Getting Fit at 60+

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hey guys. I'm a 61 year old male who has been on a fitness trend after years of serious obesity from my late thirties until just a few years ago. I actively blog about it and related sexual issues on my blog The Rambling Cock.

Recently I dropped below 200 lbs for the first time since the mid-90s, and am headed for 175. I posted a recent blog entry to discuss how it's going, and how I'm experiencing the "in-between" (fat covering solid muscle) body.

I figured I'd launch this thread so people who are trying to lose weight and/or get fit a little later in life have a place to talk with others in the same boat.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Following...

With all the discussions about eating right and getting fit, so much content is on those trying build muscle with workouts, diets, and supplementation. But when we cross that 60 line... Our views change on just how and why we improve our health.

jozv

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
But when we cross that 60 line... Our views change on just how and why we improve our health.
What is your thinking on this? I'm not 60 yet (just went into my 58th year), but I'm starting to think about what I need to change, if anything, as I enter the next decade.

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Jozv -

You asked this of William, but let me answer as well. (I go into more detail in several of my blog entries if you want more.)

The reason I started this thread is because at our age it's sort of a "this is my last chance" stage of life. I was fat for a decade and a half. Not "heavy," I was fat. Topped out at 278 pounds, and I'm 5'10". In 2016 I had a number of personal crises involving the health of my wife and both of my parents which changed my perspective considerably. (I go into some of my lifelong experience here.) I needed to be healthy to take care of them. Losing the weight and getting fit at this age - 55 when I started - was Now or Never. And at our age it can make the difference of a decade or so of future life, and improves the quality of that life.

My wife and I love to travel. On my blog I've posted pictures of what I looked like back in 2008 (no face), and I was the stereotypical fat American tourist visiting Europe. It pains me to look at those pictures. We're headed back this year and I intend to be a much better representative of our country.

It's been an arduous road - you don't lose a thirty-years-in-the-making collection of fat in a day - but I'm less than 30 pounds of my final goal.

My two cents.

AlextheRedhead

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Good for you. It's so important to exercise. It helps with the muscles and tendons not to mention bone density.
I started in my late 30's and for 25 years I went almost everyday to the gym. When covid hit I took two years off. I asked my doctor if I could go back to the gym. He said yes if you wear a mask.
I have been going every day and feel like my old self.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm now 70, and I had never been in a gym (nor played any sport) until I hit 50. I had always been fit and trim due to my work as a carpenter/contractor, but at 50 I began to work as a project manager and I stopped doing so much lifting, climbing, etc. I started developing a belly AND my blood pressure went up. I was referred to a cardiologist who told me I should figure out what to do in a gym.

I determined that I hated cardio with a passion, but I enjoyed yoga and weight lifting. I quickly lost the extra pounds of belly fat and began to build muscle and endurance. My weight in my mid-40s was still around 160 (at 6'-2"), but at age 50 was 175. I brought it back to 160 and have now added 35 pounds of muscle. I have been a steady 195 for over ten years.

My goal with yoga was to work on balance (since many deaths in older people result from falls) and flexibility. I have rather severe arthritis (diagnosed at age 25) particularly in my hands, spine and knees, but I find that if I maintain my yoga practice, the arthritis pain is usually manageable.

I still lift weights 3 times per week minimum, and I keep a fairly fast pace (no chatting on my phone or posting to Instagram!) and that keeps my heart rate fairly elevated for the duration of the workout.

We recently got a puppy so I'm getting lots of walking these days plus a 100 yard uphill sprint every morning as part of his walk.

In many ways, I now feel better than I felt at 50!

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
What is your thinking on this? I'm not 60 yet (just went into my 58th year), but I'm starting to think about what I need to change, if anything, as I enter the next decade.
My partner, 66, has a pretty simple list of reasons.
To live long, without dementia, able to walk, talk and fuck.

He is doing Les Mills classes and spinning.

ETA

and everything @51arledge said.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My partner, 66, has a pretty simple list of reasons.
To live long, without dementia, able to walk, talk and fuck.

He is doing Les Mills classes and spinning.

ETA

and everything @51arledge said.
This ^^^

Your fitness needs are NOT necessarily the same as your fitness goals, especially as we age.

And it's important to recognize this and ACCEPT this as a fact, a necessary evil if you will, of the aging process.

I'm now 70, and I had never been in a gym (nor played any sport) until I hit 50. I had always been fit and trim due to my work as a carpenter/contractor, but at 50 I began to work as a project manager and I stopped doing so much lifting, climbing, etc. I started developing a belly AND my blood pressure went up. I was referred to a cardiologist who told me I should figure out what to do in a gym.

I determined that I hated cardio with a passion, but I enjoyed yoga and weight lifting. I quickly lost the extra pounds of belly fat and began to build muscle and endurance. My weight in my mid-40s was still around 160 (at 6'-2"), but at age 50 was 175. I brought it back to 160 and have now added 35 pounds of muscle. I have been a steady 195 for over ten years.

My goal with yoga was to work on balance (since many deaths in older people result from falls) and flexibility. I have rather severe arthritis (diagnosed at age 25) particularly in my hands, spine and knees, but I find that if I maintain my yoga practice, the arthritis pain is usually manageable.

I still lift weights 3 times per week minimum, and I keep a fairly fast pace (no chatting on my phone or posting to Instagram!) and that keeps my heart rate fairly elevated for the duration of the workout.

We recently got a puppy so I'm getting lots of walking these days plus a 100 yard uphill sprint every morning as part of his walk.

In many ways, I now feel better than I felt at 50!
This as well ^^^

I have a similar fitness history; skinny as all get out. But not necessarily healthy.

My lower back, which will never be perfect, feels better today than it did when I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease at 39 years old.

After extensive physical therapy, it was recommended that I look into starting a serious weightlifting program to see if that might alleviate the need for recommended lower back surgery.

I picked up my first weight at 42. AFTER meeting with a certified personal trainer and discussing my issues, he designed a program to strengthen other body parts that would help take the stress off my lower back.

It worked. The initial focus was on my lower body and my abs. And after a few weeks, my back felt better than it had from all the physical therapy. So good that I really got into the bodybuilding aspect of my training. Always mindful of my lower back. And I packed on a lot of muscle. Which was quite a change from being so skinny up until then. In addition to feeling better physically, I felt better about myself mentally and emotionally. I had done something that I needed to do, and while it was a lot of hard work, it paid off in improved health and well-being.

Now 26 years later, my training regimen has changed. I still lift 3 days a week and I have a spin bike for Cardio. I am with the same personal trainer I started with! We now work a lot on balance and core. With the goal of keeping me mobile and as agile as possible as I continue to age.

I also lift as heavy as I can. Still have a lot of my muscle. I try and eat well and make sure I stay hydrated and get sufficient sleep. All of that goes hand-in-hand for optimum fitness. And keeping me on my feet as I continue to age. ;)

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Some great responses so far here. For me diet is the biggest issue followed by "proper" exercise. I underwent a very successful L5-S1 back fusion about 10 years ago. That's why I use the quotes on "proper".

So at the start of the pandemic the wife and I went full plant based with zero processed foods. That was the start. My integrative medicine doctor got me into learning about balance work during exercise. Balance is a huge issue after 60 as was brought up here. Being able to catch oneself from a tripping fall is paramount to an active healthy life. Being able to climb over a fence, jump across an obstacle, or pick yourself up quickly off the ground are important assets in life as well. And finally: Being able to fuck long and hard without a damn hip, leg, or foot cramp is sweet (older guys and gals know exactly what I'm saying)! :D

I went from "lifting" (I hate that term for some reason) heavier weights to moderate resistance training while trying to keep balance. Curls on one leg... Dumbbell squats on a balance ball... Routines that force one to stay balanced. Kettle bells and dumbbells are my main tools at the gym. I stopped focusing on increasing iron. My focus is not to gain impressive muscle mass (Hell, I'm 63...). It's to maintain and improve my balance and stay healthy. I don't have a social life at my gym. Others here I know LOVE the gym and look forward to it as their main activity or even hobby. For me the gym is the means to and end.

Last edited:

Don Logan

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hey guys. I'm a 61 year old male who has been on a fitness trend after years of serious obesity from my late thirties until just a few years ago. I actively blog about it and related sexual issues on my blog The Rambling Cock.

Recently I dropped below 200 lbs for the first time since the mid-90s, and am headed for 175. I posted a recent blog entry to discuss how it's going, and how I'm experiencing the "in-between" (fat covering solid muscle) body.

I figured I'd launch this thread so people who are trying to lose weight and/or get fit a little later in life have a place to talk with others in the same boat.
Excellent blog, though I'd recommend dropping the banner dick shot (makes reading your blog more a secretive activity). Congrats on the weight drop. I'll be checking out updates.

Reactions: pwrdick and jozv

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Thank you. I've been thinking about changing the banner. Stay tuned on that. And I appreciate your support!

Update: I'm down 26 pounds from January 1st, 73 pounds from my all-time high. Just yesterday I bought now pants with a 36" waist, after donating a bunch that the waist sizes were between 44 and 46.

My target is another 22 pounds and a 34" waist.

Oh, and funny aside: my abs are getting pretty hard but still have a layer of fat over them. In the pool the fat floats, which is a bizarre sensation as it lifts up and away from the muscle.

Reactions: jozv and Don Logan

jozv

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I also went from lifting (although I did not have much success at gaining any additional size) to using free weights with the plan of simply maintaining my current shape. I used to work out 7 days a week, alternating between cardio and weights. I dropped cardio, and I'm wondering if that was a mistake. I DID, oddly, lose 3-5 lbs when I dropped cardio. Anyway, I'm thinking about how to change my routine again with age as a consideration. I HAVE thought about balance exercises. I fell a month ago while trying to climb over a snow drift and caught myself. My partner commented that he thought my workouts helped because it "would have been disastrous for others may age" (this annoyed me, as he's 30 years younger then me).

And as for diet, I've been on a ketogenic diet for 4 years now and also don't eat processed foods. I'm wondering if this is an optimal diet for someone my age. I'll still eat unprocessed foods (I make everything from fresh foods and eat a lot of vegetables), but I MAY go off of the keto diet.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Another issue I deal with is joint discomfort at times. I require a fairly lengthy warmup compared to my younger days... Or else pain. It manifests itself in my shoulders, elbows, and sometimes the knees. My doctor suggested CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10) for it (also suggested for folks taking statins).

Like most supplements on the market (sadly) there are no peer reviewed studies on it that I can find. But I must say for me it's one of the few times I've found a marked reduction in joint ache. Dips used to bother my elbows and shoulders. But after about a month of taking it, I think it's a winner. I should add I'm a plant based diet person with little vegetable oil and no fish that would normally provide it. I also consume flax seed meal in our dishes we make which helps too.

Craig101

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm so glad to stumble across this thread. Oddly enough, I just saw a news report yesterday about the importance of exercise, and in particular cardio for the many benefits it provides in improving mood, mental health, and helping to ward off dementia.

I'm 64, and as we age, our ability to maintain muscle mass becomes more important. As a lean person, I continue to try and incorporate weights both at home, and at the gym. On a good week, 2 or 3 times per week. For me personally, it helps add mass and get some definition, although I'll never be a big, heavily muscled guy. If I see my weight go up slightly due to more muscle, I'm happy about that.

I also like to run, so now that the warm weather is finally here, I'm enjoying getting out on some nice trails and paths about 3 times a week as well. If you can incorporate some of your exercise routine outdoors, it makes it all the more pleasurable. Not to mention the fresh air, and benefits of taking in some nice scenery, which is a real mood booster.

For those who have difficulties getting cardio from running due to joint issues or other restrictions, swimming is fantastic for overall muscle strength and cardio. I was in my best shape ever in my mid to late fifties when I combined all three. There are master swim groups too which are a great way to get a good structured workout if you are really into it as well. I enjoyed that a lot.

As others have mentioned, as we age it becomes really important to maintain our strength, bone density, balance and heart/lung health through some form of cardio.

There isn't one plan that fits all, so I think we just have to find what works for our own individual situation. Sometimes that might be by ourselves, doing something as simple as a walk, or doing something with a buddy or group. Did I mention I love hiking, biking , snowshoeing, and cross country skiing? So many great activities and ways to enjoy getting or staying fit as we age!

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Another issue I deal with is joint discomfort at times. I require a fairly lengthy warmup compared to my younger days... Or else pain. It manifests itself in my shoulders, elbows, and sometimes the knees. My doctor suggested CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10) for it (also suggested for folks taking statins).

Like most supplements on the market (sadly) there are no peer reviewed studies on it that I can find. But I must say for me it's one of the few times I've found a marked reduction in joint ache. Dips used to bother my elbows and shoulders. But after about a month of taking it, I think it's a winner. I should add I'm a plant based diet person with little vegetable oil and no fish that would normally provide it. I also consume flax seed meal in our dishes we make which helps too.
It sounds like you might have some joint inflammation or osteoarthritis.
I've been taking CoQ10 for over 20 years for the heart health benefits, which have been documented, after it was recommended by my cardiologist. I have never heard of it being used for joint pain, and I certainly have not experienced any relief from it.
I started supplementing with Turmeric (Tumeric is also correct) root about 6 months ago and find it to be effective at reducing joint pain.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It sounds like you might have some joint inflammation or osteoarthritis.
I've been taking CoQ10 for over 20 years for the heart health benefits, which have been documented, after it was recommended by my cardiologist. I have never heard of it being used for joint pain, and I certainly have not experienced any relief from it.
I started supplementing with Turmeric (Tumeric is also correct) root about 6 months ago and find it to be effective at reducing joint pain.
We use tumeric in a lot of our meals (with black pepper). Yes, I have some osteoarthritis. Many years of improper overuse I can assume. I think that's why the CoQ10 works for me (and my wife). I always assumed many of us over 60 have some type of arthritis.

Last edited:

JJ_Jumbo

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Very inspiring thread … so many people say diet and exercise and automatically think is all bout building muscle… bottom line is a lifestyle journey change and about bettering yourself. Each of us have a different reason why we choose the path we take and most have gotten to point where we are sick and tired of being sick and tired. Age is a number and it’s never too late to invest in yourself, I will be 52 and can’t imagine what my life would be like if I never found the gym. Please keep up this amazing thread and inspiring others … you all are incredible!!!!!

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I mentioned above the curious condition of being physically fit but carrying a stubborn layer of fat over muscles. So I had to laugh a few days ago.

I was in the yard tanning and got a text. I was on my stomach, so pushed my head and chest up so I could read my phone and felt a weird blip across the small of my back. Apparently the fat layer developed a crease that runs from one side of my back to the other, around two inches above my sacrum. The muscles underneath are reasonably toned now, so the fat folds over itself when I push up like I did.

That, added to the fold of fat on my abdomen (the topic of a blog post a month or so ago, IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH LOOK AWAY) makes for an odd appearance in the mirror. Hoping that once I'm off this plateau I've been on for a month, they'll both evaporate.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Time to revive this thread with Ab workouts for us "mature" folks.

Some of us over the years have acquired vestibuler disorders (random vertigo). Most times I just blow thru it as I've learned to coexist with it. On the days it would flare up I'd have to avoid workouts where I'm on my back with my head back. Doing abs was like coming off a carnival ride. Then my gym added one of these commercial level Total Gym machines:
Total Gym.jpg

I love this machine! No back issues. I can do them straight as shown (no that's not me). Or with a twist for the side of the abs. It rarely is used by others compared to the incline boards. I never get bored of the routine either. If yours has one (or you have a Total Gym at home), check it out.

Reactions: goldscorpguy

rbi99

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm 71 and have been lifting steadily since I was in my late 20's. I'm definitely not muscle bound, but in every workout I do I try to lift more weight or add reps. I'm smart enough and experienced enough to know what I can and can't do. Biggest change for me is the fact that I need extra days to recover after each workout, so I try to get two in a week. What really sucks is the fact that if I miss a couple of workouts it takes longer to get back to where I left off. I have actually kept a record of every workout I have done, along with what exercises, weight, reps and sets. My son says I should add it all up from over the years to see how many tons I have lifted. I do a lot of hiking in the woods with my dogs as well and have climbed my share of mountains while hiking/backpacking in NY. I'm fortunate that genetically my joints are good, I am healthy and have never been overweight. I used to workout to be at my best on the ball teams I played on, but now it is about trying my best to stay mobile and healthy for as long as I am able. On a side note, I have my own home gym, so I work out naked. Now that's pretty damn cool...!!!