Generational differences

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Millenial Generation and The Baby Boomers

I know some business leaders and consultants who really believe in this. They hire based on these sorts of models.

I am a baby boomer and lot of that description rings true to me. I crossed the certain income barrier this last year and I kinda feel I finally made it although by any measure i had *made* it long ago. But that had been a goal I set. Now that I hit it its like *Whats the next challenge?*

Do you find yourself following the generational outlines the article frames?

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
"They'll do the minimum required to get they're specific task done, but won't submit to team Boomer peer pressure to do more as a Boomer would, or to help others on the team as a Boomer would do to "git 'er done." For a Millenial, when their specific portion of work is done, It's time to have fun."

With my experience in the workplace, those roles are typically switched. The middle-aged guys are a pain in the ass to work with and won't pull their weight.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
id say a lot of the stuff in that article is accurate, but it is definately underestimating my generation and giving baby boomers a lot of underserved credit. wasn't the priority for college kids in the 60's and 70's to "find yourself and focus on making your life as pleasant as possible, regardless of income"? well, for us, our priority is money, and believe me, it isn't our fault. true, my life goal is to secure enough assets for myself and my family as quickly as possible so i can retire and enjoy as much of life as possible, but who wants to spend 3/4 of their life working anyways? and the pressures from society that my generation faces far outweigh the pressures baby boomers had to face. the majority of us Milleniumars, or whatever you what to call us, are forced into thinking about money all of the time because of the outstanding laws and regualtions baby boomers have set up. i don't make minimum wage, but if i did like MANY of us do, i honestly do not see how i would still be alive. having to devote almost your whole life to something you'd rather not be doing, only to end up with nothing in the end, seems a little unhuman to me. call me crazy, but i'd be happy with "just living", as long as i can get out of kansas.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If we are going to make silly generalizations about a large number of people based on their age range, then I prefer this article to the one the OP uses. As a Generation X'er and visual-spatial learner this one appeals to me more.

Which of the following means the most to you?
  • Elvis joins the Army.
  • Jimi Hendrix dies
  • MTV debuts.
  • Kurt Cobain dies.
Your answer, of course, depends on on your age—or more specifically, on the generation you belong to. While pop music milestones may not seem all that important, the sum total of experiences, ideas and values shared by people of different generations makes for a melting pot of work approaches and priorities. Once you understand where the newer generations are "coming from," as a Boomer (born 1946-1964) might say, it’s easy to target your mentoring style to bring out their strengths and make the most progress. Remember to discard biases and pre-conceived notions, and you and your mentees from all generations enjoy your generational differences—and similarities!

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol you're right, another bad article. hendrix means more to me than any of the others hands down, and he was dead before i was born...

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
weren't hippies the original slackers?

so much for the hard working baby boomer stereotype. honestly, as a gen-x er i try to avoid the self grandizements of the baby boomers as their culture has been shoved down our throats throughout my lifetime just because of their sheer numbers.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
weren't hippies the original slackers?

so much for the hard working baby boomer stereotype. honestly, as a gen-x er i try to avoid the self grandizements of the baby boomers as their culture has been shoved down our throats throughout my lifetime just because of their sheer numbers.

ya, but soon we get the last laugh...

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not exactly. They'll have the financial means to take care of themselves. Gen Xers are the first generation this century who, overall, aren't as financially successful as their parents.

totally agree with you, im just bored, fucking around, and not being serious. sometimes i forget how hard sarcasm is to detect online...

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
totally agree with you, im just bored, fucking around, and not being serious. sometimes i forget how hard sarcasm is to detect online...

Usually i'm quite good at catching it so I may not have read enough of your posts to know your style. My bad. :tongue:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A lot of older generation/younger generation generalizations. The attributes he gives for the 'boomer' generation used to be applied to the generation that went through the depression and WWII.

He probably writes horoscopes as well.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This first came to my attention, while bouncing a business idea off a consultant. He told me he manages his employees with a nod to this sort of generalization. I can say firsthand his results are off the chart accurate. His background is accounting and now he owns an oil, minerals and natural gas drilling firm that explores for deposits world wide. He knows shit about minerals but he knows how to hire and manage the best.

I then saw it in a sales article on how to *sell* to the different generations. People are making decisions based on this thinking, and having success doing it. It is simply a tool for getting better results, regardless of whether it is true or not.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This first came to my attention, while bouncing a business idea off a consultant. He told me he manages his employees with a nod to this sort of generalization. I can say firsthand his results are off the chart accurate. His background is accounting and now he owns an oil, minerals and natural gas drilling firm that explores for deposits world wide. He knows shit about minerals but he knows how to hire and manage the best.

I then saw it in a sales article on how to *sell* to the different generations. People are making decisions based on this thinking, and having success doing it. It is simply a tool for getting better results, regardless of whether it is true or not.

Profiling is a way of life in sales. That's not news. What's important is how you qualify that potential client based on that initial profiling. The firm I work for mainly targets people who are between 35-55 and make at least six figures per year. Most potential clients who do the initial investigation of our firm are women who will eventually bring their spouses in to review and/or approve the project. Same thing for managers who hire. First impressions get you in the door. How you manage to further impress them after that is up to you and who the company wants to represent them and the image they portray.