Genital Cysts: Male / Female

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
First off that should read Genital Cysts: male / Female, but I missed the damn "i"! Now it just looks like i ca't spell "gentle" LOL!

But seriously:

So I want to start a thread that addresses genital cysts that are not the result of STI's. I was recently diagnosed with one and am scheduled to have it excised in two weeks. But when I had first seen it (after a full STI panel that included a manual exam) I was freaked. Went to the docs and they said it was a cyst and not to worry and gave me some options.

When I was talking to friends both here and IRL (ugh I hat that term) I discovered that not only was I not alone in this, but that something like 90% of my friends, male, female, gay, bi, straight, have experienced this at least once (many have dealt with them a few times)

What struck me was that everyone said the same thing: They were freaked out, and no one seems to speak of this, even though once you share everyone chimes in.

So I want to start a thread that addresses this. After much deliberation (and bothering the mods for their opinion) I am posting it here, though it could be posted in "Women's Issues" as well. Per the advice of Nudeyorker, I have specified that this pertains to males and females. I have been advised not to post in both this forum and "Women's Issues" as there would be the likelihood that the two threads would be merged. This one may be rotated amidst both down the line, but we will see.

Course if any LPSG lady would want to post a similar thread for the women, I can't stop you :wink:

(I did do a search, by the way, but the four results that came up, well, one dealt with penile cancer, the other with pearly penile papules, and the two that were specifically about cysts were back in '09 and didn't address the women. I hope that this one will rectify that.)

So, how many of you have experienced this? How frequently? What were your first reactions when you saw a strange lump down there? Were the doctors competent in the diagnosis? What were your treatment options, and which did you try? Which ones worked?

I wasn't too surprised to see it, and after the initial freak out, I looked at it closer and thought, "Huh, this looks like the damn lip cyst I had" (for those of you not familiar with that particular adventure see here.)

So I am scheduled to see the dermatologist for treatment. Not looking forward to it being lanced, (please God, let there be no cauterization down there!) but will be happy to be rid of it.

I was told that I could wait (they sometimes spontaneously heal), try to pop it (tried and failed), or treat it with warm compresses or a heating pad for two to four times, 30 minutes a day (ummm, no), or have it removed surgically. Seeing as how the one on my lip didn't respond to anything (had that one for three months) I am going the surgical route.

From the looks of it, it looks like a sebaceous cyst, which would make sense as it is in a region of Fordyce Granules (sebaceous glnds not associated with a hair follicle, common on lips and genitals). The one on my lip was the same, but then was classified as a mucocele (cyst of the mucosal membrane) before the histopathology report came back. Based on the amount of capillaries they classified it as a capillary hemangioma (which is usually a benign tumor like a birthmark found on infants on their adbomen or eye orbits! How I got one is beyond me). No sign of cancerous cells however. Hoping it is less severe for this one. Cancer runs in both sides of my family, so there is some concern.

Hope this brings this condition into the light somewhat. I still find it strange that no one seems to discuss it, but when asked it seemed like damn near EVERYBODY had experienced one at some point. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

on the advice of sprinkleme69 i have altered my sig so that people can be alerted to this thread. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bam!! Women's issue sorted.

For Women: If it isn't an STD, it's probably from shaving or hormones around the time of your period.

The shaving can go for men, too. Art first I thought it was a case of folliculitis, but it looked diffrent (I have had folliculitis before, not on my peen, but on my balls, from shaving then, back in the day)

This time it is not that.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Cysts aren't the same as pimples, although they can look similar when they're small.

For Women: If it isn't an STD, it's probably from shaving or hormones around the time of your period.

In addition to these, there are a few other reasons cysts can appear. They can appear from applying too much pressure to the area. They can also appear 'just because' (ie. no known reason - particularly with Bartholin cysts). Sometimes there is an infection involved, sometimes there isn't.

Nico, I will write more tomorrow about my cyst stories, I promise :smile:.

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I had no idea, but I'm glad that you're expressing this. I'm sure that it's great to sorta clear your head with it, and bring it to light for others. Good thread!

shyyguy123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had like a pea sized one on my scrotum a few years back. I had it removed.

I have a very small one right under my circumcision scar right now. It's barely even noticeable but you can feel the lump and see the outline of the sac if you squeeze. Not too worried about having it removed since sebaceous cysts are harmless and I know that's what it is. Unless it gets a lot bigger and looks bad I probably won't mess with it.

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cysts aren't the same as pimples, although they can look similar when they're small.

In addition to these, there are a few other reasons cysts can appear. They can appear from applying too much pressure to the area. They can also appear 'just because' (ie. no known reason - particularly with Bartholin cysts). Sometimes there is an infection involved, sometimes there isn't.

I appreciate your sharing:biggrin1:. I think more people need to know. Mine might have been over indulgence in some rough jack off sessions that irratated an existing cyst. The only reason i am thinking of havingit exicised is the fat that it is getting larger (like the one on my lip did)

I had no idea, but I'm glad that you're expressing this. I'm sure that it's great to sorta clear your head with it, and bring it to light for others. Good thread!
Thank you Mr. Dante!:smile:I owe subgirrl a lot of the credit. She was the one who suggesed opening a thread. Prettyswinggirl seconded that motion when I last spoke with her. I believe in giving credit where credit is due:biggrin1:
I had like a pea sized one on my scrotum a few years back. I had it removed.

I have a very small one right under my circumcision scar right now. It's barely even noticeable but you can feel the lump and see the outline of the sac if you squeeze. Not too worried about having it removed since sebaceous cysts are harmless and I know that's what it is. Unless it gets a lot bigger and looks bad I probably won't mess with it.
See this is where i am now. I think it had been brewing for a bit, as i had noticed a tiny little lump every now and again, but couldn't see it yet. Then BLAM! there it was. And it has gotten larger, so, yeah, time for the dermatologist. I go in for a consult with him tomorrow.

Thank you for responding! :smile:

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The shaving can go for men, too. Art first I thought it was a case of folliculitis, but it looked diffrent (I have had folliculitis before, not on my peen, but on my balls, from shaving then, back in the day)

This time it is not that.

Yeah I only know about womens cysts. That's all I was talking about.

I meant cysts obviously. People call them pimples because it's the most familiar terminology.

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah I only know about womens cysts. That's all I was talking about.

Oh no worries. I aapreciate the input! Just noting that gauys can get them the same way, but that that wasn't the case in this instance. You know i dig you patchos :biggrin1:

I meant cysts obviously. People call them pimples because it's the most familiar terminology.
Alot of times they are pimples though, or folliculitis, or any number of other things. But as eqaully they are cysts, usually sebacous or mucosal in nature.

But we should use the proper terminology when we can, cuz they are two different things. No offense to you meant by me, and I don't think subgirrl eant any either:smile:

Have evalutaion today at dematologists office in 15 min. Will determine how invasive the procedure will be. Let you all know how it goes.

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok, he said he could do it in lie 15min or so (same as last procedure). Unfortunately there will be some cauerization involved, given the highly vascular nature of this region, lol. But he said way less than for my lip, as the cyst isn't as involved as the other. Offered to do it now, but I said, that's ok, I really need at least a few hours pf recop time befpre i wprk at my main job. Taking the day off from the school to do so (thank God for sick time) for the first day.

Wish me luck. It's for next tuesday at 9am. I think i will have him remove two warts that I have had since i was 9 that are on the back of my neck. Nay as well have the area beneath both heads distressed, lol!

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know, I have this friend who totally loves those videos on YouTube of people getting their cysts removed. It's so gross though, I don't know how anyone could be interested in seeing something like that. Yeah.

But if you do happen to take video if you could upload it somewhere so I can show my friend.

*poker face*

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You know, I have this friend who totally loves those videos on YouTube of people getting their cysts removed. It's so gross though, I don't know how anyone could be interested in seeing something like that. Yeah.

But if you do happen to take video if you could upload it somewhere so I can show my friend.

*poker face*
This the same "friend" who was hitting me up for pics of my lip cyst sfter pics? LOL!:wink::tongue:

Luv, if I took a vid, you would be the first to see them! As it is i am trying not to freak out at the thought of a needle being stabbed into my guy:eek: It hurt like a motherfucker when they numbed my lip!

OUCH!

So I don't think I am going to be thinking Wow, I need to record this! lol. May take pics later though.

I am with your "friend" on enjoying watching medical procedures. Guess that make sme some kind of freak, lol:wink::tongue:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So had the cyst removed. It was really not that big a deal. My lip hurt more when he numbed it (made me cry) but this, well other than the initial feeling of the needle piercing the skin ( a tiny pinprick, really getting caught in a zipper is a thousand times worse), it was fine.

He removed the cyst and did a tiny bit of cauterization. I got to se the cyst (D'OH! sorry patchos, I forgot to take a pic of it! Nasty little thing too, you would have liled...i mean "your freind" lol) and it was about half the size of an uncooked piece of cous cous, maybe less. He is sending it off to pathology.

While I was there I also had him remove a few skin tags on my neck that I have been self concious about. That injection Hurt! I nearly kicked him when he did it. But it didn't make me cry like my lip. SO I am going to say lip was the worst, then neck, then peen. Who knew?:wink::tongue::rolleyes:

Will update when the path results come back. Wish me luck.

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Had a cyst on my tailbone (which also abcessed) and would not want anything near my penis. Given that I have never shaved anywhere near there, I'm guessing shaving isn't the only cause for them.

Shaving isn't the only cause of them. I've had a recurring cyst on my tailbone for YEARS (I remember it flaring up in my teenage years), well before I started shaving (and never there). When I was about 23 it suddenly got really bad - insanely painful, red, swollen, hot, angry. I went to the doctor who said it was pilonodal sinusitis ... more or less an infected follicle. Luckily mine reacted to a two-week course of antibiotics, but if it didn't they were going to cannulate it (!!!).

I've also had a "pimple" on my clitoris. Again, ridiculously painful and angry, but not nearly as big (thank goodness!) That one reacted well to hot compresses, and it drained by itself.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Other than ingrown hairs on my scrotum and the base of my penis (caused by shaving or trimming) which do occur ocasionally,
I was not aware of these other things. So, thanks Nico, and all
the others, for bringing it to my/our attention and out in the open.

I can imagine the angst that goes with getting them, and I cringe
just thinling about what you had to go through. I send my wishes
for a very quick and painless healing...

trunksisba

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I didn't know guys could get cysts. I read all the things and couldn't see anything about ovarian cysts. I get them on my ovaries and they are very painful. They tend to be more painful near my period. I was on birth control for them, but they caused a blood clot and they took me off now they're back. When I first started having them there was one that was so bad they had to go in and take it out, mostly due to the fact that it was stealing blood supply from my transplanted kidney. I haven't had to have one removed since though.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I have a skin condition, genetically inherited in my case, called hydradenitis superativa, before I was diagnosed and properly treated I would get boils, sebaceous cysts, spots and all sorts of other nasties, on my bum, in my groin and inner thighs and upper legs and also suffered with mild adult acne as a result. Thankfully all these horrid things would come in bouts rather than continuously but the boils and cysts too sometimes would become extremely painful.and were deeply embarrassing. The boils would sometimes leave dark discoloration and I still have the odd scar from the cysts. I did receive treatment in the end and thankfully it worked and I've been symptom free for.years now but unfortunately the condition cannot be cured completely so it's possible I could have a recurence of symptoms at some point.

Just putting it out there that if you suffer with recurrent cysts and boils to maybe ask your doc about hydradenitis superativa and get the proper drug treatment because it will really change your life. I'm all pretty and boil and cyst free these days and it's been incredibly liberating.

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Shaving isn't the only cause of them. I've had a recurring cyst on my tailbone for YEARS (I remember it flaring up in my teenage years), well before I started shaving (and never there). When I was about 23 it suddenly got really bad - insanely painful, red, swollen, hot, angry. I went to the doctor who said it was pilonodal sinusitis ... more or less an infected follicle. Luckily mine reacted to a two-week course of antibiotics, but if it didn't they were going to cannulate it (!!!).

I've also had a "pimple" on my clitoris. Again, ridiculously painful and angry, but not nearly as big (thank goodness!) That one reacted well to hot compresses, and it drained by itself.
Owwwie! I couldn't imagine one on my tailbone! Glad that one and the one on your clit were resolved w/o surgery!
Other than ingrown hairs on my scrotum and the base of my penis (caused by shaving or trimming) which do occur ocasionally,
I was not aware of these other things. So, thanks Nico, and all
the others, for bringing it to my/our attention and out in the open.

I can imagine the angst that goes with getting them, and I cringe
just thinling about what you had to go through. I send my wishes
for a very quick and painless healing...
Thank you sweetie :kiss" I am all better. The first week was the worst, not really because of the pain, but that nice itching as it healed! THAT drove me nuts!
I didn't know guys could get cysts. I read all the things and couldn't see anything about ovarian cysts. I get them on my ovaries and they are very painful. They tend to be more painful near my period. I was on birth control for them, but they caused a blood clot and they took me off now they're back. When I first started having them there was one that was so bad they had to go in and take it out, mostly due to the fact that it was stealing blood supply from my transplanted kidney. I haven't had to have one removed since though.
OMG, I am so sorry! One of my best friends is down an ovary due to multiple recurrent ovarian cysts. After years of going through what you described, they finally removed the ovary itself (i think it was her left one). Best of luck to you, and here's hoping they don't return!
I have a skin condition, genetically inherited in my case, called hydradenitis superativa, before I was diagnosed and properly treated I would get boils, sebaceous cysts, spots and all sorts of other nasties, on my bum, in my groin and inner thighs and upper legs and also suffered with mild adult acne as a result. Thankfully all these horrid things would come in bouts rather than continuously but the boils and cysts too sometimes would become extremely painful.and were deeply embarrassing. The boils would sometimes leave dark discoloration and I still have the odd scar from the cysts. I did receive treatment in the end and thankfully it worked and I've been symptom free for.years now but unfortunately the condition cannot be cured completely so it's possible I could have a recurence of symptoms at some point.

Just putting it out there that if you suffer with recurrent cysts and boils to maybe ask your doc about hydradenitis superativa and get the proper drug treatment because it will really change your life. I'm all pretty and boil and cyst free these days and it's been incredibly liberating.
Wow! Thanks Hi! I had not heard of that. I used to get boils when i was a id (6-9 or so) on my knees and elbows, but I haven't ad them since. I then had extremely severe and painful acne from 13-19, then that went away, Now i have thrown 2 cysts (lip and peen). Well tech the lip one was so full of capillaries that they, in the end, classified it as a capillary hemangioma.

I will ask my dermatologist about this. Thank you for bringing it to my (our) attention, and fingers crossed that you continue to remain symtom free :kiss: