Get over Steve Jobs!

FBAnder

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
ALL computers today, owe their interface to the innovations of Apple.
Windows and its descendants are all rip offs of Apple... and their insufficiencies beside Apple's OS are directly attributable to the fact that no one in the PC world controls the quality of anything.

It was actually Xerox that created the GUI and both MS and Apple ripped it off from them. Apple is no better than Microsoft except Microsoft's time to shine has come and gone, now it is Apple's turn.

Also a PC can be a Mac another misnomer people often make. A PC can run an Apple OS, a Windows OS, a Linux OS, etc. Apple is a BRAND of PC that uses an Apple operating system. Dell is a BRAND of PC that uses Windows operating systems. So your statement that no one in the PC world controls the quality of anything is a generalization and incorrect. Apple computers need servicing when hardware fails just as any Dell, HP or IBM EXCEPT you can bring your Dell to the local guy to replace your faulty RAM stick for $50. You can bring your Mac into an Apple store and get the same piece of hardware replaced at 3x the cost.

Proprietary doesn't mean better or higher quality...it usually doesn't. Example: Windows. What it does mean is you can't see inside the black box. That privilege is reserved for certain people and that ultimately leads to higher cost of ownership in the long term.

I am not going to turn this into an open-source vs proprietary debate and I'm not going to piss on Steve Jobs out of respect for the man, but I did feel it necessary to point out that your post has both incorrect information and dangerous assumptions.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
not to get into a rant fest but fair and pricing on the backs of hundreds of thousands of chinese workers who are nearly worked to the brink of insanity. Housed in factories where there is no escape to any other type of life. Don't produce and your fired with no home to live in and no money save because you spent it all in the compound your housed in. Remember like 8 suicides at the factory because people were supervised to the extreme. quota quota quota. And we have our iphone and ipads and ipods who cares. 300 thousand workes housed in a facility/compound sounds more like a prison to me.

Yeah, and Dells are still made in factories that are more like frat houses than "prisons." Or so was the prevailing belief until Dell outsourced production to China.

D

deleted15807

Mind you, FOTRAN, COBOL, C++, BASIC (in various flavors), PASCAL. and a whole bunch of other programming languages are still in use and will be for the next 90 years.

Thanks midlifebear for the fascinating history lesson. And yes COBOL, in spite of the rumors of it's death, still runs the world. :smile:

Niiko8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Had a conversation with the owner of a studio I work in today. We reached many conclusions on why Apple and Steve Jobs is so popular. And one of which was that his genius not only lies in the technology, but his ability to build a dedicated following and making consumers unknowing salesmen to the rest of the mass public. More recently than not, the products (Like iPhone and iPad) much like the Blackberry, is seen as a sort of identity rather than a product, an association if you will, kind of like how the music you listen to is your identity or association. It then led to the question "When Bill Gates passes away, will he get the same reaction?" And I don't think he will.

And that video in the first post just seemed like propaganda and garbage to me. The beast files? really? Just the way it was all worded and put together makes it garbage