Gender and Race Questions on Applications

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by datdude, Oct 7, 2007.

1. datdude

datdude New Member

Been applying for jobs lately. Always good to have options in your life and my current job there is not much room for advancement.

One thing I hate is the gender and race questions on all applications.
    I know places want diversity and thats a good thing.
    Dont the gender and race questions discrminate though? Just by marking them you could be passed over. If they have to many of one and you happen to be one than you could be passed over no matter of your qaulifcations.

If they dont play a role as they state than why are they there?

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I could very well be incorrect, but as far as I'm aware, those aren't required to fill in. I remember that on the applications I had filled out, there was always a separate page for that info, and it was completely optional.

3. datdude

datdude New Member

Some say you dont have to enter them, some dont. Why should they be there in the first place though?

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

They are there so that the Equal Opportunities Council, or similar body, can look at a company's employment history.

For example XYZ Inc. had 50 applications for a job from women and 5 from men, but interviewed the men only.

It is there for the protection of "minorities". In the UK at least. I don't think you have to fill it in if you don't wish.

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

As others have stated, it's optional and there mostly as a paper trail in case of lawsuits alleging patterned discrimination in hiring practices.

6. whatireallywant

Gold Member

From what I've gathered, it is the same in the US. I sometimes wonder if I should answer those questions. I don't mind answering the race/ethnicity one, but the gender one I'm not so sure. They could be looking for diversity candidates and it would be to my advantage, but I've also almost been told "We don't hire women for that job" before! :eek: They go about it kind of subtly so I won't go to the EEOC about it, but it's happened. And now I have another issue in looking for a job, since I am now over 40 and there is sometimes age discrimination. Fortunately I look younger than my age so if I don't tell them, they may not guess and I may be not as likely to be discriminated against.

7. datdude

datdude New Member

Never new about court cases and that makes sense.
    I just feel like I could be overlooked by answering or not answering these questions.

8. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    ANy legally well-grounded company will explicitly state that reporting ethnicity is optional on an application form. A reputable company will also disclose that such statistics are compiled for the federal government and EEOC purposes only.

9. whatireallywant

Gold Member

That's what I've seen on forms that have these questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted