Gen. McChrystal disparages Obama and Administration in Interview, Ordered Home

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This is not the first time an American general has gotten too big for his britches. Truman had to deal with General MacArthur who had a much higher standing and profile than Stan McChrystal. As I remember it, MacArthur wanted to nuke Red China during the Korean War. Truman disagreed and would not allow it. A letter by MacArthur critical of the President was read out on the floor of the House and copies were given to the press. Within the week, Truman relieved MacArthur of his command.

This situation is not as dangerous as the one Truman faced. But still Obama must demonstrate in no uncertain terms who's in charge of the US military and McChrystal has to make a show respect to him. The General has to go. If there's one thing the US Army has no shortage of, it's generals.

MchChrsytal will resign either today or VERY soon, it's called insubordination.

Ditto. Next tro... er, thread please. :rolleyes:

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
The "this isn't the first time" attempt at a casual dismissal of this story as if it doesn't affect Obama is funny. Obama is in quagmire if he keeps McChrystal and he's in a worse quagmire if he relieves him of command. :rolleyes:

The person or people who post under the screen name "Trinity" (my guess would be three, for obvious reasons) has one goal in mind: to propagandize against Barack Obama as much as possible.
First I'm a man, now I'm three people...wow! You guys keep bringing the ridiculous!

All these threads (hundreds by now, I'd bet) are geared toward one thing only: to increase Google results under an anti-Obama search matrix. The much bigger question is why the powers that be here allow LPSG to be used in such a manner

The threads are posted by me because you guys don't post them because they don't reflect well on Obama.

Notice how you continually turn the discussion to me and how I should be censored for posting huge political stories of day. Obama's job approval is below 50%, a solid majority of Americans don't think he should be reelected and each of the stories that blew up today didn't help Obama. You can't ignore it, spin it or make it about me.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
While acknowledging the constraints General Stanley A. McChrystal has to operate under, I have to admire the insight and the courage

I'm sure he appreciated full well the consequences, but the greater duty to the people and nation he observed, in disparaging the current "leadership" and the direction they are leading us to ...

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
As to this particular issue, I would like to see the entire transcript of the recorded notes from this interview... it's very possible that the quote (even if accurate) was taken out of context from the question(s) raised or the track of the discussion. McChrystal is no dummy, but I can envision a clever question or two eliciting such a response.
I heard an interview with the author today. I don't believe this was gotcha journalism at all, and the general supposedly approved the article prior to publication. Maybe he thought it was 'cool' to be interviewed by Rolling Stone and got carried away, or maybe he's frustrated with his near impossible mission. For what ever reason, it's really unconscionable and unfortunate he shot his mouth off.

This is not the first time an American general has gotten too big for his britches. . . .
This is not the first time McChrystal has gotten too big for his britches. He's publicly spoken out of turn before. You'd think he'd learn.

MchChrsytal will resign either today or VERY soon, it's called insubordination.
If there's one thing the US Army has no shortage of, it's generals.
As Indy points out, it's an offense that could be subject to court-martial. I seriously doubt that will happen, but Obama has no choice but to replace him. It's untenable to have someone in that position so at odds with and openly critical of the administration. Unfortunately, he is probably the best man for that very difficult job and won't be that easy to replace. Really unfortunate.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
While acknowledging the constraints General Stanley A. McChrystal has to operate under, I have to admire the insight and the courage

I'm sure he appreciated full well the consequences, but the greater duty to the people and nation he observed, in disparaging the current "leadership" and the direction they are leading us to ...

What? If he fully appreciated the consequences, he should have resigned before opening his big mouth. Then he would have been free to disparage all he wants. You're saying that a guy who broke the basic tenets of chain of command theory is courageous and insightful. If it had been Bush, you would've screamed bloody murder about Democrats, libs, etc. I'm sick of conservatives glorifying military members who break the law or the chain of command.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What? If he fully appreciated the consequences, he should have resigned before opening his big mouth. Then he would have been free to disparage all he wants. You're saying that a guy who broke the basic tenets of chain of command theory is courageous and insightful.

actually it was his insight that led to the act,; I'm sure he was fully cognizant the act was against his SELF-INTEREST, but acted to observe his larger duty, hence his courageousness

had we seen more of that throughout history, our textbooks would not be as full of the atrocities and misfortunes that have been recorded

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
....For what ever reason, it's really unconscionable and unfortunate he shot his mouth off.

This is not the first time McChrystal has gotten too big for his britches. He's publicly spoken out of turn before. You'd think he'd learn.

As Indy points out, it's an offense that could be subject to court-martial. I seriously doubt that will happen, but Obama has no choice but to replace him. It's untenable to have someone in that position so at odds with and openly critical of the administration. Unfortunately, he is probably the best man for that very difficult job and won't be that easy to replace. Really unfortunate.

He's not the best man for the job if he either doesn't believe in the job he's doing or doesn't respect the chain of command as a general. Fact is this is not the first time. A msnbc article asks if Obama can afford to remove him. Obama can't afford NOT to, and I agree that he has no choice but to replace McChrystal.

Certainly if he doesn't those same critics will label him as weak and indecisive, not to mention the effect McChrystal's opinion would undoubtedly have on the men he's supposed to be leading into battle. The general has got to go.

...What? If he fully appreciated the consequences, he should have resigned before opening his big mouth. Then he would have been free to disparage all he wants. You're saying that a guy who broke the basic tenets of chain of command theory is courageous and insightful. If it had been Bush, you would've screamed bloody murder about Democrats, libs, etc....

Exactly. You're sworn to follow that chain of command. Don't believe in your commander in chief, then a) offer him your personal insight, advice, and military expertise; and b) resign if your advice is ignored. Then you can talk all you want.

No doubt, if it had been Bush, McChrystal would've been outta there the first time.

Some people don't respect "nice".

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
He's not the best man for the job if he either doesn't believe in the job he's doing or doesn't respect the chain of command as a general.
Poor choice of word on my part. I should have said "best man for the mission", which I believe he is.

Clearly he is not the "best man for the job".

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If he fully appreciated the consequences, he should have resigned before opening his big mouth.

In the UK there is the idea that a senior military figure should leave a good few months between resigning and criticising, so resigning in order to speak out is not an option. I suppose there is some appropriate clause in the employment contract to back this up, so there would be some possibility of legal enforcement.

If McChrystal had resigned then immediately criticised, would it actually have caused a smaller storm? Or would the resignation in order to criticise have caused as much of a storm as him speaking out while in post?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
All these threads (hundreds by now, I'd bet) are geared toward one thing only: to increase Google results under an anti-Obama search matrix. The much bigger question is why the powers that be here allow LPSG to be used in such a manner :confused:

I'm really glad that you said this.
It's a trend that I'm noticing the more and more I do web design work. Doing various Google & Yahoo searches for most things political these days is generating a lot more responses from conservative blogs, message boards, news tickers and websites. The warnings were out there back during the HCL debates, and some investigative journalists were blowing the whistles on these so-called "grassroots" sites emerging from nowhere.

Why someone would want to use LPSG for such a thing is beyond me, however, it does make sense.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's a trend that I'm noticing the more and more I do web design work. Doing various Google & Yahoo searches for most things political these days is generating a lot more responses from conservative blogs, message boards, news tickers and websites. The warnings were out there back during the HCL debates, and some investigative journalists were blowing the whistles on these so-called "grassroots" sites emerging from nowhere.

Why someone would want to use LPSG for such a thing is beyond me, however, it does make sense.

Propagandizing and Free Speech are not the same thing: not by a long shot.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media

Of course. A post on the biggest story of day is some kind of anti-Obama conspiracy because the post was made up - No, it's a real story - wait it was total spin from a rightwing blog - Nope, it was in RollingStone, well, Gen. McChrystal never supported Obama - no, he voted for him. LOL...you guys are ridiculous!

Can't stand the news because it doesn't make Obama look good so you resort to the ridiculous. :rolleyes:

JacobFox

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What comes around goes around. Same thing many, many libs did with Bush, even though he didn't deserve all of the negative press he received.

I sort of agree, although I am a liberal. I can't speak for the opinions of many others, though. However, several times during Bush's presidency, I did my best to put my feelings aside and give him the benefit of the doubt. Each time I did this, I ended up disapointed.

I am not ecstatic about Obama's presidency (although I voted for him), but I am not condemning him either. I continue to give him the same opportunities I would give anyone and will see what happens.

As far as the issue goes, I need to read more about it before having an informed opinion.

(BTW the correct statement is "what goes around, comes around." The way you said it really makes no sense although most people use that phrase)

Last edited:

JacobFox

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
after reading this thread and more information, I have a little more respect for Bush. I think Bush would have fired the guy rather than go through the waiting period. Obama should fire the guy pronto.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
after reading this thread and more information, I have a little more respect for Bush. I think Bush would have fired the guy rather than go through the waiting period. Obama should fire the guy pronto.
Trust me, he will, as soon as he returns to Washington and meets with him.

You don't fire him in the field. There is protocol.

And why that elevates Bush in your estimation is puzzling.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Of course. A post on the biggest story of day is some kind of anti-Obama conspiracy because the post was made up - No, it's a real story - wait it was total spin from a rightwing blog - Nope, it was in RollingStone, well, Gen. McChrystal never supported Obama - no, he voted for him. LOL...you guys are ridiculous!

Can't stand the news because it doesn't make Obama look good so you resort to the ridiculous. :rolleyes:

What did I tell you about quoting me, troll? :rolleyes:
You have lost all your privileges to debate with me.

BTW, if you could take off your "I have Obama blinders" for a change you'd see that I have actually been critical about Obama on a number of occasions. But you can't read. Period. And you can't speak for yourself as you hide behind a countless number of opinionated blogs and polls to speak your partisan ignorance.

What you're doing is trolling, propagandizing and making a complete a** of yourself... as usual. Recognize your place under the bridge and step away from me, pronto.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
After checking ou tthe politics forum a couple of times(I am not gonna say anything about Obama, the General or any other U.S. Politician, as I am not american, and it's not really any of my business) I have noticed that everytime I see a thread started by Trinity, it's something negative about President Obama. Looking at his/her/whatever he/she/it is post history, he/she/it has NEVER posted outside the politics forum!
Trinity, you say you just want to post these things, cause others on here wouldn't post them, but I wonder: This is a SUPPORT SITE for LARGE PENISES, why is it necessary to post this here, other than the reasons Bbucko had mentioned earlier? To show up on google searches.....

JacobFox

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Trust me, he will, as soon as he returns to Washington and meets with him.

You don't fire him in the field. There is protocol.

And why that elevates Bush in your estimation is puzzling.

It doesn't really elevate Bush... I am just not thinking 100% clearly cause I haven't slept in 72 hours... But yeah, the guy should be fired.

JacobFox

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
After checking ou tthe politics forum a couple of times(I am not gonna say anything about Obama, the General or any other U.S. Politician, as I am not american, and it's not really any of my business) I have noticed that everytime I see a thread started by Trinity, it's something negative about President Obama. Looking at his/her/whatever he/she/it is post history, he/she/it has NEVER posted outside the politics forum!
Trinity, you say you just want to post these things, cause others on here wouldn't post them, but I wonder: This is a SUPPORT SITE for LARGE PENISES, why is it necessary to post this here, other than the reasons Bbucko had mentioned earlier? To show up on google searches.....

it just wishes to keep causing us pain.

D

deleted15807

The much bigger question is why the powers that be here allow LPSG to be used in such a manner :confused:

I ask myself that question with each hourly Obama bashing thread It starts. Why why why?