Genital Herpes Simplex (HSV)

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by bluefinch, Apr 17, 2011.

1. bluefinch

bluefinch New Member

I was exposed to this virus many years ago and had symptoms appear 2-3 times over 5 years. I started taking daily viral suppressor acyclovir 5 years ago, and continue to take it every day, and have had no symptoms since. Is this a "must mention" warning to every new sex partner or is it too low risk to mention? I'm single, sexually active gay male; top/bottom versatile

2. erratic

Gold Member

It's a tough one. If he asks then yeah, you have to. And seeing as any responsible adult should talk about STIs before sex, then that means you should be telling all your partners. That being said, I'd tell them exactly what you told us. You're taking medication, you're conscientious about your partners' safety...what more could you want?

3. dude_007

Gold Member

Herpes simplex is one that never goes away and while the acyclovir helps inhibit replication of the virus, it is still there and can be transmitted to others.

4. im8cut

im8cut New Member

Albums:
    herpes causes Alzheimer and dementia

5. myass111aa

myass111aa Member

That's just now being researched, and isn't even something that someone would care about knowing before sex.

I have HSV-1 on my lips, and I got it as a complete virgin. No kissing or anything. I tell them beforehand that I do have it, but it is in remission. I see it medically as if you haven't had an outbreak in a month (meaning clean everything for over a month), then you probably have little-to-no chance of spreading it. There IS a chance, but it's small. However, if you're practicing safe sex, you're probably fine unless you're currently having an outbreak OR they have a cut somewhere around their waist... public area... you get the point.

In short, always tell them. But get technical if you have to.

Draft saved Draft deleted