Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
find something fixable. fit it.
accomplishing something, even a small task, gives me a lift.
satisfaction... some tangible evidence of my ability to alter my situation.
an expression of will in the face of being powerless/overwhelmed.

most of my downs are triggered by a perception of personal atrophy.
all frustration. resentment. a bit of entitlement :redface:.

failing that? crank the aggro soundtrack, kill someone off in script&ink.
favorite characters often meet grisly ends when my mood darkens.

the above only works for "funks"
real depressive episodes... yeah.. i ain't figured that one out.
:frown:

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I'm sad I tend to do things that make me happy. Not in any particular order, play with my animals, give my dog a bath, garden, sing, listen to music, ride, create something crafty, painting, call a friend if I feel like talking which I usually don't...

I try my best not to dwell on whatever it is that's got me down. Sometimes that's impossible, but I tend to bounce back with a quickness. I don't want to be sad so I force myself away from the sadness.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I play my guitars, sing, paint, write, or just make something with my hands like an amp or a pedal. I record music and mix it. Sometimes, though, I'm just too drained to do anything creative, but fortunately, the universe is full of things which, if I didn't know better, appear tailor-made to help me with my troubles.

What works best is to get outside myself. Listening to other people talk about themselves gives me a lift like nothing else. It doesn't matter whether they're talking about their triumphs or woes, it just does me a world of good to know I'm not alone. Physical activity, especially outside during daylight hours, is also helpful. I have depression, which, fortunately, is well-managed at the moment. I'm grateful for that, and looking at things from a perspective of gratitude also helps tremendously. I am also well-enough acquainted with depression to know that sometimes it requires medical help, and will not allow myself to go on too long without seeing a doctor.

For me, it's all about being open. When I close myself off, I can quickly get into trouble.

Sadness that is related to a particular event? I experience it, and grieve. I have enough life under my belt to know that this too shall pass, whatever it is.

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In no certain order...

Doing dishes

Elliptical trainer

Weight lifting

Going to the pistol range

Going to the driving range

Getting a massage

(I hope this is just a general, hypothetical question...and not one that you need right now...)

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I find the easiest way to deal with it is to DO. Seeing something you can do to make things better, and do it.

Also, the whole self isoltating and not having fun thing is a big trap. Depression begets more depression, and pretty soon things snowball until one is in deep trouble. Getting out and doing things helps, even if it's just to see a movie or a show.

Taking a drive is nice, just doing something out of the ordinary.

It's also good to establish a routine, and stick to it. Set some goals, attain them. That's a real boost to the self esteem, and can make the dark clouds lift for awhile, at least enough time to get some clarity on the situation.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In no certain order...

Doing dishes

Elliptical trainer

Weight lifting

Going to the pistol range

Going to the driving range

Getting a massage

(I hope this is just a general, hypothetical question...and not one that you need right now...)

Dishes? You can come over and do mine!

I think the lack of sunlight in winter triggers a funk for me, that and I hate the cold weather.

I went to a lecture at the museum last night which seemed to get my mind off things. I am planning to go to the beach this weekend too.

Lot's of pearls of wisdom folks have posted here.