Gender indentification

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have come across the unconfortable situation of not knowing how to address, or, interpret the replies some members post, because they have no gender in their profile and in their description right next to the post.
I am not talking about orientation, but gender.Replies can be extrapolated from the gender of the poster. Without that information, it is not understandable and the appropiate reply is not easy to construct.
What are your views on this, should it be a requisite at time of signing in, to select gender? I understand sexual preference is private information to those that decide not to post it. But gender is public information.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't see what knowing someone's gender or sexual orientation has to do with responding to a post on this board. Certainly other sites don't require you to identify as such.

Many of us chose to deselect gender because we did not want our posts labeled with blue or pink. I especially understood the women's concerns since (a) there are so few real ones here and (b) they tend to get inundated with PMs and what not.

Thus far, the site owner has not decided to make any feilds mandatory upon registration.

I hope my gender is fairly obvious: GAY.

WAIT...

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
pichulon said:
I have come across the unconfortable situation of not knowing how to address, or, interpret the replies some members post, because they have no gender in their profile and in their description right next to the post.
I am not talking about orientation, but gender.Replies can be extrapolated from the gender of the poster. Without that information, it is not understandable and the appropiate reply is not easy to construct.
What are your views on this, should it be a requisite at time of signing in, to select gender? I understand sexual preference is private information to those that decide not to post it. But gender is public information.

If someone decides they do not wish to publish their gender then I feel that they should have the right not to.

I cannot think of a situation on here where I would be uncomfortable replying to a post when I did not know the gender of the poster.

If you were presented with that situation why not simply ask the member their gender. If they did not wish to tell you then just don't reply.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
pichulon said:
But gender is public information.
You are kidding, right?

When you're on the internet honeybun, the only thing that's public is your IP address.

pichulon said:
What are your views on this, should it be a requisite at time of signing in, to select gender?
My personal views: absolutely not! Some people like to be anonymous on the internet and that's perfectly fine. Furthermore, I'm also in total disagreement because the things I say to a person are seldom affected by what gender they are...

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
pichulon said:

All the above applies only if you are trying to interpret replies according to your own gender-based prejudices, rather than on the basis of their content. Try killing a pigeonhole today! :rolleyes:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
pichulon said:

I love that you have nothing to go on. You may learn something now. Fucks with your reality huh?:tongue:
Without that information, it is not understandable and the appropiate reply is not easy to construct.

It's perfectly 'understandable' for those of us who find gender less vital for personal connection than you do.

What are your views on this, should it be a requisite at time of signing in, to select gender?

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I understand sexual preference is private information to those that decide not to post it.

But dontcha kinda wish they would so you'd know? :33:

But gender is public information.

Not if they dun wanna tell ya!:cool:

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Personally I think it should be mandatory so that I know who do inundate with PM's.:wink:

Actually, I really don't think it matters. Part of me understands; in real life I tend to treat men and women differently and use different tones/actions (yes, I am guilty of gender bias and stereotyping.) However, on the net it matters less to me for a few reasons.

1.They may have lied anyhow.
2. Communication on the web is strictly words. I am not going to change my opinion or the words I use based on who I am talking to.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pitchulon

it should not matter. nueter your prejudices based on gender.

(forget about pre-judging what you might say differently to a man or woman)

try to post clearly and respectfully and men and women may have an easier time understanding you.

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rawbone8 said:
Pitchulon

it should not matter. nueter your prejudices based on gender.

(forget about pre-judging what you might say differently to a man or woman)

try to post clearly and respectfully and men and women may have an easier time understanding you.

Sarcasm aside, I do respond with a different tone to women and to men . It is not a prejudice thing. If you want to tell some information to a female coworker, and a male co worker, you well now ( at least from my hetero experience, I can not talk for other groups) you express yourself differently.
It is natural, not bigotry of any kind.
Also, some posts by members without a gender ( not all, some ) appear to be difficult to decode, again, it is nature. In real life, voice and gender give s you all that information ahead of time, here in the net, without that presentation, those posters, and only those ( not all) that are not easily understaood as female or male, make it somewhat difficult to envision.

It is not a subject of material importance, but it is something to look into. Some times, like in questions about preferences and stuff, it is good to know, if the response comes from a male or a female, and , if we can also know if it comes from a male heterosexual, or a male homosexual, or a male bisexual, or a female heterozsexual, or a female homosexual, that information in itslef adds to the reply.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
pichulon said:
Sarcasm aside, I do respond with a different tone to women and to men . It is not a prejudice thing. If you want to tell some information to a female coworker, and a male co worker, you well now ( at least from my hetero experience, I can not talk for other groups) you express yourself differently.
Also, some posts by members without a gender ( not all, some ) appear to be difficult to decode, again, it is nature. In real life, voice and gender give s you all that information ahead of time, here in the net, without that presentation, those posters, and only those ( not all) that are not easily understaood as female or male, make it somewhat difficult to envision.

It is not a subject of material importance, but it is something to look into. Some times, like in questions about preferences and stuff, it is good to know, if the response comes from a male or a female, and , if we can also know if it comes from a male heterosexual, or a male homosexual, or a male bisexual, or a female heterozsexual, or a female homosexual, that information in itslef adds to the reply.
I am heterosexual (with almost 50 years of practice too!!!:tongue:) and I can state categorically that ALL women understand me as well as men do, or misunderstand me to the same extent, without me needing to change my mode of expression toward their sex. I also find that children can understand me without "talking down" to them, with the obvious exception of advanced vocabulary and experiences beyond them.

"Pre-judging" is what I tried to highlight in the literal definition of the term prejudice. It's unnecessary to prejudge how one should address someone based on their sex. Are you concerned you are going to offend them? Insult them? Invite their unwanted advances? Is it an archaic form of chivalry that you feel is needed to address women when you change voices? What? Because I don't "well know" what you express differently.

I did not imply that you are a bigot. I mean that one does not need to change anything to speak coherently to either sex.

ps: I don't understand what you meant when you wrote "sarcasm aside". There is none in my message.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
pichulon said:

Dear God you're totally fucked. You're hopeless and sad and I think either you have an extremely low IQ or you didn't bond well enough when you were being raised cuz dude? Your shit is messed up.:rolleyes:

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stronzo said:
Dear God you're totally fucked. You're hopeless and sad and I think either you have an extremely low IQ or you didn't bond well enough when you were being raised cuz dude? Your shit is messed up.:rolleyes:

I do not think that is the case at all.
You have to accept our different frames of mind. The more you deny a straight man thinks diferently than a gay man, the more difficult it will be for your subjective point of view to understand others. I am not the only one telling you so, Dongalong, nineinchcock, etc etc etc have pointed out this flaw in your outlook and judgement.

I am not going to argue, there is no point, I accept your limitations.:cool:

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
pichulon said:
Sarcasm aside, I do respond with a different tone to women and to men.

This is pretty interesting. It makes me realize I make a conscious decision not to talk to women differently than I do to men. I figure I am accountable for treating both as equals. But I do speak differently to teenagers than to 50 yr olds. How old are you?

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mkymkus said:
This is pretty interesting. It makes me realize I make a conscious decision not to talk to women differently than I do to men. I figure I am accountable for treating both as equals. But I do speak differently to teenagers than to 50 yr olds. How old are you?

I treat them both as equals, but, perhaps is my personality, I like to flirt and be more fun towards women, I do not talk to men the same way.
Respect wise, it is the same. I approach women in a different way, and I am sure I am not alone in this one.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
pichulon said:
I treat them both as equals, but, perhaps is my personality, I like to flirt and be more fun towards women, I do not talk to men the same way.
Respect wise, it is the same. I approach women in a different way, and I am sure I am not alone in this one.

what about work?