Germaphobe or bad manners

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I was having lunch w/2 business associates, in middle of dining 2 of thier associates stopped by table....they greeted by shaking hands...since i was eating I did a verbal nice to meet you.,....later my friends suggested i was a bit rude for not engaging in a physical greeting...I suggested i was not, being rude.. due to fact I was eating lunch....I mean really...WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE????...PERSONALLY i do not shake hands in a restaurant...maybe its just me...???

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm trying to remember being in the same situation and what I did. I'm sure it's happend to me I just don't remember. :confused:

I am a germaphobe. I would not have shook their hands. If I was somehow forced to, I would then have to excuse myself so I could go wash my hands before I could resume eating. Why is it a problem to say, "hi I'm Mike," and maybe sort of wave at them?

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If I'm in the midst of doing something like eating, I typically do a half-bow of sorts.

...Thinking about it, maybe that's a little strange.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dude, you're eating out!
the waiter didn't wash his hands after crapping.
the assistant chef sneezed in your food.
the cleaner has a grudge and wanks into the sacues at night.
the chef picks his nose whilst chopping.
...and you're fretting over a hand shake?

i've worked in silver service. trust me.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I was having lunch w/2 business associates, in middle of dining 2 of thier associates stopped by table....they greeted by shaking hands...since i was eating I did a verbal nice to meet you.,....later my friends suggested i was a bit rude for not engaging in a physical greeting...I suggested i was not, being rude.. due to fact I was eating lunch....I mean really...WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE????...PERSONALLY i do not shake hands in a restaurant...maybe its just me...???
To me bad manners and unprofessional, especially in a business lunch setting.

If you are that paranoid, then you should have disinfectant wipes in your pocket.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well while I personally appreciate the people who realize that you are eating and say something along the lines of "Please don't get up, I just wanted to stop and say hello." (I stand up when I shake hands) Failing that, I excuse my self to the restroom and wash my hands.

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Most definitely bad manners. If you're truly a germaphobe wake up and meet the new world that has portable hand sanitizers. In a business setting it is always expected to do more than just say "hi I'm Mike"....especially if others at the table are greeting the person with a handshake. I can understand your not wanting to get that person's "germs" in or on your lunch but it really isn't that much trouble to either pop into the bathroom and wash your hands or reach in your pocket and pull out some hand sanitizer or a disinfectant wipe. By not shaking a person's hand in a business session it's almost like you're saying I don't care who you are or I'm more important than you so I'll just keep to myself.

B_Artful Dodger

Experimental Member
Media
Meh... I just risk it. I wash my hands at every oportunity, but you cant let cleanlyness take over your life
(I personally wouldn't think it rude though if you didn't shake my hand while eating: I'd get the message)

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I met a fellow LPSG member in Montana in June while I had a nagging flu. We ate with a group of friends at the M&M diner. The orders were mixed up, but this was discovered only after I touched the bun. I had to scream over all the chatting people around me that I needed the bun back because I touched it. I was fairly adamant about it; I could have just quietly let them exchange plates. I didn't want to spread my Canadian germs all over the Northwest, though.

Sitting, right now, at the M&M Diner in Butte, Montana the place Jack Kerouac once said "ended his quest for the perfect bar." More than 50 years later, the M&M still exudes an authentic, rustic charm that is hard to dispute. (source)

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
It doesn't sound too bad. If I was one of the guys who stopped by, I would just assume you had something on your hands from eating and didn't want to wipe salad dressing all over my hands or something.

Did you excuse yourself for not shaking hands? That might be what seemed rude.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I met a fellow LPSG member in Montana in June while I had a nagging flu. We ate with a group of friends at the M&M diner. The orders were mixed up, but this was discovered only after I touched the bun. I had to scream over all the chatting people around me that I needed the bun back because I touched it. I was fairly adamant about it; I could have just quietly let them exchange plates. I didn't want to spread my Canadian germs all over the Northwest, though.
Thank God you were so concientous! Otherwise people from Seattle, WA to Redding, CA might have a sudden urge to wear bright red jackets, breeches, and ride about on horses stopping crimes. :biggrin1:

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
dude, you're eating out!
the waiter didn't wash his hands after crapping.
the assistant chef sneezed in your food.
the cleaner has a grudge and wanks into the sacues at night.
the chef picks his nose whilst chopping.
...and you're fretting over a hand shake?

i've worked in silver service. trust me.

OMG....i am a g-phobe....and for good reason....gawd awful....thats it....its over...cannot do it....

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG....i am a g-phobe....and for good reason....gawd awful....thats it....its over...cannot do it....
seriously, you're prissy about touching his hand whilst eating a meal that's been touched by maybe half a dozen chefs, kitchen hands, waiters?

if some 19y/o kitchen hand wipes his runny nose on the heel of his thumb, or absent mindedly picks the head off a zit, he runs off to wash his hands?

and i've known people who work in food factories. it's dull as shit and minimum wage. they all had tales of coworkers rubbing food on the floor or spitting in it. they'd get fired if they got caught but nobody tells on them.
so every time you eat a packet of chips or buy a loaf of bread, you've a chance of eating things you really wouldn't want to think about.

you can't avoid germs. you may as well get used to it.