Germaphobe or bad manners

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I was having lunch w/2 business associates, in middle of dining 2 of thier associates stopped by table....they greeted by shaking hands...since i was eating I did a verbal nice to meet you.,....later my friends suggested i was a bit rude for not engaging in a physical greeting...I suggested i was not, being rude.. due to fact I was eating lunch....I mean really...WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE????...PERSONALLY i do not shake hands in a restaurant...maybe its just me...???

I would have shaked hands... :rolleyes:

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
kotch......thank you...I feel same way.....whew...glad to hear someone else thinks same way......I regretted the action, but doing same ill mannered behavior, just did not sit well...I hope the intruders seen my horror, and maybe would not put themselves or another person in that sitution again.....

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
he could take up farming, grow his own, never touched by human hand.

but it IS kinda freaky!

did you know that human sewage waste is often treated and used to fertilise crops these days? how freaky is that!
still, has to be better than the traditional pig shit.

lol, and have you ever known any grain farmers?
they store the grain in huge sheds, obviously, but if you walk in suddenly there's hundreds of rats in there! no way to keep them out really. they have to filter out the rat shit.
every time i eat a slice of bread i wonder if they got it all *shudder*

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I never shake hands, even when I'm not eating. If the person to whom I'm being introduced acts weird because I don't stretch out my hand to meet his or hers, I quickly say "Excuse me, but I have a sprained wrist that's still healing."

However, I've discovered most 'Mericuhns are more intelligent than I normally expect and are just as happy or even more honored if I smile and slightly bow in their direction; especially if I'm eating and they are rude enough to interrupt my meal with friends. If I stand up and give them a slight bow, everyone who expected to shake my hand seems relieved to just accept that I've politely acknowledged their existence in a friendly and open manner.

In Latin countries sometimes we take what seems to be hours greeting everyone in a group by acting like we're kissing each other on the cheek. In reality, we don't really kiss (unless it's immediate family). We just act like we're going to press our cheeks together (but don't) and say whatever the standard greeting is in the local language. This can be especially annoying when you're standing in line to buy stamps or pay an electric bill and one of the employees behind the counter is leaving for the day and has to do the faux cheek press with EVERYONE (even if you don't like most of your coworkers). Everyone stops what they are doing (counting change, stamping your personal check, etc.) and they all do the fake cheek kiss. Latins tend to shake hands only after a group of them, especially business men, have agreed to something (like meet again and continue the conversation). And they all find time afterwards to go to the rest room and wash their hands. Note: they may not wash their hands after taking a piss or shit, but most mens and womens rooms have an attendant on duty who makes certain you receive a paper towel which sort of forces you to wash your hands.

I really dislike shaking hands. In the USA it seems it becomes a contest among men to see who can cause the most pain with the strongest hand shake. Plus, as others have mentioned, you don't know where those hands have been. Remember, approximately 80% of the US population has pin worms. So, next time you catch your boss scratching his ass (or picking his nose), reconsider the idea that NOT shaking hands is rude.

Robert53

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It would depend on what i was eating and who they were. Generally I would shake their hands after wiping mine on my napkin, of course. I use a knife, fork and spoon, and usually don't eat anythign with my hands except maybe bread. Of well, depends on the occassion. If I was at a titty bar and having a "box" lunch..............

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Documentation

Well, it's more believable hearsay than documentation. El Famosos Medico "Dr. Oz" (we get Oprah in Spain just like 'Mericuh) stated "that 80% of all people have pin worms." It was a repeat. But would Dr. Oz just pull parasites out of his ass for effect!? :eek::smile:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Parties are places you go to with the specific knowledge that there will be other people there who may at some point wish to speak to you, even if they don't know you.

Very different from someone walking up to me in a restaurant when I'm having a meal with friends or family, or turning up at my house without warning.
Perhaps you should read the OP again. He was at lunch with business associates and their business associates came up and said hello. This was not some homeless guy off the street.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yeah, I'd agree with the last. Excuse yourself and the guy will have to just understand. I tend to be a bit germaphobic myself, and even given all the stuff that can happen to your food before you get it, no harm cutting your risks. Would someone with a risky hobby or profession say, "hell, I [insert whatever], so I might as well play in traffic"? I think not.

Besides, chances are that waiter never touched your food, or the chef's germs got killed in the cooking, or died on their own before getting to you (some microbes have short lifespans).

That handshake while your eating, though, who knows?

Last edited:

plumbr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, I would hesitate to shake hands. I would still do it because it is important to myself to keep the greeters entertained. I know they probably went to the bathroom without washing their hands but so what? We never think about the times we spit on our keyboard or mouse and then keep using it. How about the chef that cooks many meals a day while sweating and perspiring in that heat chamber. Or the person who sneaks a fart in your office while you're eating.

Germs are everywhere. Actually, its good for our bodies. This is what our immune systems are for. If you don't use it, you lose it. No point in depending on disinfectants. Microbe resistance is a big problem. Those that don't use disinfectants are better off than those who do. Don't let the advertising gimmicks instill fear into you. In our modern society, our lives can only get so dirty. People lived in worse conditions 50 years ago.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rude or not, I wouldn't shake hands with someone while I was eating, and I certainly wouldn't approach another person while they were eating under any circumstances.

I find the unannounced infliction of oneself on another person to be completely unacceptable and about the rudest thing you can ever do, under any circumstances.

(The post man really doesn't like me...)
We would be great neighbors. :smile: I have often wished someone would bring back the calling card. As I am not a fan of drop in visitors. Unfortunately, this seems quite the thing to do in the south or perhaps it's just rural areas.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Besides, chances are that waiter never touched your food, or the chef's germs got killed in the cooking, or died on their own before getting to you (some microbes have short lifespans).
^^^never worked in catering.
they arrange food on the plate by hsand, to make it pretty.

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^^^never worked in catering.
they arrange food on the plate by hsand, to make it pretty.

b.c. has never been to a McDonalds,that would scare the hell out of him!(I have friends that have worked in one.)

On a side note:I don't wash before my wife blows me!:eek::smile: