesicle

Experimental Member
Media
Under a bridge...The Bridge of Sighs (or Size?)
Sexuality
Unsure

It is often seen as a sign of someone who doesn't have the determination to see something through to its logical conclusion. To go for a GED rather than a diploma is to seek a shortcut, and taking a GED exam is not the same thing as receiving an education.

I plan on seeking out a sort of career in music, or literature, or in performing arts in general.

And I wish you the best of luck. However, surely you know that for everyone who makes it in the world of music/performing arts, there are literally hundreds who don't. How many young people set out to conquer the entertainment world just to find out there's no room for them, and they end up with no career and no diploma to fall back on. And a career in literature without a diploma? In this day and age? Surely you can't be serious! To land a literary career without at least a MA, and more likely a PhD, is almost unheard of.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm not planning on "making it" in the world of music or literature, I'll be there, I'll put myself out, I'll do what I want. I dont planning on being rich, I don't plan on being popular, I dont plan on acting in, directing, or producing major films, or even medium films.

I don't want money, I don't want popularity.

Like I said before, the men I look up to are hardly rich. You could be so bold as to call them poor, and I'm fine with that. I don't have to measure myself by my bank account, or how many zeros my paycheck has.

I'm not afraid of my future, and you know why??

Because my future will be exactly as I want it to be, because I will make it that way.

A lot of people say, insencerely, that money doesnt matter... but I actually mean it.

Anyway.

Thanks for all the views and such, I'll consider each post:p

Thanks,

Josh "Danzig" Dodson

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chicago is an awesome town, just don't mess around with anywhere outside of the metro area. Chicago is an extremely big town stretching from Indiana all the way towards Wisconsin. It is SO more your style than Missouri (Missouri is a bullshit state!). Get the fuck out into the world and let it all hang out brother, YOU ARE READY! You are mature and wise way beyond your years. You will use every ounce of your being to survive the mean streets of Chicago, it is frawt with La Cosa Nostra, the Latin Kings and MS-13, this is a REALITY. Avoid these three groups AND the neighborhoods that they frequent, something tells me you will not spend a lot of time in Cicero though...lol!

Give that city your all... and you will be rewarded handsomely Josh! Remember that cute white guys are in the minority in Chicago, so you will have no problems whatsoever, and will suddenly find that you are a novelty for the first time in your life. Go ahead and sample the AMAZING women in Chicago, the varielty is simply breathtaking, I know you'll do well. Please, stay out of the ex and suburbs, they are not much different then anywhere else in the country, the metro area is where it is at!

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Chicago is an awesome town, just don't mess around with anywhere outside of the metro area. Chicago is an extremely big town stretching from Indiana all the way towards Wisconsin. It is SO more your style than Missouri (Missouri is a bullshit state!). Get the fuck out into the world and let it all hang out brother, YOU ARE READY! You are mature and wise way beyond your years. You will use every ounce of your being to survive the mean streets of Chicago, it is frawt with La Cosa Nostra, the Latin Kings and MS-13, this is a REALITY. Avoid these three groups AND the neighborhoods that they frequent, something tells me you will not spend a lot of time in Cicero though...lol!

Give that city your all... and you will be rewarded handsomely Josh! Remember that cute white guys are in the minority in Chicago, so you will have no problems whatsoever, and will suddenly find that you are a novelty for the first time in your life. Go ahead and sample the AMAZING women in Chicago, the varielty is simply breathtaking, I know you'll do well. Please, stay out of the ex and suburbs, they are not much different then anywhere else in the country, the metro area is where it is at!

Thanks Tripod, finally someone has a little faith in me.

I think I value your opinion above all the others, you're one of the few people I actually respect.

Lol, I don't know if I'll be much of novelty though...

First things first, I do what I do for me... If I can make money with it then it's gravy, and if not thats fine, I dont have a problem with being a pauper.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lifelong educator here. Elementary, Middle, and Secondary experience as a teacher and assistant principal. Now working in higher ed.

A GED is not equivalent to a diploma. That said, both of those have an inherent glass ceiling in our society in regards to employability. The blue collar sector is drying up and even manufacturing is done with high level computers and technology.

Statistics show that the average American under 35 has changed jobs and careers numerous times. Your generation is the generation of re- and self-invention.

I would caution you that it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. I have a undergrad major in Art and an an artist my training (before I got into education). It's nice to have options.