Gen. McChrystal disparages Obama and Administration in Interview, Ordered Home

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trinity, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Where are we on Afghanistan if the top General is expressing these types of remarks? Obama now has yet another problem blowing up.

FoxNews

This is another example coming out about Obama's lack of leadership, and inexperience and weakness (expressed by the General.) It being confirmed and reiterated by our top General in the middle of a quagmire war...even though many want it confirmed...is troublesome:

My thinking is...The Generals and his staff shouldn't be giving all access interviews to the media. They aren't politicians...they are military soldiers whose job it is to win a war - not to express opinions on politics to RollingStone.

2. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
  3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    HA. Popcorn is right. I have Trinity on ignore- so I won't quote her post- but it's a big story, and I think we should have a thread on it. There is only one issue here- Obama is the Commander in Chief. If you, as a high level general, wish to publicly disagree with the President, you have two choices 1) STFU 2) resign, and speak your mind. The US has a long and proud tradition of civilian control over the military. IMHO, Obama should fire the guy, but that's just me. Another thought I had- I was always under the impression that high level military commanders, out of respect- always abstained from voting for President, knowing that whomever won, they would be under that person's command.I really don't understand why Trinity thinks it's ok for a sitting military official to disparage the President.

4. Northland

Gold Member

So let me see if I get this right...President Obama has a problem and President Obama is a failure at leadership, is inexperienced and weak- according to what you wrote. However, McChrystal should say nothing, even though he is confirming what you keep blubbering and blathering? Would not this be precisely the icing on your cupcake? Here you have this General confirming what you've been saying and now you want him to hush up- why?

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because they're generals. They need to STFU, and express any misgivings in private.

6. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    [Forgive me for editing your post, but I merely removed an offensive reference while preserving intact your full intent and meaning.]

I believe 99.999% of high-level military commanders abstain from expressing political opinion, but a fair number of them do vote. This is also generally true for military officers.

I worked in the Pentagon for a couple of years as a low-level staff officer and although you would have never heard the flag officers I worked for express an opinion about the President, they were very quick to point out that they were voters. The same was not true about "the Hill" (e.g. Congress) -- they were routinely characterized as either being friendly to the military or friendly to the [insert a reference to the enemy-du-jour].

However, you are entirely correct, TomCat84 -- no member of the military from the highest to the lowest -- is allowed to disparage the President. For those who are unaware, it has nothing to do with who or what party is in office; it is based on the military principle of chain of command. The President is the "Commander-in-Chief" and as such, may not be criticized publicly by any member of the military. Civilian control of the military is one of the key principles framed in our Constitution and it is a hallmark of a free society.

As to this particular issue, I would like to see the entire transcript of the recorded notes from this interview... it's very possible that the quote (even if accurate) was taken out of context from the question(s) raised or the track of the discussion. McChrystal is no dummy, but I can envision a clever question or two eliciting such a response. It's unfortunate: military leaders are today treated like any other celebrity or politician. If they shun interviews or public attention, they are assumed to be sinister puppets of an evil force. If they open up to the press or express opinions, they risk running counter to established policy or position. It's an easy line to cross, but a difficult line to walk.

I assume McChrystal will offer his resignation.

7. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Trinity REALLY needs a hobby. Other than trolling, that is.

8. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Funniest.

Post.

Ever.

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

If Gary Coleman awoke from his grave and had a criticism of Obama, his opponents would consider that some monumental piece of info and will beat it to death. At this point, I don't give a fuck who thinks Obama is incompetent anymore. He was still the better choice in 2008 and contrary to the convoluted beliefs of certain bitter, torllish people... no other "party" has been able to generate another candidate that would have a remote's chance in hell to better him in 2012.

Harboring hate this long for one person is not healthy. Seek some damn therapy.

10. captain garbonzo

captain garbonzo New Member

What comes around goes around. Same thing many, many libs did with Bush, even though he didn't deserve all of the negative press he received. I realize that's not your opinion but that's besides the point. I find it hilarious, the lack of respect for The White House. Sad but funny.

Unfortunately, this war is a lost cause. People of the Middle East will never side with us. America will always be the enemy of Islam in many of their people's minds. One thing people just don't get: the bullshit that permeates Middle East Islamic culture. Someone in Iran has constipation or can't get a hard-on, they blame it on the USA. It's a culture of complete denial.

11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is not the first time an American general has gotten too big for his britches. Truman had to deal with General MacArthur who had a much higher standing and profile than Stan McChrystal. As I remember it, MacArthur wanted to nuke Red China during the Korean War. Truman disagreed and would not allow it. A letter by MacArthur critical of the President was read out on the floor of the House and copies were given to the press. Within the week, Truman relieved MacArthur of his command.

This situation is not as dangerous as the one Truman faced. But still Obama must demonstrate in no uncertain terms who's in charge of the US military and McChrystal has to make a show respect to him. The General has to go. If there's one thing the US Army has no shortage of, it's generals.

#11 vince, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  12. Trinity

Trinity New Member

I didn't say McChrystal and our top brass should say nothing. There is a time and place for everything. Many who disagree with Obama's policies appreciate the confirmation of their criticisms on Obama and his policies coming from a well respected General who was hand picked by Obama himself and who has boots on the ground - it should be the icing on my cupcake - You are right. But it's not.

We are in danger of losing the top General in Afghanistan because of an article in RollingStone. I could do without that. Obama's weakness, inexperience and lack of leadership is confirmed everyday. McChrystal having a lapse in judgment and jeopardizing his command simply so that RollingStone can have a scoop article entitled "The Runaway General" revealing McChrystal and his staff popping off at the mouth and then having to apologize later for remarks not meant for their boss to hear; wasn't needed more than we need McChrystal in Afghanistan.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's not even a question of respect of lack thereof.
    First off, I wasn't one of the "libs" who continually bashed Bush on this board. My post history reflects this, yet somehow people like me are continually linked to that. Why? Because I usually side with a liberal mindset?

Secondly, it gets more and more annoying when people use the opinions of others as their main base for their own arguments which is precisely what many of the current anti-administration junkies are doing at this moment. Opinions don't magically become fact just because one person can source 1,000 blogs or news articles that say the same thing. Also, there is nothing in the rule books that state everyone who is a liberal, a Democrat or anyone who voted for Obama in 2008 has to agree on everything. In fact, it's actually rather healthy that people who currently work in Congress or with the current administration may have opinions that differ from the President. However, the extreme dissenters take any piece of criticism they can find and run with it in some tired attempt to fell validated for the hatred they harbor for people in government. This is just another thread that echoes that very sentiment. Is it really a sign of a failing administration all because General McChrystal disagreed with Obama as to how to approach things in the Middle East? Of course not... but try telling that to people who have it set in their minds that any one particular person or group in Congress is "evil".

Some people will hate us in the Middle East, that is true. But it's not the majority of them. Being that I vacationed in Jordan and Israel over two years ago, I can tell you firsthand that I didn't have any person staring at me the wrong way or treating me badly all because I was American. Islam is not the problem either, as with most people who follow a religion. Commoners seek to religion for spiritual guidance and enlightenment... not power. It's the messengers who abuse their rank and spread the word of demonization and ignorance that we need to deal with.

#13 B_VinylBoy, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  14. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    MchChrsytal will resign either today or VERY soon, it's called insubordination.

15. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    From the Uniform Code of Military Justice:
    Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
    Uniform Code of Military Justice - UCMJ

16. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    He will probably be asked to resign, and if he refuses- I hope Obama will fire him. Of course, Fox News will probably give him a talk show.:rolleyes:

17. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
  18. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^BTW, it says that McChrystal has submitted his resignation.

19. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not just a "proud tradition", it's written into the constitution. The Commander in Chief is a civilian. Despite much evidence to the contrary, the US is not a Banana Republic.

The person or people who post under the screen name "Trinity" (my guess would be three, for obvious reasons) has one goal in mind: to propagandize against Barack Obama as much as possible.

All these threads (hundreds by now, I'd bet) are geared toward one thing only: to increase Google results under an anti-Obama search matrix. The much bigger question is why the powers that be here allow LPSG to be used in such a manner :confused:

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you for the timely and obvious comparison.

Why does it take a Canadian to remind Americans of the reality of their own history? One good guess is that American History, such as it's taught in public schools using Texas-approved textbooks, focuses so much on the federalist era and the Civil War that mid-late 20th century history, if discussed at all, is painted in the broadest strokes possible. In my case, American History stopped with VJ Day, but I graduated in 1978.

Draft saved Draft deleted