Getting Hooked With True Crime Shows

kennethmarkzamora

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
John Wayne Gacy? :imp:

never heard of him but now. wow, 29 bodies, he must be an absolute weirdo and people were just ignorant. he looks and seems freaky to me people back in the day for sure were ignorant and naive. red flags in the community must be invisible to them

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I have watched way too many episodes of the new detectives/medical detectives or better known as forensic files.
I lean to forensics, too.
Bones, NCIS for Ducky, Jimmy and Abby, even Crossing Jordan.
Weird, because I’m pacifistic and have a low violence threshold.

Reactions: alpha_centauri

Is it weird to like watching real crime shows? I just recently got hooked and I don't know if it's weird or okay. Or if anyone is or has been experiencing it too?

You are becoming what is called a "Crime Junkie"

I'm one too. There's nothing wrong with being a fan of True Crime documentaries / shows / podcasts. Just don't become so obsessed to the point of trying to become an amateur detective and unintentionally impeding professionals. I know this is a bit extreme to mention, but amateur sleuths exist and they can ruin investigations. There is remedies, if one felt the need to help, there are volunteer organizations like local Crime Stoppers, etc.

accidenttourist

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
never heard of him but now. wow, 29 bodies, he must be an absolute weirdo and people were just ignorant. he looks and seems freaky to me people back in the day for sure were ignorant and naive. red flags in the community must be invisible to them

29 known bodies...
The freakiest aspect of the Gacy story - he was a charismatic charmer when he wanted to be so. A Democratic precinct captain, his community actually was in total denial, when the first investigations came.
See the Secret Service lapel in the photo below?

zdyjrtx9vbd21.jpg

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Chris’s Watts was something else. I just don’t get him at all. Not intellectually, not emotionally, just not at all. Currently I’m watching a bunch of stuff on Mark Redwine. I’m gobsmacked.

If you watch YouTube at all, check out Stephanie Harlowe. Really well researched, in depth analysis.
Did you avidly watch the Robert Stack era Unsolved Mysteries? Classic!

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I've worked w some of the most hideous offenders over the years and I used to feel a strong need to find out "why" they did it and "how" they got that way. The patterns are fairly similar in most cases.

In terms of true crime documentaries etc, it's simply that people need to know the gory details. It's like watching a car crash, you can't look away but as its not involving you, you can sit and just observe. I think it's human nature. Finding out whether we could do the thing these supposed monsters have done.

I find they are often rather bland human beings, often inadequate w a problematic relationship mother (overly attached) and a history of sexual or domestic violence from father figures.

I don't believe people are born evil. But maybe having met some of the worst I have a different perspective. Most I've met are rather dull in real life.

I sure did! I loved Robert Stack! The new one on Netflix just isn’t the same without him.

I do like that they at least honor him by showing his silhouette in the title card. The new series of Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix is okay, but the episodes on supernatural stuff just feel out of place. The original Unsolved Mysteries had multiple segments in each episode so the supernatural stuff fit in and felt like an extra. Now it's weird to watch episodes related to true crime, and have the odd episode of hauntings sprinkled in.

Robert Stack was an amazing actor, outside of Unsolved Mysteries, I love how his serious nature contributed to the roles he played in comedy movies. Airplane is one such example, and another is Beavis and Butt-Head Do America.

Justfname1

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
This youtuber garners millions and millions of views sharing true crime stories while purring on make up. She does it salon gossip style and it's entertaining. Watching a good number of this kind of shows, I realize that the most lethal suspects are the ones that are high functioning and good looking.

kennethmarkzamora

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This youtuber garners millions and millions of views sharing true crime stories while purring on make up. She does it salon gossip style and it's entertaining. Watching a good number of this kind of shows, I realize that the most lethal suspects are the ones that are high functioning and good looking.

yup i like her! im not so much into true crime videos where the narrator is talking in front of the camera, but i watch Bailey because she's talking but doing something creative at the same time! it's nice to see the before and after of her make up while talking about crimes in a gossip style.

Cosgood

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I sure did! I loved Robert Stack! The new one on Netflix just isn’t the same without him.
The Pluto app has a 24/7 Unsolved Mysteries channel. One of the few "background" channels I'll leave it on when I'm doing stuff around the house. They're all waaaaay old now, but fun to watch for nostalgia. Stack is icing on the cake. The new series is okay, the cases are interesting, but without Robert, they're just like any other crime show.

Reactions: LaFemme

kennethmarkzamora

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Has anyone seen the Burari deaths on House of Secrets? I have watched the trailer and i already could never watch it. It's one of the most spine-tingling disturbing and creepy cases ive seen and that's just on a trailer. I'll never watch this even if i am hooked with true crime stories.

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Has anyone seen the Burari deaths on House of Secrets? I have watched the trailer and i already could never watch it. It's one of the most spine-tingling disturbing and creepy cases ive seen and that's just on a trailer. I'll never watch this even if i am hooked with true crime stories.
Where is it broadcast?

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I love The First 48 and Evil Lives Here.
Gives you a heads up on really how many bad people there are!!

That is a good one. I like the one with (I think), Parker Dietz, or is it former profiler Candace (maybe wrong first name-but she is on "Dangerous Women") called "Most Evil."

Reactions: Candela