getting the ladies

Discussion in 'Show Off' started by Imported, May 6, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

speed: I think that I am now ready for finding another girlfriend after a few months out of the ol game.

I'm curious, has anyone thought of using pheromones? I was reading about them and I smelt one which smelt like ass (not that I usually smell ass).

I wonder if they really work because I cannot find any reviews of the products anywhere online.

2. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: Personally, I don't think that pheromes are all that personally.

3. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Though the attraction through pheromones is a natural phenomenon, here's something to keep in mind: females emit pheromones to attract the male, not the other way around. Females cannot detect male pheromones because there's no such things. Manufacturers of these fad 'pheromone' products know this, but they're counting on the fact that the 'lovelorn' don't know shit about biology.

4. jonb

Gold Member

Whopper's right. The male is supposed to attract the female visually.

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Jonb-

Isn't it funny that with the human species it's usually the other way around..or that's what they would have you believe...

That's why male birds, for example, are generally more colorful and prettier than female birds. Ever seen a female mallard? Duullll.

7x6&C

6. Imported

Gold Member

Steve26: I don't mean to get us too far off topic here, but there definitely are such things as male pheromones. See this description of a recent study at the University of Pennsylvania:

http://www.upenn.edu/researchatpenn/article.php?608&hlt

I actually know these scientists. Granted, their findings don't say anything about whether women are attracted by male pheromones ... but men clearly do have pheromones and these compounds do have both psychological and physiological effects on women.

That said, I really doubt my scientist friends would advocate paying big bucks for pheromone-laced cologne. Sorry, Speed. ;)

Steve

7. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

[quote author=Steve26 link=board=youth;num=1052228862;start=0#5 date=05/06/03 at 16:00:44] there definitely are such things as male pheromones. Granted, their findings don't say anything about whether women are attracted by male pheromones [/quote]

Okay, what I should've said is "Males don't emit pheromones that act as a sexual stimulus." True enough all mammals produce pheromones regardless of sex, but only the females' pheromones are used to induce mating.

8. Imported

Gold Member

mr17yearold: i think ur wrong DMW... although im only 17... so i may be naive....

when i work up a really big sweat... and even more so when i j/o.... there is a distinct smell... very pungant...and i know its not from bacteria or anything like that... because i keep very clean... and use deoderant...

this smell is sorta repulsive to me... but i would assume that this is a male pheromone...due to my apparant hygene....

to the second statement, male pheromones dont attract females.... i would also disagree

when i wear colone... and take the bus to school (yes... i take the bus... shuddap).... i get comments from chicks on the smell, and how incredibily good it smells...even if i only wear a small amount...

from this, u can conclude that females find particular smells on men attractive... and probably a factor in a relationship(not a HUGE factor, but i bet it is on some chicks lists).... so this means that perhaps... the smells made when men work up a sweat... a male pheromone is released...and i would believe that it has some effect on the female psyche... or else why would we produce pheromones... it does not make biological sense...

and that is my opinion

9. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

First off, sweat and cologne are not pheromones. Pheromones are chemical identification scents, not body odour or a toiletry. Learn what a pheromone is and how it is produced.
    Secondly, there is another reason for pheromones. The chief use of pheromones by males in the animal kingdom is marking of a territory. The female will pick up on a rival male's pheromone scent and it warns her that she's straying out of her mate's territory and thus may be in danger. It does not induce her to have sex with the rival male.

10. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Well, here's something for you. As you read this post, I would like you to remember that though humans are complex animalians representative of sentience and articulated thought, we're still part of the animal kingdom.

I read about [link=http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/62/71658.htm]a study[/link] in which scientists subtly introduced women to male pheromones, double-blinding to ensure women weren't turned off by realizing that it was a sweat extract being placed on the upper lip. The women reported over a period of six hours a noticeable decrease in tension and an increased in relaxation and comfort. Biologically, what was happening in their bodies was the surge of luteinized hormone production, a vital component of successful ovulation. This particular hormone surges in production anyway during the menstrual cycle, but the introduction of male pheromone helped regulate the surges during non-menstrual time as well.

Remember that male pheromones are of two different persuasions: "signalling" pheromones which may be akin to the examples specified in our animalian brethren (which would tell the female rhesus to stay within her male's territory) and "priming" pheromones which are of closer relation to the sexual attractions between Homo sapien men and women.

So, though sweat probably isn't the thing that does it for women, per se, biologically speaking, the pheromones elicit an effect.

11. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: [quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=youth;num=1052228862;start=0#9 date=05/07/03 at 04:58:16]So, though sweat probably isn't the thing that does it for women, per se, biologically speaking, the pheromones elicit an effect. [/quote]
    So that's why I like licking my sweat! :D

12. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Well and wasn't there a study (please excuse my lack of background information - but I'm sure it's out there somewhere on the net)

It involved the smell of sweaty garments by women and it was found that they actually were attracted to men who shared some sort of genetic code that made their sweat smell like their father's? Does anyone remember that, or did I dream it?

7x6&C

13. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

I showed my biology professor the posts in this thread, and it elicited a chuckle from him. I asked his opinion. The following is based on what he told me.
    There is no solid evidence that pheromones are emitted through perspiration. The main transmission of male pheromones in lower mammalians seems to be through urine and directly into the environment. If male pheromones do affect female sexual response, it most likely has nothing to do with sexual desire. Let's take the wolf, for example. When nature alerts her that it's optimal time for breeding, she will be receptive to her mate's advances ... and only those of her mate, not a random wolf she picked up at some singles bar. The male feels need for sexual gratification; he personally doesn't care whether or not he knocks up Mrs Wolf. He'll provide for the offspring, but fatherhood was not his driving force. The female wolf's main objective was reproduction. She may feel sexual pleasure during the act, but that's not her priority. She feels the biological need to propogate the species. The male pheromone might alert her to the mate's presence, but it does not 'arouse' her sexually. And a male pheromone that corresponds to the type of pheromone she emits is completely unnecessary: the female wolf does not pursue the male. He will seek her out.
    On the subject of the smell of male human sweat: if this were a pheromonally produced response, we should expect a more universal effect. Some women do find clean sweat appealing, but how many guys here have heard, "don't touch me until you've had a shower"? Do we assume these women are immune to the effects of pheromones? The more likely explanation of the appeal of the scent of sweat is personal preference, not pheromones.
    Having said all this, I think we'd all agree that 17's slapping on some cologne is hardly akin to emitting pheromones. And I hardly think that smelling his natural body odour causes women to lapse into paroxysms of sexual desire and begin ovulating like crazy.
    These supposed 'pheromone' formula fragrances are probably a waste of money except for one thing: if a man uses it and thinks he has 'science' on his side, it might instill in him a sense of confidence. I think most of the women would agree that a man's self-confidence is sexy.

14. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: No fair! You have access to professors!

:D

Your last point is perhaps the most salient - confidence is the sexiest thing bar none most women tell me.

7x6&C

15. Imported

Gold Member

Steve26: DMW, you and I are on the same wavelength! Since I don't claim to be a pheromone expert, and had gotten pretty curious about the whole topic, I sent an e-mail this morning to the researcher who did the study I referenced earlier. Here's what he said:

"Steve: In a nutshell your friend is half correct: there is NO data to demonstrate that human males produce an endogenous substance that is attrative to women (a fantasy that many of us wish or wished (when single) for; male moose, elephants and pigs all produce urinary or salivary odorants that are sexually attractive to females that are hormonally ready (eg in estrus)."

Take-home message: Go easy with the pheromone cologne, or you might attract a horny female moose, elephant, or pig!

P.S. to DMW: You're pretty daring, sharing a Large Penis Support Group thread with your prof. As you can see, I only mentioned a vague "friend" to the scientist here ...

Steve ;)

16. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

[quote author=Steve26 link=board=youth;num=1052228862;start=12#14 date=05/07/03 at 14:04:34]
    P.S. to DMW: You're pretty daring, sharing a Large Penis Support Group thread with your prof. [/quote]

Not too daring ... I see this particular prof at the clubs pretty regularly, so there's no huge secret. More than once he's put a $5 bill in my g-string! He finds it amusing that five of his students are members of the Large Penis Support Group.

17. jonb

Gold Member

[quote author=7x6andchg link=board=youth;num=1052228862;start=0#4 date=05/06/03 at 12:37:34]Isn't it funny that with the human species it's usually the other way around..or that's what they would have you believe...[/quote]

Yeah, well, there actually are quite a few cultures where the men attract the women, who then choose which man they marry. It would be well-known, but some Samoan girls lied to Margaret Mead, and the rest is history.

18. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: Well Dee, i could argue with you on the 'we are still part of the animal kingdom'....in biologic respects we are, but what separates us is civilization. And i think thats the key.

Lets, for kicks, assume we do have the pherumones (dammit, thats a hard word for non natives people). And yes, it might be the case that if you 'place'these on the upperlip of a girl, her body might react to it (im not doing biology so help me out here).

BUT.....the girsl were blindfolded so there were no destractions, they were kinda forced to focus on the smell. And about sweat acting as a súre thing' stimulant....nah...it doesnt come that black and white people. Weve become choosy, picky, human beings with preferences choices. When a girl get a whif of these pherumones, her biological processes might react....that you have no control over....but that doesnt mean she'll get aroused by it. You might be so butt-ugly that she wont give those processes a chance. I hope im talking comprehensible.

In a nutshell what i mean is: our animalkingdom part makes sure that our body will react in someway to these pherumones. However, weve developed such brainpower over time that girls 'll need more to get aroused.....nice face, body, dick, car, house, candy, or re-runs of Oprah.

Its all about the mind....

19. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: [quote author=speed link=board=youth;num=1052228862;start=0#0 date=05/06/03 at 06:47:42]I think that I am now ready for finding another girlfriend after a few months out of the ol game. I'm curious, has anyone thought of using pheromones? [/quote]
    SPEND YOUR MONEY ON DANCE LESSONS INSTEAD!!

20. Imported

Gold Member

speed: [quote author=AnonyMs link=board=youth;num=1052228862;start=12#18 date=05/09/03 at 21:11:04]
    SPEND YOUR MONEY ON DANCE LESSONS INSTEAD!!
    [/quote]

That's funny, right when I read your post, I was looking up instructional breakdance and taebo videos.

Kind of strange. Well back to the subject, I don't think I will waste my money.

Draft saved Draft deleted