Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm so glad that this " NEWS"..is almost over........ well I suppose that the news crews down here will continue to report on this issue for at least another week.... Good grief..there are plenty of important issue here in Georgia.

:mad:

jewboy8

Just Browsing
Media
Well actaully it is an assumption as you have no statistics to back it up with, you cannot use personal experiences as proof.

I can't comment on American racial segergation, but I'll admit whilst there will ALWAYS be racial differences and resentment between some people, it is not a huge deal in this country at the present time, just over-reactions.

Infact a recent black police commissioner has said he wanted more ethnic minorities stop and searched because of the increase of gun and knife crime. What makes me laugh is people are offended by this, yet can't see the link between black youths and gun/knife crime.

No. No. NO. NO.

It is fact, not an assumption. There are more than enough facts compiled to show that Black people in America do not experience the criminal justice system the same way that whites do. Do some research and come back.

Half the comments in this thread make me want to throw up. It's unsettling some times to see what kind of opinions are actually out there in the world.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Well actaully it is an assumption as you have no statistics to back it up with, you cannot use personal experiences as proof.
She's using rhetoric:cool:. NTJQ knows that her experiences do not equal statistical observation, but it doesn't negate what she's observed in her life. This discussion is not just about Black Americans crying historical racism. If a crime has been committed, the accused must go before the law for judgment. The problem which is being raised her is about fairness within the American Justice system. Do Blacks receive harsher sentences as a result of systematic biases within the American judicial system? Black Americans are getting upset because we still have to worry about such an issue in 2007.

--> If you want some statistical evidence, look into Black inmates on death row, as I mentioned above. Or, there's the age-old controversy about why there are two different sentences for the 2 different forms of cocaine - the variant commonly found in Black communities receives a stiffer sentence.

--> Many Americans won't necessarily recognize how unusually odd the American penal system is, but under George Bush's America, the corporate penal system has grown rather large. And yes, American culture (particular in some Southern states), has a strange, harsh, overly righteous notion of Justice. If you don't think so, then why does the Guantanamo colony still exist, 6 years after 9/11? I think those "detainees" have yet to be given a formal indictment let alone any decent form of trial. Why does the US have one of the highest rates of execution of any 1st world country? It's all part of the same mentality of American righteousness that punishes criminals harshly, yet selectively shows Mercy for a few (presumably other Whites).

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
I can't comment on American racial segergation, but I'll admit whilst there will ALWAYS be racial differences and resentment between some people, it is not a huge deal in this country at the present time, just over-reactions.

In fact a recent black police commissioner has said he wanted more ethnic minorities stop and searched because of the increase of gun and knife crime. What makes me laugh is people are offended by this, yet can't see the link between black youths and gun/knife crime.

Regardless of whether a Black or White police commissioner calls for it, what basically amounts to racial profiling is still wrong in practice. The practice of racial profiling implicitly encourages authority figures to presume the guilt, and not the innocence, of those being profiled. It's not until you are on the wrong end of the profiling that you truly know how wrong it is.

Let me give you an example of my experiences as a Black American traveling to London for social reasons. I have been to London about 6+ times and visit about once every 2 years or so. In the summer of 2000, I was 25. I remember traveling along on British Airways, wearing a dress shirt and tie, on a business class ticket to London. When I arrived at Heathrow, I observed how the people on my flight were queued up to go through customs according to their country of origin. I saw UK citizens being waived through ( that 's OK), businessmen were waived through (OK), families with young children were waived through (OK), but I was pulled aside for a security check. I had to remove the contents of my pockets and answer several questions before being allowed to advance. They would have asked me more questions, had I not told them that I was staying in West London in a "posh" location with a family friend.

.... Fastforward to Thanksgiving 2003 when I returned to London again. Now, we're in a post 9/11 world. I was expecting to be profiled again when passing through Heathrow's customs. That didn't happen. .. They just waived me through and barely looked at my American passport -- no questions asked. I did notice people that they were pulling over to ask questions. They were all young males of Indian/Pakistani or Mideastern persuasion. I remember thinking, "Thank you, God. Black people are no longer on the top of the racial profiling list". I then thought about how awful it must be to be an Asian person in Western Europe or the US where the officials are constantly wondering if you are a potential terrorist.

The point is this: It sucks to be profiled!

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
And? It's for the benefits of every other person who could be effected by the troubles that plauge our country. I've been wrongly arrested and locked up for 16 hours straight when I was completly innocent and I'd go through it all again because I know that it was only right because of what could of happened.

There is a strong, strong link between black youths and knife crime and gun crime, so I see no reason why we don't increase stop and searches on these youths.

Let me put it this way.

There is a country full of red jelly babies and green jelly babies. It is a well known fact that only red jelly babies play with allsorts and may have caught something. Is there any point in testing green jelly babies for it since we know that red jelly babies will be effected? It would be a waste of money and time on the polices effort.

Obviously you could say that people of all ages and colours can cause knife and gun crime, but the fact of the matter is, it's mainly a black youth/gang culture thing, well in the UK anyway.

It's exactly the same as stop and searches on arabic people at airports, seeing as they are more likely to be terrorists at this current standing then others.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
No. No. NO. NO.

It is fact, not an assumption. There are more than enough facts compiled to show that Black people in America do not experience the criminal justice system the same way that whites do. Do some research and come back.

Half the comments in this thread make me want to throw up. It's unsettling some times to see what kind of opinions are actually out there in the world.

How about you do the research since you're the one trying to prove a point. You have no evidence what so ever to back up your claims, and I'm just going to pass you off as an overly sensitive person.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
And? It's for the benefits of every other person who could be effected by the troubles that plauge our country. I've been wrongly arrested and locked up for 16 hours straight when I was completly innocent and I'd go through it all again because I know that it was only right because of what could of happened.

There's a difference between for being detained under probable cause vs. guilt by association. If there is some credible evidence that you SPECIFICALLY may be involved in a crime i.e. a probable link, then the police can and should lawfully detain you for investigations. If, by pure circumstances of your birth, you happen to have been born to an "out of favor" minority or political group, then NO, you should not be detained. You implicitly presume a person's guilt by association, and they are not given the benefit of the doubt that they ARE law-abiding citizens.

There is a strong, strong link between black youths and knife crime and gun crime, so I see no reason why we don't increase stop and searches on these youths.

Let me put it this way.

There is a country full of red jelly babies and green jelly babies. It is a well known fact that only red jelly babies play with allsorts and may have caught something. Is there any point in testing green jelly babies for it since we know that red jelly babies will be effected? It would be a waste of money and time on the polices effort.

Obviously you could say that people of all ages and colours can cause knife and gun crime, but the fact of the matter is, it's mainly a black youth/gang culture thing, well in the UK anyway.

It's exactly the same as stop and searches on arabic people at airports, seeing as they are more likely to be terrorists at this current standing then others.

It doesn't matter if you think certain groups, like others, are suspected of being terrorists moreso than others. I would argue that search techniques should be more uniform in nature. That's why I mentioned my own disparate experiences at Heathrow as a Black American visitor to England. In 2000, I was in the "suspect" profile of a young, single, Black male who, despite his professional appearance and credentials, was questioned because I may be that profile Carribean drug smuggler (or something like that). Then, in 2003, after 9/11/2001 happened, and the Black/Afro-Carribean drug smuggler was no longer public enemy #1, I was left in peace. It's de-humanzing to be profiled on a circumstantial basis such as cultural background or skin color.

How would you like it it, for example, if we were traveling to China and had to pass through Chinese customs and you were profiled? Let's say that you were "profiled" by the Chinese authorities because you speak English with a melodious cadence, and they suspect you of being another troublesome Aussie. I, on the other hand, pass through Chinese customs w/o harassment because Black people aren't perceived as "problems" in China. You would be displeased with your detainment by a wrongful association with being a criminal Aussie when, in fact, you are a UK citizen... To the Chinese, you are just another White person who speaks non-American English. To them,you are probably just another criminal Aussie traveler.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For your information I neither live under a rock nor am I an idiot. You have a right to your opinion as I do mine. Why you feel the need to attack someone because they don't agree with your opinion is beyond me.
No, our laws aren't perfect and some are just plain stupid but nonetheless they are the laws and have to be enforced. Do I believe in some of the sentences handed down, no I don't, just serve on jury duty and you'll be amazed. I think alot of it has to do with the judge, in my case while on jury duty he handed down the maximum sentences on both cases.
I just wished people would look at the facts of the case first not what their color is and start assuming because one of the parties involved is of a different color or nationality it's automatically about race and nothing else. BTW, if this had been a white guy and a black girl, Jesse jackson and Al Sharpton along with the hate group NAACP would have been demanding that the white guy go to jail, you know it as well as I do.

cmore925

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the bottom line is that all people want equal justice for all. America is not built on equality. It is built on economics. Who ever has the most will be treated the best. On November 2, 2007, there will be a national spending boycott from the black community. If that does not gain the attention of the country that we want equal treatment. Then longer boycotts will be put in place. Black people spend over 800 billion a year in America. It is time to make a change. Next Friday is National Blackout Day in America.

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR VIEWS OF PEOPLE IN GENERAL, STOP BELIEVING WHAT YOU SEE ON TELEVISION. GET TO KNOW PEOPLE FOR WHO THEY ARE AND NOT FOR WHAT YOU SEE ON TV. THERE ARE PLENTY OF CRAZY PEOPLE OUT THERE, NO MATTER THE COLOR.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
If she had anything to drink, it wasn't consensual. Lastly, the fact that she didn't want to proceed with the case doesn't mean much. That is very common in rape cases...

It was neither a case of rape nor statutory rape.
The sex was consensual sex between two minors, which the girl confirmed. Yet the prosecution decided to try Wilson as an adult when he reached the age of 18 and apply a law to him that was meant for the case of an adult in the same situation.

braumeister

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What they don't tell you is that it was the white girls parents who took him to court, not the girl.

I am not a lawyer.

However, I know that American criminal law does not work the way you think it does. The parents don't take the guy she blows to court, the prosecuter (County Attorney, District Attorney, State's Attorney, whatever the state you're in happens to call it) makes the decision. The girl's family legally has no say in the matter (i.e. does it go to court or not) once it has been reported to the police. Even if they refuse to cooperate or testify, the prosecutor can still continue with the case. Most times they won't because the lack of cooperation cripples the case, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

The girl doesn't matter really. She's a minor (I'm assuming she hasn't been emancipated, which seems like a reasonable assumption given what I've read about the case) and as such her parents will speak for her, whether or not she likes it.

Having said all that, I think the law Wilson was accused and convicted of violating is a stupid one. The existence of the law (and the fact that the girl is a minor until age 18, regardless of how responsible or mature or not responsible or immature she is) is another symptom of the American desire to put off the process of growing up as long as possible.

If I was on the jury, I would not have voted to convict Wilson.

As for the claims of racism, I'd like to point out that Georgia's Attorney General, who tried to keep Wilson in jail, looks black to me:

georgia.gov - Office of Attorney General of Georgia

cmore925

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
It doesn't matter if you think certain groups, like others, are suspected of being terrorists moreso than others. I would argue that search techniques should be more uniform in nature. That's why I mentioned my own disparate experiences at Heathrow as a Black American visitor to England. In 2000, I was in the "suspect" profile of a young, single, Black male who, despite his professional appearance and credentials, was questioned because I may be that profile Carribean drug smuggler (or something like that). Then, in 2003, after 9/11/2001 happened, and the Black/Afro-Carribean drug smuggler was no longer public enemy #1, I was left in peace. It's de-humanzing to be profiled on a circumstantial basis such as cultural background or skin color.

How would you like it it, for example, if we were traveling to China and had to pass through Chinese customs and you were profiled? Let's say that you were "profiled" by the Chinese authorities because you speak English with a melodious cadence, and they suspect you of being another troublesome Aussie. I, on the other hand, pass through Chinese customs w/o harassment because Black people aren't perceived as "problems" in China. You would be displeased with your detainment by a wrongful association with being a criminal Aussie when, in fact, you are a UK citizen... To the Chinese, you are just another White person who speaks non-American English. To them,you are probably just another criminal Aussie traveler.

Personally, I really wouldn't care. If I get back to the queue in time and get into the country without any trouble then it really doesn't matter.

You seem to be in a very minute minority here.