Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lucky for me I have never been a fan of canned or jarred meats. :tongue:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Georgia processor expands meat recall
Sun Jul 22, 11:51 AM ET

A Georgia meat processor on Saturday expanded its recall of canned meat products that may be connected to a botulism outbreak.

Castleberry's Food Co. of Augusta recalled more than 80 types of canned chili, beef stew, corned beef hash and other meat products in addition to the 10 brands it had recalled Thursday.

Cans of chili sauce made at the Castleberry's plant were found in the homes of an Indiana couple and two children in Texas who had been hospitalized with botulism. All four are expected to survive.

Botulism is a muscle-paralyzing disease caused by a toxin made by a bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. Such bacteria are commonly found in soil.

The Agriculture Department's Food Safety and Inspection Service said Thursday that an equipment malfunction may have been responsible for the contamination.

On Saturday, FSIS said the malfunctions at the Augusta processing plant may have existed longer than initially estimated.

Castleberry's, which is owned by Bumble Bee Seafoods LLC and based in San Diego, voluntarily expanded the recall.

Castleberry's senior vice president Steve Mavity said: "We believe we have isolated the issue to a situation of under-processing on one line of our production facility. As an extra precaution to the recall we announced on Wednesday, we have shut down this line altogether and are recalling all products produced on it."

Brand names of the recalled products include: Austex, Best Yet, Big Y, Black Rock, Bloom, Bryan, Bunker Hill, Castleberry's, Cattle Drive, Firefighters, Food Club, Food Lion, Goldstar, Great Value, Kroger, Lowes, Meijer, Morton House, Paramount, Piggly Wiggly, Prudence, Southern Home, Steak N Shake, Thrifty Maid, Triple Bar and Value Time.
The recall also includes four varieties of Natural Balance dog food.

Consumers with questions about the recall may contact Castleberry's at 1-888-203-8446.
__
On the Net:
Castleberry's Food Co.: Welcome Home, Castleberry's Snow's Brands
Food Safety and Inspection Service: Home/

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*Darts into kitchen ... ransacks entire "hurricane supply" stash spanning two shelves ... phew! ... only a close call: "Sweet Sue Chunk Chicken" which is a Castleberry brand but apparently not involved.*

What a mess!

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Well, Great Value is the Wal-Mart store brand, so if anyone has shopped at Wal-Mart (and who hasn't?) you might have the affected products in your pantry. I buy the Great Value brand chili dog sauce all the time, so I may have some of that somewhere. I love Austex beef stew, but I haven't bought any of that in quite some time. Still, I'll have a look to see if I might have any cans of food from any of those brands listed.:eek: