Georgia and Russia

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate to sound like a wuzz (?) but is it in our best interests to oppose Russia? We need their help with Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, etc. Why not just keep our mitts out of this fight?

There are a million Georgia's all over the world. Are we back to being the world's cop? Maybe we should fight everyone!

If you read beyond the headlines, the Georgian Government is not that innocent. They paid us off by sending a few troops to Afghanistan which made Bush REAL happy, and now they want us to GIVE OUR LIVES for what?

The whole thing will only end with another failure for us. Lets keep out. I fell sorry for the Georgian people, but I also feel sorry for the Russian people to have to sacrifice their sons to protect their borders against a two bit, cocky Georgian government with a big attitude.

Let the Georgians fight their own battles. Their government started this, and their government has to take responsibility for this.

Thats a great attitude i think not!...Georgia is a US ally who have troops in Iraq as well as Afghanistan, it is helping the US to help its integration into Nato and the EU.
Georgion troops entered a region of their own country to sort it out, a legitimate act as south ossetia is a part of its nation, Russia stepped in to defend the south ossetians who were the target of Georgian troops (not the average civilian) which is also legitimate as it has a peacekeeping role under a UN mandate. The big but tho is that Russia is going way beyond mere peacekeeping and is obviously persuing its own agenda
Georgia is asking for the help of allies and as Georgia is a part of 'the coalition' in the fight against terrorism i think it only right that the US, UK, Europe stand by this ally.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thats a great attitude i think not!...Georgia is a US ally who have troops in Iraq as well as Afghanistan, it is helping the US to help its integration into Nato and the EU.
Georgion troops entered a region of their own country to sort it out, a legitimate act as south ossetia is a part of its nation, Russia stepped in to defend the south ossetians who were the target of Georgian troops (not the average civilian) which is also legitimate as it has a peacekeeping role under a UN mandate. The big but tho is that Russia is going way beyond mere peacekeeping and is obviously persuing its own agenda
Georgia is asking for the help of allies and as Georgia is a part of 'the coalition' in the fight against terrorism i think it only right that the US, UK, Europe stand by this ally.

Let's be real, 2,000 troops in Iraq ? I know Georgia would like us to take them under their wing like Great Britain did back around 1920, we already play that role with Israel in the Middle East. Georgia was an aggressor with South Ossetia, Russia is just settling that score and hopefully will take Georgia back under it's umbrella. A democracy that close to Russia is stupidity and history has proven that time and time again for Georgia. For their own aggressions, Georgia will once again lose their democracy, independence and land. We go into the Georgia-Russia affair and it becomes WW III. Now if we back them like China in WW II, that's a different story, we all get to live thru that involvement, and maybe Haliburton/Cheney makes a little profit on the side ?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think it is rather strange that none of the anti-american variety of posters here that pop up quite regularly has posted a thread on this yet...three days and counting...yet, silence.

where are the condemnations about Russian imperialism and aggression etc?

The silence is easy to explain, Flashy. They're not here. The anti-US snobs and elitists tend to get August off work so they're away from home on vacation.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Are there any other Finno-Ugric peoples other than the Magyars and the Finns? If there are, I don't know of any.

What's really cool? That these people exist may indicate that the Odyssey is based on a real event:

There are, in the Volga basin and Siberia. They formerly occupied a very large area, the Ukraine was the core, before the Slav expansion. The Hungarians migrated in the tenth c, the rest have probably been they are since the glaciers retreated.

Attachments

Last edited:

There are, in the Volga basin and Siberia. They formerly occupied a very large area, before the Slav expansion.

Thanks for that kali! I'm on public internet access at a hotel with some strict policies about what can be displayed (I turned OFF all image loading :D).

Something you might like is the Red Book of the Peoples of the Russian Empire. It's a great source of information about the ethnic groups of Russia. Americans know so little of Russia it's a shame, yet it's the most ethnically diverse country in the world; perhaps excepting the US.