Generalizations seems to be a sign of insecurity; women, do you pick up on this fact?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mitchsugg, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mitchsugg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We all can tell that shooting others down by making generalizations about their particular group regarding an unknown quality about them specifically is a sign of one's own insecurity in the matter.

But, it seems that making positive generalizations about one's own group regarding certain qualities, unless contributing to a strictly objective discussion, where valid evidence is required to make it such, is most frequently used to publicly associate one's self with the generalization when one knows they lack the said qualities.

Of course, an appropriate example is penis size, although these compensating generalizations are made for all qualities in life. My past girlfriend, as well as my current one, said that the only black guys they were with or only saw that ever bragged about how black guys are assumed to be larger were either small or medium in size themselves.

Whites are guilty of this tactic as well, of course. Although they seem to break it down to their specific national heritage, namely French and Italian.

I'm the biggest either of my girlfriends have ever seen, so I have no worries about this issue, but the presence of these stereotypes has always bothered me, as it would seem that if women bought into these stereotypes, they would underestimate their potential sexual satisfaction with me in a relationship, hence lessening my chance to get with a girl.

So, my question is, women, do you pick up on the fact that men who brag about the size of their penis based on their race or nationality, or anything else based some sort of arbitrary category with which they are associated is a sign that they lack those specific qualities? Also, is it clear that guys who don't brag are more secure and more likely possess these qualities, when they specifically come up, than those who do?

I'd appreciate your input, ladies. Thank you.

#1 mitchsugg, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

I am a guy, but are you sure you're not generalizing?

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

All women pick up on that fact.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

IMHO, generalizations indicate a lack of knowledge, rather than being a sign of insecurity.

5. mitchsugg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It may have sounded that way. I assume you mean that I may be generalizing the motive behind anyone who recognizes validity in a stereotype. But I was specifically focusing on instances in which an individual is bragging, which is clearly tied to one's ego.

There are cases other than bragging or practical discussion, such as compliment fishing, in which one would seem to openly accept a stereotype degrading to one's self, attempting to receive a refuting response from the opposite party.

So, just to be clear, I am only focusing on instances in which someone is directly attempting to boost their own status.

6. mitchsugg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well of course ignorance would relate to accepting an inaccurate stereotype, but I'm speaking of a case in which someone actively promotes one. Unless someone is fishing for compliments, like I addressed above, they would not want to promote a self-degrading stereotype, even if they did subscribe to it due to ignorance.

7. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Not many things in this world are perfectly blank and white as far as what is wrong/right, good/bad etc. So there are very few times you can make a statement without generalizing otherwise someone will butt in and tell you how wrong you are

8. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

That's an interesting generalization.

Look, folks... The question itself is a generalization... EVERY answer posted has been another generalization.

Generalizing is Seeking PATTERNS in the deluge of information.

In a central sense... Thinking can be seen as merely generalizing meaning out of noise. Quantum Mechanics, as precise as it is, is a generalization of observation... as are ALL scientific theories.
    2 plus 2 always equalling 4 is also a generalization.

Generalizing is how we make sense of experience.

People who DON'T generalize, don't exist.

9. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

They only reason people get pissed about stereotyping is when you don't stereotype them the way they WANT to be stereotyped.Gangbangers WANT you to assume they are dangerous... Preppie BEEMER drivers WANT you to assume they are financially successful...
    EVERYONE brands themselves, one way or another.

That's why brand names sell.

Stereotypes and generalizations are SHORTHAND... a placeholder you have ion your mind until more concrete information is gathered.

I assume most black people are touchy about certain racial things, like the N word... until I find out they are not, because MOST of the time, they are.

That is not a lack of intelligence...
    That is paying attention.

NOBODY thinks generalizations nor stereotypes are cut in stone.

They are, by definition, rough approximations subject to revision.

10. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:

I actually thought this was a joke.

11. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    well you would cuz' your'e hetero.
    hetero people always think everything is a joke.
    life is NOT a bowl of cherries.
    god hetero people i swear.

Draft saved Draft deleted