Getting a dog spayed.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Our Scottish terrier is around 6 years old of which she's been with us for the last 4 years. There was a time when we were going to let her have pups but we have decided against now.

I'm pretty against surgery unless it is necessary but we're thinking of getting her spayed. The reason is following every season she has a phantom pregnancy and we have to put her on a course of milk tablets. We think this must be quite traumatic for her hence why we are considering getting her spayed. The blood spotting is not an issue for us as the floors are all tiled and she only ever goes on her own chair which has her blanket on it.

If I were in the UK I would ask the advice of the vet but not here. They would recommend the surgery for the sake of them getting the money and not be acting in the dog's best interests. Sweeping statement I know but I have found them to recommend things that were just not necessary in the past. Friends have found the same too.

So would it be in her best interests to be spayed?

Last edited:

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hey Davey,

Proponents say that it can prevent some cancers, such as ovarian, etc. I don't really know myself. It does seem like it might be easier for her if you did.

Honest confession here, I have not had any of mine fixed. I'm extremely careful with them and have never had an accidental pregnancy. Was actually thinking about getting my current one fixed, but I have started competing with her and she's pretty impressive, so I have had some requests for her offspring. Haven't really made my mind up yet.

Sorry, not much help, 'eh?

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I've only had dogs that were spayed. Unless you are going to be a breeder, I don't see a benefit in not having them spayed or neutered. The risk of an accidental litter is more than I want to deal with, plus the thought of how many dogs are put to sleep because they are unwanted is more than I want to think about.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have her spayed, we had a dog that had phantom pregnancies, she ended up with something (I can't remember what the vet called it exactly, it sounded like apyremia) as a result of the phantom pregnancies - apparently the uterus doesn't empty properly after them, the gunk left ends up going septic. She had to have an emergency hysterectomy which cost a fortune and almost died because of the infection.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have her spayed, we had a dog that had phantom pregnancies, she ended up with something (I can't remember what the vet called it exactly, it sounded like apyremia) as a result of the phantom pregnancies - apparently the uterus doesn't empty properly after them, the gunk left ends up going septic. She had to have an emergency hysterectomy which cost a fortune and almost died because of the infection.

That sounds pretty bad. She just started coming into season today so we'll go ahead in the NY when she is finished.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We've had all of our dogs spayed or neutered.
I would think that it's not an issue anymore like it may have been in the past.

Our dogs usually come home partly sedated and sleep for most of the day. They wear the "Hood" around their necks so that they don't infect the incision by licking it or trying to pull out the stitches. Most stitches will fall out on their own, or the Vet will pull them.

The important things to remember:
1. Don't let her Jump during the healing process - this could rip her incision open.
2. Keep an eye on it - watch for any infection or oddities
3. Don't let her lick it or tug the stitches
4. No hard activities such as running etc. Gotta let everything heal inside and out.

Heres some info and links to help.
http://thethreedogblog.com/female-dog-spaying-and-post-operation-care.html

Last edited:

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the last dog I had spayed was a drop off in the morning and a pick up in the afternoon, the ”cut” was less then an inch, three little stitches ( she was 10 pounds at the time). Getting her to slow down was hard.

All my dogs, cats and horses were fixed as I didn't want to add to overpopulation and if you don’t know what you’re doing stallions are damn Dangerous.

Spaying is a relative piece of cake these days. It's not as easy as neutering but invaluable for relieving the stress for a bitch in heat. Neutering is relatively easier, but that's simply a fact of anatomy. Neither should stress the dog out much plus the vet can clean her teeth at the same time. Be sure to ask for that.