General Anaesthetic

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Can someone please help me.

I've never had a general anaesthetic before.

I think I have a small femoral hernia and all my research shows it's only a short day Op. but it requires a general anaesthetic.

I'm terrified I will be one of the few people you gets paralyzed under general anaesthetic and feels everything under surgery but just can move while it's all happening.

I'm working myself up really badly and I haven't made it as far as the doctors yet.

Can anyone offer my their experiences of general anaesthetics please? Or has anyone here had a femoral hernia?

One frightened Pup here, x

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've been under general four times...psychologically, the resulting fugue is a little disconcerting for a while. Physically, the anaesthesia didn't bother me. I think you're worrying too much.

visualalert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've only experienced it as a kid when I had my tonsils out. I remember crying as they put this cone over my face and told me I was about to get a hit of "Mickey Mouse Perfume." I guess I must have been really scared to still remember that.

I would tell your doc about your anxiety and tell him you want some meds to take the edge off. A one-time prescription for Xanax or something that you could start taking before the big event would help you a lot and remember that you're the client...insist on it.

Of course you know (or can easily find out) the odds...you will be fine. But objectively knowing there's practically zero chance of trouble isn't enough if you have a lot of anxiety about it (I have some anxiety issues myself and am on Zoloft with an "emergency" stash of Xanax that I can call on if needed). Get yourself some meds to get through this, seriously. They are doing wonderfully helpful things with chemicals these days!

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
I just recently had an abdominal hernia repair. The anesthesiologist was most helpful in explaining exactly what he was doing and what to expect. You should have or should have been reviewed by an anesthesiologist. They have to take their own history and physical to make sure they get their dosage/mixture correct.

I myself always became nauseated when waking up from anesthesia. I have been under 4 times. I told the anesthesiologist my concern and they ran anti-nausea medication in my IV bag so I would not be sick to my stomach.

First they gave me a shot to relax me, by the time I got to surgery I was relaxed but not sleep. Then they put the mask on, told me to count to 10. I never make it to the end of my counting before I am completely asleep. I cannot remember a thing that happened after that....thank goodness.

You may feel a little disoriented and a little groggy after waking up. Afterwards that goes away in a few hours.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your surgery, and a speedy recovery.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
Express your concerns and fears to your doc......I have been under the knife and completely out more times then I care to remember. As previously mentioned...if you are extremely nervous...have them give you a shot to relax you before undergoing the anesthesia. If they do it, you will not even care what they do to you.....

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I think I have a small femoral hernia and all my research shows it's only a short day Op. but it requires a general anaesthetic.

I'm terrified I will be one of the few people you gets paralyzed under general anaesthetic and feels everything under surgery but just can move while it's all happening.

I'm working myself up really badly and I haven't made it as far as the doctors yet.

Can anyone offer my their experiences of general anaesthetics please? Or has anyone here had a femoral hernia?

I had that same exact surgery in October. I've had general anethesia many times. They wheel you into the OR and the next thing you know you're in recovery, a little confused. I too was wooried about being awake during the surgery. So here is what I do whenever going under general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist always comes in to talk to you right before the surgery. Here is what you need to say to him.Write it down and prcatice so you won't forget. Say:
I saw this TV show about something called "intra-operative" wakefulness and it has me scared to death. What are you going to do to make sure it doesn't happen to me?

That way you've put him on notice and you've put a bug in his ear. He'll take care of you. If YOU bring it up, it will be on HIS mind. But don't worry too much. I'm a registered nurse and can tell you it's an exceedingly rare phenomena. Your surgery will take all of 45 minutes!

Absolutely talk to the anesthesiologist beforehand!

They are the single most important physicians in your care team. They run the show because more than any other doctor there, your life is in their hands. Anxiety can cause abnormally high blood pressure readings and interfere with your anesthesia and your healing.

Before you go in they generally give you an anti-anxiety medication and then a shot in the ass. By the time you get wheeled into surgery you should be pretty groggy though you may not feel it.

All of your concerns should be discussed with your anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Let your operating physician and the nursing staff know your concerns as well. The more they know about you, the better care you will receive.

You live in a first world country with modern health care system. You should have nothing to worry about but certainly express all your concerns and don't stop asking until your mind is at ease. If someone gives you an answer and you're still anxious, speak up! You're entrusting these people with your life and they should be willing to answer anything to your satisfaction. If you interview the various people and determine you don't trust them, then find another doctor. Simple as that.

It's not so bad pup, I've done it and it was a piece of cake. Walked out the next day and went to a Broadway show. Sadly, that show was Cats so it sucked, but I think it illustrates the point.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Rugbypup, I think what you're concerned about happens but is very very rare.
Mind you, that doesn't make the anxiety disappear.
I've been completely under, oh, perhaps ten times, and it's never really been a problem.
But surely you should do as so many others have advised and discuss this with the anesthetist. That will probably deflate the anxiety quite a bit.
(One thing, though: It's traditional when a male patient is under general anesthetic to pull back the covers, open the gown, and let everyone in the OR pull on the patient's little pipi. Does no harm at all, and everyone washes, gets sterile, before continuing with the operation. Forgive me for telling tales out of school or for boring you with something you already knew.)

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I was worried about it too. I had said goodbye to all my friends the night before... got high (which was stupid)... went into surgery for 8am the next morning.. I was fine.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Had general anesthesia for laparoscopic surgery. No big deal. I was nauseous when I awoke but that passed after a few minutes. All I remember was counting "10, 9..." I was a bit worried before the surgery but I spoke directly with the anesthesiologist who explained the procedure to me and made me feel more at ease.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I've been under general 3 times - it was fine - going under is not at all scarey, the anesthesiologist in each case was talking away to me as I went under and it was all very calm and nice. In all three cases I was given a little injection and asked to count backwards from 10 - over the course of ten-nine-eight I felt like nothing was happening then on seven I fell through the table. I don't know about anyone else - but that is what it felt like to me - a sudden (but gentle) falling away from the people around the table - like Alice falling down the rabbit hole. I was a little taken aback the first time but of course I didn't have time to freak because I was unconscious :biggrin: The 2nd 2 times I was prepared for it and actually enjoyed it.

I never had any problems recovering from those anesthetics either, slight groginess that lifted quickly, no side effects, nausea or anything like that. In two of the three ops I was under for about 20 - 30mins and in the other it was more like an hour.

I had a hell of a time after a high and heavy epidural anesthetic, not with getting sensation back but with nausea and disorientation standing up and sitting down. But that is a completely different thing.

But mainly, listen to Indie - he knows what he is talking about. The odds of you experiencing "intra-operative" wakefullness are miniscule. You'll be fine, get yourself fixed up, pup.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been through it 3X - twice for abdominal hernia & once for appendectomy.
The anaesthesia is blissful. Doctor fiddles around with Your IV...tells You to count backward from 100. You get to about 94, then... Next thing You know You're in the recovery room waking up. It's not like sleep. There's no dreaming - no hearing - no sense of feeling - no sense of time. Just lights out. Then (seemingly moments later) back on.
The anaesthesia isn't the prob. I'm gonna tell You what nobody bothered to tell me before my first surgery: It's the post-op that's the betch. The pain & soreness You experience afterwards is gruesome. Just trying to stand and walk for the first time after surgery feels like living hell. God help You if You have to take a crap or if someone makes You laugh for the first few days after an operation - LOL!
Bottom line - I'm still here. And You will be too after it's over.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
These days, a lot of smaller surgeries are done with conscious sedation in which they put you in lalaland but can still respond to commands such as to roll over. Once you are nice a chilled out, they inject the area to be treated with local anesthetic, such as lidocaine. When this is medically acceptable, it is my preference because I always have trouble peeing for about twenty-four hours after general.
LIke they said, dicuss your concerns with the physicn administering anasthesia, assuming you actually need surgery. You may not.
Dave

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Aww, don't be scared RugbyPup. Previous posters are correct, express your concerns to your doctor a few days prior to the surgery. If possible speak to the anesthesiologist as well.

While I have never had any hernia surgery, I have had 3 surgerys which required general anesthesia. I have never had any complications or nausea post-op.

On a side note how did you get a hernia? :confused: Have you been barking at the moon all night again?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
and if you say OWIE really loud as you clutch your belly they will give you LOTS

I was given the 'button machine' (as I called it) once - you know the thing - where you get to top up your own morphine (or whatever - my case morphine) within safe limits when you feel you need it.

I took that baby to the limits, I can tell you! :biggrin1: