Georgia Senator

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead, Nov 5, 2008.

1. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Here in Georgia, incumbent GOP senator Saxby Chambliss may well be forced into a run-off election with Democratic challenger Jim Martin. Here's an article from the Atlanta paper about it.

Chambliss was supposed to cruise to victory ... until the economy fell out, and young folks and African-American folks voted in freakin' droves, here in one of the younger, blacker states in the country.

(Thank you, young folks and black folks)

If there is a run-off ... can you imagine the attention we li'l ol' Georgians are gonna get from both parties?

2. talldarknathletic

talldarknathletic New Member

It was definitely an interesting night in Atlanta. From bar to party to the Ebenezer Baptist Church Obama supporters were out in extremely large numbers. Peaceful throughtout too!

This runoff will be an interesting thing to be a part of. It dem / rep senate race is getting close....What are the numbers at right now?

3. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Chambliss stole that seat after the GOP smeared Max Cleland who is a bonafide war hero and is a man who gave his limbs for our country.

Georgia is full of redneck pieces of shit, so I don't expect Jim Martin to beat him, but Saxby NEEDS his ass beat.

4. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Last I heard, Saxby was just under 50% ... like 49.7, something like that, with some DeKalb ballots yet to be counted. That's a county that gave a massive margin to Obama.

And yes, Saxby smeared war-hero Cleland, and will be paying that off karmically for the rest of his natural life. If not longer.

5. mindseye

Gold Member

I don't think that Jim Martin can pull the same kind of turnout by himself in December that he did yesterday with Obama at the top of the ticket -- he's not that charismatic.

But I'm hoping Obama will spend some time in the state driving turnout for the runoff.

6. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

I'm just imagining Obama doing a radio ad that would run a lot on every station in Georgia that targets a mostly black audience. That, plus every black preacher talking about it every Sunday between now and early December, when the run-off takes place? Watch out.

7. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is an understatement! lol!!! :smile: He is about as charismatic as a pan of lasagna.

8. Freeboy

Freeboy New Member

Albums:
    Charisma aside, Jim Martin is about business. Saxby definitely doesn't have Georgia's best interests in mind .. unless you're a rural Republican or really rich. He was actually worse than John McCain in his LOYAL support of Bush, probably even beating LAURA in that area. Very sad.

I have been keeping posted to AJC.com for information on the potential runoff. At last check, the state's GOP is saying there will be one - almost a concession of sorts. I can't wait. I'm carrying my ass right back to that voting booth and saying HELL NAW to Saxby AGAIN!!!

9. D_Marazion Analdouche

Bahahahahahahhaaa........deep breath.......bahahahahahahahahhaaa

The Irony meter went off so bad I think it's finally broken. Yeah nobody on these forums smeared a war vet before nor has any Liberal politican.

I apologize for any spelling mistakes, I was laughing so hard my eyes watered and I can't see what I'm typing.

10. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

I think it's amusing that you're more outraged by the bad behavior of some posters on a big dick forum than you are by an elected US Senator.

11. D_Marazion Analdouche

Notice how I said people in these forums AND liberal politicans. I'm not saying his tactics are valid or fair, I just think the irony is really really bad. And it proves how people on either side will complain when something they do is done to them. Frankly that's what I find amusing.

12. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I find YOU amusing.

13. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

You're right, there is hypocrisy on both sides. And as a guy sorta center-left on the spectrum, I join my conservative brethren in hating the idea of our military men and women being trashed for what they do so nobly.

But ... specifically here in Georgia, I got to vote against a politician whom I think is slime mold. Saxby Chambliss.

14. Principessa

Gold Member

Shit! The run off is scheduled for 12/2/08; the day I go for surgery. I'll have to get an absentee ballot because I'll be damned if I want that smug bastard Chambliss in again. His little speech this morning showed his true colors.

He actually had the audacity to say that if the President wanted him to do something he didn't think was right for his constituents he wasn't gonna do it. In essence he is saying, he's not listening to that black man in the White House.:mad: What a bastard!

15. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I think senate nominees Al Franken and Norm Coleman in Minnesota are going to have a run-off too (race too close to call).

I have a confession I've never admitted to anyone. I HAVE A SECRET CRUSH ON TODD PALIN. As a good liberal, I've kept in the closet about this. But now I'm kicking down that door.

16. D_Marazion Analdouche

Oh don't get me wrong, this isn't about who you are voting for. My head just implodes over republican and democrat partisan hypocrisy.

People in these forums and elsewhere have said things about McCain like just because he's a vet he is not entitled to be pres, he's a fool, he was a lousy soldier because he was captured etc etc. So now when things are said about someone with the same ideology, the mudslinger is going to burn in hell.

The hypocrisy and irony that pours out of both sides is exactly what is wrong with our political structure. It's always the "other sides' fault, it appears mirrors do not exist in politics.

17. Principessa

Gold Member

GA-Sen: Runoff If No One Clears 50%

by: DavidNYC

Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM EDT

Huh. So this pretty critical piece of information seems to have escaped a lot of people's attention - including, I must admit, mine:
    One possible scenario, which seems somewhat likely based on poll data, is that Chambliss wins a slight plurality, but not the 50% plus one required for a majority. If Chambliss and Martin go into a run-off, the race will likely garner national attention and financial resources from national Democratic and Republican parties.
    Andre in Atlanta explains the backstory:
    After Wyche Fowler was defeated by Paul Coverdell in 1992, the Democratic-led Georgia General Assembly changed lowered the threshold for electoral victory to a plurality rather than a majority. In 2005, the Republican-led General Assembly changed it back to a majority, 50% plus one, to win.
    If necessary, a runoff would be held on Dec. 2nd, so props if you knew all this. Anyhow, with Libertarian candidate Allan Buckley in the race, a runoff is a definite possibility - Buckley's been pulling about 5% according to the Pollster composites. What's more, Georgia's own Bob Barr at the, uh, top of the ticket on the Libertarian line, so that could draw in even more Lib votes.
    The real question is whether a runoff would be a boon to us. On the one hand, you would no longer have Obama at the top of the ticket. On the other hand, you'd have the entire resources of what ought to be a pretty energized Democratic Party at the ready. Of course, the GOP thought the same thing in Louisiana in 2002 when they tried to eliminate Mary Landrieu. They had the hubris to call it "Operation Icing on the Cake" - but all they got was a pie in the face. I'm very curious to hear what Swing Staters think about the likelihood of a runoff, and to whose benefit (if anyone's) one would redound.

18. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

For sure. That's one big, big reason why I don't call myself a member of either party. I tend to vote Dem more than for the GOP.

I was hugely impressed by McCain's concession speech last night. He is such a decent guy, a real guy and a legitimate war hero. Not that I voted for him ... I didn't. I think he had some of the same problems that Al Gore had in 2000; he didn't run as himself. He was trying to be the best-positioned political product to pick up certain votes rather than just being John McCain. IMO, if he had been himself and attacked both Bush and the Dems, he might well have won like Nicholas Sarkozy did in France last year under similar circumstances.

And I usually stay off the political part of this forum 'cause it just disgusts me that crap that gets thrown around while discussing some of the most important stuff we're faced with.

19. mindseye

Gold Member

Unless you know what you're talking about, STFU. Did you ever see how low Chambliss stooped in 2002?

20. mindseye

Gold Member

There will be no runoff in Minnesota (Minnesota law says the highest vote-getter wins, even if under 50%).

Draft saved Draft deleted