Geneology

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hotbtminla, Mar 25, 2008.

1. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amusing/interesting AP story today on tracing the bloodlines of the 3 Presidential candidates.

The Associated Press: Obama Related to Pitt, Clinton to Jolie

Anybody have someone notable in their distant family trees that they know of?

I'm too much of a math moron to figure out sixth cousins once removed, though from what I understand I'm 3rd or 4th cousins with Mark Wahlberg and have some blood-connection to South American revolutionary Bernardo O'Higgins. Go me!

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I don't know of anyone famous that I'm related to, but that was kinda cool to read.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Daniel Boone

4. hottcjimmyv

hottcjimmyv Member

Albums:
    Supposedly Henry II through one of the many many many bastards he sired, so I think I can still nail Prince Harry and it technically doesn't count as incest! Woohoo!

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    My mother has published several genealogy books. According to her research I'm Prince Charle's cousin 27 times removed.

And still, no tiara.

6. wi_sugargrl

wi_sugargrl New Member

Albums:
    If "the legend" is true (meaning I have all of my links correct which I doubt), then I'm Queen Elizabeth II's 22nd cousin once removed (my common ancestor would have been Edward I). Then with that connection I would be descended from everyone - William the Conqueror, Charlemagne, etc.

Closer to today's times, nobody really famous. I have 7 Revolutionary War ancestors however. If you haven't already guessed - I'm really into genealogy :rolleyes:- it's a kind of sickness LOL.

Sugar

7. B_Demention

B_Demention New Member

It's interesting stuff all right. I am in fact directly related to this guy:

Abel Tasman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The Tasman surname is all throughout my family and my grandparents are from the very same town as him. Nothing too glamarous, but it is a very direct bloodline.

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I'm also related to Daniel Boone...so I might be related to Pecker, too. :biggrin1:

9. wi_sugargrl

wi_sugargrl New Member

Albums:
    Well, you're most definately cousins!

10. wi_sugargrl

wi_sugargrl New Member

Albums:
    Cool - do you have your direct line back to him? I looked at the GenForum for the Tasman name and there's not much there.

Sugar

11. simcha

Gold Member

I'm related to Ben Franklin... Direct lineage. Of course, there are thousands of us who are related to Ben Franklin by direct lineage in Britain, France, and here in the USA.

12. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    And Gillette and hottcjimmyv would be related as well, what being royals and all... hmm, this might turn out to be an even more interesting thread than I thought!

Oh Slant, you devil you. :sgrin:

13. wi_sugargrl

wi_sugargrl New Member

Albums:
    Hey what about me? Actually, if you think about it, we're all related. Twisted isn't it! :biggrin1:

14. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
  15. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    That shit is hilarious!!! 27th and 22nd cousins once removed, Daniel Boone, Ben Franklin. I usually find that most people's genealogies are filled with errors and are more based on self importance than actual facts. You guys might want to do some more unbiased research into the subject... 27th and 22nd cousins once removed is laughable. You guys might be legit, but the chances are not in your favor... most everyone that lives in the U.S. are descended from ordinary serfs and common folk.

16. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, this shit is hilarious because none of us take this to mean much of anything. My 27 times removed means that I stand to inherit a title sometime after the entire population of Great Britain expires.

There's no self importance going on, hun. I doubt any of us takes ourselves more seriously because someone noteworthy is hanging off a branch of our family tree somewhere. My mother also mentioned a connection to Isaac Newton. Doesn't mean I have any special knowledge of apples or gravity.

What you say about serfs and common folk founding the US may be true, but keep in mind some serfs were bastard children of nobility.

Lighten up. These noteworthy links mean less to most of us than 0.05 inches in length would.

17. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    To lighten up has been my problem since as far back as I can remember... I guess that I was born a curmudgeon. I understand that you aren't even American, being from Nova Scotia increases the likelihood that your sources are legit. Serf and bastard children of nobility should have absolutely no record of their lineage except for the handed down, verbal kind.

My stepmother was totally into genealogy and got me into my own family tree. She traced hers back to the 1500's with all sorts of nobility and interesting connections only to take a DNA test and find out that she is NOT a blood member of her family. Someone was adopted or was posing as having her particular surname. To this day, her genealogy still contains the same info and she pretends like she is still a blood member of that family even though she isn't.

People need to do their genealogy going backwards, not by finding someone that you want to be connected to and then trying to bridge the gap by going forwards.

I have done my genealogy and everything stops after the boat trip to the America's. Unless I see the ship's manifest or passenger list with my own eyes, I won't believe a damn thing about what any genealogist says about the history of my particular family tree. As far as I can tell, there are VERY few ship's passenger list's that have survived.

Have you seen the passenger list from your ancestor's boat ride to Nova Scotia? If your mom wrote a book, I am sure that she must have seen it. How did she get a hold of that record?

My family tree stops about where my fellow African American brothers and sisters do.

18. B_becominghorse

B_becominghorse New Member

Maybe, but more interesting still are the Royal Bastards who had it LUXE at Louis XIV's court. The Duc du Maine, Duc d'Orleans, and they were very often very devious pricks who did a lot of conspiracy like all the best indolent courtiers do. Louis XIV was, according to St.-Simon's memoirs, found to have a rectum twice the size of a 'normal man.' I bet it was pungent too! :tongue:

Despite my ongoing grandiosity, I cannot claim to be Queen Elizabeth's cousin even though I do find this is the most frequently attractive famous person to claim kiinship with--and understandably so: She is so cool and good at the job that I have never been able not to admire her greatly. She makes the rest of the family look like amateurs (even her 'beloved mother' wasn't so cool and salty.)

Just read tripod's last post after posting above. One part of my family tree has been traced back to England, but it was one of the Welsh parts, because the name was Welsh and the side of the current family was also Welsh, but with a different name. One other strain was researched, but it broke off, but had also originally come from an English-named family in Bournemouth. But they never fixed it, and I have no interest in labouring at such things when there is fucking to do.

19. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Painstakingly.

She spends oodles of time in old libraries that have nothing but birth and death records, plus traveling to Scotland, Wales ("Oh, you're an Evans! Not too many of those around here.:rolleyes:) and Ireland. She spent two weeks at Trinity College last summer digging for info.

I might actually be interested in this stuff if I hadn't been bored to tears as a child being dragged from graveyard to graveyard collecting information from headstones.

I'm not going to waste any time so I can claim some dubious pride from a distantly peripheral connection. But I'm not going to question my mother's dedication to getting it done right. She's been doing this longer than I've been alive.

Short version. Watch what you say about my mama. :wink:

20. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, look at it this way. At least some of you guys can envision, in obviously silly, far-reaching terms, a family reunion presided over by the Queen of England. :cool:

The best I can hope for (as far as I know) is a former rapper and underwear model. :redface:

Sigh. Story of my life, literally. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted