Gene for Dog Fur Color Found

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hypoc8, Nov 3, 2007.

1. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Boy, I'll sleep real good tonight knowing they've crack this one. I wonder how much money was wasted on this crap. Big deal, now you know why sparky's a certain color. Next they'll tell us they know why he drags his ass across the floor.
    Want to impress me, find the cure for cancer or aids are some other disease or illness, what good is dog fur color going to do anyone?

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Phew that's a weight off my mind, it was keeping me awake wondering if they were ever going to find the gene for dog fur colour.

3. viking1

Gold Member

I'm waiting for them to find the penis size gene. Just in case I ever father any male children. I'll have it genetically altered so they will be big. I want them to have every advantage they possibly can...

4. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Genetic coding is complex and difficult to understand. When we gain a scientific understanding of something that seems as mundane as the loci of fur color on the chromosome of a dog, it opens doors for discovering more important things, like the loci of a gene that turns off cancer suppression in the macrophages of healthy human beings.

I wonder if you would have a similar flippant disdain for the discovery of hereditary trace-ability of flower color in peas. It doesn't sound very important, but it's how all this talk of "genes" got started in the first place.

5. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    I always wanted to know how to breed Purple and Lime Green dogs! Oh joy!

._.;

6. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Did you know that Ploar Bears are not white...

"polar bears have a thick fur coat that appears white in coloration, but is really translucent. Their black skin color is readily apparent on the nose, eyes, lips and footpads"

7. JustAsking

Gold Member

Actually, I don't want to impress you. Comments like this undermine the public's confidence in science, which in turn affects public policy for funding fundamental research, such as genetics.

Thanks for doing your little bit to prevent a cure for cancer. Every little bit helps.

Did it ever occur to you that work like what you cited above hones the tools that geneticists use? DNA is like a big jigsaw puzzle. If you are mapping the genome of an organism, identifying the purpose of any gene, no matter how trivial, means you can move on to the next gene, which might be a very important one.

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Thank you. One small step this way can make waves in human research.

9. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Wow, I didn't know I had such super powers, I've single handedly prevented the cure for cancer. Jeez...I'm out of control.
    Next I'll be accused of ending the world as we know it.

10. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Who accused you of that?

11. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    As a genetic scientist working on cancer, I don't think that the small group that found the gene responsible for dog fur color would have been the key element that allowed us to cure cancer.

I also don't think belittling their work is really reasonable unless you yourself are a scientist working on curing cancer/AIDs/etc. And if you were such a scientist, as I am, you'd probably have a better comprehension for why basic research is still important and relevant.

Anyhow, I'd like a purple cocker spaniel, please. :smile:

12. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Dogs drag their asses on the floor to drain their anal sacs. :smile: Just so ya know.

13. snoozan

Gold Member

I love you. But you knew that.

I love you too.

And you, too. By the way, how is that gigantic arm of yours that makes you move about like a fiddler crab?

14. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oiled up and ready for whatever life throws its way, dear. Thanks for asking. <3

15. JustAsking

Gold Member

hypo,
    I am a little touchy about this, you see. I live in a state where Creationists want to take over the science curriculum. What's worse, legislation is constantly being proposed in at least 20 states for this kind of thing. It has made me pretty cranky when people disparage science. I am cranky because this culture war on science is actually working.

I did. Anti-science sentiments are so prevalent now that public policy is being affected. Comments like this are as destructive as seemingly innocuous racist jokes.

I do apologize to hypo, though. I might be reading too much into hypo's comment.
    (Looks down at moving foot self consciously, red face, etc)

16. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honestly, if America won't invest in science, there are plenty of other countries we scientists can go to that will. And those countries will reap the benefit.

And I do so love living abroad. No joke. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted